The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
curvedglass

Blinker Issues

One of my winter projects was to replace a faulty wire harness in the steering column of my 63. I ordered a replacement switch and harness from LMC. While I was at it I replaced the column bearings too. (3spd on the tree)

Now when I turn on the signals - the right side cancels just fine. the left signal is acting strange. The front signal will stop blinking when the wheels straightens out and the turn signal arm returns/cancels to the center but the left rear keeps flashing and I can hear the flasher noise. I have to jiggle the handle to the right signal in order for it to stop.

Anyone ever had this happen? Know a fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Electronics is not my strong suit.
curvedglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
argonaut

Re: Blinker Issues

The aftermarket turn signal units behind the steering wheel are very cheaply made. I had problems with the one in my 66. The way the plastic is molded around the switch contacts isn't very good. Mine was grounding out and doing weird things. When I pulled it out I could see how it was failing. I went and bought an "original gm" switch from Classic Industries and wow, what a big difference in quality. It did, however, cost nearly 4 times as much. I'm not sure if they make the original type for the 60-63 pickups but I'd try to find an original used one in good shape if they dont.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote