The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
siggyfreud

Chevy and GMC Gauge panel dimensions?

Does anyone have, or could measure the dimensions of the Chevy and GMC gauge panels?

I'm considering picking up a 3D printer to start making different panels, however I'd like to ensure I get one big enough to print these. I know the Chevy aftermarket is covered, but it seems the GMC market is very limited, and most options don't include the outer ring needed. They just appear to be the right-sized backing plate, meaning if you don't have the original to steal from, your options are limited.

Cheers all!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
siggyfreud

Re: Chevy and GMC Gauge panel dimensions?

No takers huh? Was hoping someone might have the specs as I don't have a stock gauge cluster anymore.

I should be getting a CNC and Printer in June and would love to work with someone on building replacement bezels for GMCs if they were so interested.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

My 1960 GMC panel is 21 3/4" x 5 7/8". The width measurement is taken from the widest part of the removable panel near the bottom corners. The height is dead center, again at the greatest height of the front lip of the removable pan. I believe all 60-66 GMC's share the same dash, although the later models had a molded plastic insert rather than the metal insert of the 60-62(?) models.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
siggyfreud

Awesome, thanks for that info. I wanted to ensure I was targeting a machine big enough to potentially make something.

I ended up funding a kickstarter for a CNC/3DPrinter/Laser/etc/etc, so it should be interesting to see what it can make. I'll have to adjust to some new software, but I have a few years experience with 3D CAD tools, so should be able to hop in to some projects.

The machine should arrive in June, so at that point I'll see if I can find someone local with a dash I can borrow and replicate.

Thanks again Mark!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
Ennehazrad

I feel precisely the same way. I was thinking about making a custom cast backing plate for my '63, anyhow, the panel from a '64 C20 I pulled from a junkyard is 18" at its widest, by 4-11/16" at its highest. If you don't include the two nubs at the bottom, the measurement is 4-5/8". Hope this helps.
Note: I also have a gauge cluster from a '63, but have not taken it apart yet... soon enough!
Ennehazrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
siggyfreud

Thanks Enne!

I think the backing plate will be the easiest part, however the ring will be a tad more difficult to make. I'll start with plastic, and once I get the sizing right I'll try cutting some from aluminum and then carbon fiber. I'll likely make them two-piece setups, and add some nubs to the face of the backing plate that ring sets into.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Ennehazrad

... there's always this option too, which is what I was thinking. It will be an exact copy and can be made ready for a machinist or for casting. The only bump in the road I see is the price. Check this link out.

http://3dscanservices.com/default.aspx
Ennehazrad is offline   Reply With Quote