The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2015, 03:33 AM   #26
68c10airstream

Re: Steering gear boxes

If anybody really wants to get a certain road feel ( effort to turn the steering wheel) i would take a fish scale and attach it to the steering wheel and pull on it through the turn and record the value. This is the end result of tire size, tire pressure, pump pressure through the EXISTING SPOOL VALVE, steering wheel diameter, etc. Drive a late model what ever that has the correct feel and take a fish scale and record it to get the value. Now here is the touch part; send your existing gear box to someone (good luck) that will take your old box apart, look at the letter code on the spool valve and change it to what value spool valve you need to get your end results you want. This is all accomplished by the diameter of the spool valve in the center area as it's machined a little thinner in this area for a prescribed road feel. This info is all from my memory from the 70's but have never seen this info in it's completeness down to the nitty gritty details. The letter code stamped on the outside of the box correlates to this spool valve spec. I wish you all the best of luck with this new info i just put into your gray matter.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #27
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
I suggest 76 and newer to get o ring style line fitting
I believe that oring fitting didn't come until 80 of 81
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #28
70'

If your looking for a quick ratio in the correct box then go look into redhead steering gears. You can get a properly built quick ratio gear set up in the right box for your vehicle for a few hundred bucks sent right to your door in a few days. Great folks to deal with too. Don't mess around with your steering components, it's too big of a gamble when your flying down the highway.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #29
MySons68C20

I called Redhead yesterday and they quoted me $256.00 on a 15:1 ratio using my core or theirs.
That didn't include shipping but they had built boxes in stock ready to go iirc.
They were very nice on the phone and I'll be ordering mine there once I get to that point.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #30
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
How did it work? was it the close ratio style from a 76? Does our trucks have the 13/16" or 3/4" spline shaft?
Write a check for $299.00, send it here: Early Classic Enterprises. They will send you a quick ratio box made to fit your truck and if you send them your existing steering box in the same carton they will give you a $75.00 core charge refund. Then you don't have to worry about shaft sizes and spline counts.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote