The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Chrispbrown36

Flywheel questions...

So today while I was putting my oil pan back in I look up at the flexplate and notice a shiny spot. This the best way I can describe it.....On the motor side there is what looks like a two prong fork. One of the prongs is intact and I can see that it is welded in place. The other prong is worn down about a quarter inch or so. So, I assume this is part of the flywheel since the one intact side is welded on, but what could be causing the wear to only one prong and not the other?
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Chrispbrown36

Re: Flywheel questions...

Sorry forgot to mention....87 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with 5.7L and a 700R4.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Does the worn spot look as if the part that is worn sticks out from the flexplate further than anything else on the plate? The torque converters on auto transmissions ballon forward and flex the plate that they are bolted to as the torque converter changes speeds. It is possible that your plate is rubbing on something onthe back of the engine or the starter gear as the balloning is happening. If you listen as you change speeds with your windows open you may hear the scraping noises. To eliminate this, change over to a SFI heavy duty flexplate and this won't happen anymore.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Chrispbrown36

It doesn't appear to stick out anymore than anything else on the flexplate. Now this has me worried about what it has been hitting and how worn that is. If it's something on the engine block....this could be very bad. The teeth aren't showing any wear at all.....isn't that where the starter gear would make contact? I had two sounds that I was asking about in another thread....one was a ticking while accelerating and the other was a rubbing sound while slowing down....both of which seem like they could be due to the flexplate issue. If this rain ever backs off I will just have to get under there and see what is going on.....and hope for the best.
The truck has been down for a couple of weeks. I have changed out the intake gasket, valve cover gaskets and all that. I was looking forward to getting her back on the road...looks like it's going to be a little longer now....
Old 04-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Chrispbrown36

The circled portion (only one of the prongs) is what is rubbing. I have not rotated it around to see if any other spot is showing wear.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Pine Bark Auto

Very worn crank / thrust bearing allowing crank to move back and forth? Look to verify where the rubbing is happening. If it is hitting the block and not just a out of position dust cover, My next move would be to check crank end play. Would have been much easier when the oil pan was off. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find. Chip.
Pine Bark Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Chrispbrown36

I will get under there and check things out as soon as these storms blow through.....sometime Monday....it sucks not having a garage! Thanks for the suggestions.