The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
67chevy1series

Re: 65 dodge d100 crew cab AKA ''she wants the D''

Well I sent him a reply asking if he had any pictures annnnnndddd nothing so might not be getting this one after all.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
eke82

i know three guys in Nebraska with these crew cabs and one regular cab all put cummins diesels and 3/4 4 x4 drivetrains in them pretty cool and they would get a kick out of the crown vics running gear because they also derby and run the crown vics.
eke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
67chevy1series

A lot of people think I just being "trendy" and going with the LS to be a "cool kid" instead of being more "unique" and going with a modern Hemi or a Cummins, now I will give the Hemi credit, it makes pretty good HP and pretty good Torque, the only problems are its pretty expensive and harder to find a used Hemi motor to buy and there a pretty large motor and probably more heavy then other motors. And the Cummins is great for pulling, towing, and hauling has good torque, but unless you do some modifications there still a diesel and diesels are meant for torque and not so much horsepower, horsepower can be achieved with a diesel but it take some parts, but the cummins is still a long heavy motor. The LS is one of the only modern motors that is relatively small in size, good HP, good torque, fairly light weight, and is fairly cheap and easy to find used or even rebuilt, it's perfect for cruising down the highway doing some hauling and towing, and getting decent mileage (especially since the dodge will be roughly 1600lbs lighter then the silverados that those LS motors have to pull around), that's why I'm recalling hearing towards the LS swap. What I also find funny is LS swap are a common swap, and although there has been sweptlines LS swapped, there's still very very few of them, the more common motors found in the sweptlines that I've been seeing is either the old school mopar sbc's, bbc's, new hemi's and cummins swaps. So in a way by putting an LS in my 65 I'm actual long doing a more uncommon "untrendy" swap haha
Old 04-09-2015, 01:58 AM   #4
67chevy1series

On a side note, I found avoid steel supply/welding shop today and I found a place that has a awesome selection of hardware, bought some 3/4-10-10 bolts but turns out the holes in the aluminum portion of the crossmember arent as big as the metal brackets from the coil over towers so ongoing to need to get 5/8-10-10 bolts instead, so when I go back to Merced. Hoping to ciut the steel I got today and get the frame welded back up fully and begin preparation for boxing and the bolting sections of the frame, I also did buy some weld thru primer so I don't have to worry about rust inside the boxed portion of the frame... More updates to come.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
67chevy1series

Well rounded up some stuff on Monday, managed to get the steering joint that connects to the ford rack from a Lincoln LS and I also got all 4 of the right bolts, they were much cheaper then I had anticipated. Also made some metal pieces from the cardboard templates I made and smas I started to weld those in I got to the last piece to complete the driver side rail and as I was getting everything in position to weld I hear the welder turn off..... And well I'm thinking it's pretty much dead, unless there's a fuse inside under a panel or something I'm pretty sure the circuit board or whatever it uses in there might be fried, I checked all connections, and I made sure the plug in in the wall was getting power and it didn't just pop the breaker. So as of right now progress on finishing the frame is to a halt. I did manage to weld those tabs on for the rear mounting points of the crossmember and primer the portion of the frame where the crossmember is with the weld thru primer. And I can still drill the holes in the frame for the front mounting points. So I'm going to see if I can take it to a buddies house and finish the welding there.