The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
baclay9

Wood pellet stove for workshop

Anyone using one? Found one that has a 120 lb hopper and is made for a 2200 sq/ft house I am thinking of using in my 1600 sq/ft shop with 14' walls. Shop and doors are insulated.

I live in central OK so I am thinking this would be plenty good for my winter needs.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Wood pellet stove for workshop

I don't have a pellet stove, but I heat my shop with a wood stove. Its 60x25. 35 feet has 14ft ceiling. The other 25 ft has 8ft ceiling. The ceiling is all at the same height, it's the level of the floor that changes. I have the wood stove on the upper part(about 6 ft off the ground compared to the lower part). That keeps me worry free about combustible gases. The shop has 2x4 walls and the lower part has a slab floor, with 4 ft of block(not insulated). There are also 3 4ft x 6ft windows on each side, and a 20x12 insulated garage door at the end. I use a small 18" fan to circulate the air.

I have the same wood stove in my house, and it will heat 2000 square foot to 72 when its 0 degress outside. But I have it ducted with my air handler. And 2x6 walls
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
NONHOG

Been years so I don't recall the details but I used one and it wasn't so great.
Seemed to take forever to heat up. It was a 24x30 with 14' walls shop so it wasn't the best fit. Lots of factors to consider. Sq. footage and volume.
Unless it was a sectioned off shop, I wouldn't do it again.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
cableguy0

Just get a wood stove instead. Pellets can never be found for free. Wood however can always be found for free.Open spaces are easy to heat with a wood stove.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Living in the middle of Kansas I wanted some additional heat and ambiance in my basement. I bought a stove called Cornflame. It burns corn or pellets and can burn 10-12 hrs by adding a 5 gallon bucket. I heated my previous houses basement with no problem. It was 1750 sq ft with an open stairway upstairs.
I bought the corn in 50 LB bags or by the truckload in bulk and stored it in 55 gallon trash containers and or a 150 gallon water feeding container.
It's about $75-80 for a truckload of corn and since we are in Kansas they always have it at the co-op. I hope this gives you another viable option.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
earl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Living in the middle of Kansas I wanted some additional heat and ambiance in my basement. I bought a stove called Cornflame. It burns corn or pellets and can burn 10-12 hrs by adding a 5 gallon bucket. I heated my previous houses basement with no problem. It was 1750 sq ft with an open stairway upstairs.
I bought the corn in 50 LB bags or by the truckload in bulk and stored it in 55 gallon trash containers and or a 150 gallon water feeding container.
It's about $75-80 for a truckload of corn and since we are in Kansas they always have it at the co-op. I hope this gives you another viable option.
That Cornflame looks very interesting. Never heard of it before. Intriguing.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Hogshooter

I had a wood stove in my 30x40 shop and it worked, but you had to plan ahead to get the shop warm and I had condensation problems when I went from no heat to warm shop even though the shop is well insulated. It made paint and bodywork a pain so I switched to natural gas and haven't looked back even though it costs more it works better IMO.
Hogshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
That Cornflame looks very interesting. Never heard of it before. Intriguing.
I ordered the nickel finished door for an additional $225 and had it shipped to the house. I lookedat the website and don't remember paying nearly half of the listed price. Here is the link to the 40,000 BTU version I had.
http://www.cornflame.net/40000.html
Old 03-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #9
ddubbs

I have a Rika Austroflamm pellet stove and absolutely love it. I am heat a 2500sq ft. House with a 24' cathedral ceiling. I live in Alaska and my house has been at 74-76 degrees at -20 outside. I burn 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 bags a day to keep the house that warm. The walls are 10" log. Now we don't have corn around here that corn stove sounds pretty awesome. Just thought I would add my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Projects
56 Chevy pickup Porterbuilt FR/RR dropmembers
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
kaycee

Just a thought here but the pellet/ wood stoves are great heat but they are designed to use 24 hrs to be the most effeciant. If your going to be in the shop 80 % of the time then yeah they are the bees knees. BUUUTT you have to store the product chips/ wood in a dry place plus it takes up some valuble space for all our treasures we need to store inside .JFYI
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycee View Post
Just a thought here but the pellet/ wood stoves are great heat but they are designed to use 24 hrs to be the most effeciant. If your going to be in the shop 80 % of the time then yeah they are the bees knees. BUUUTT you have to store the product chips/ wood in a dry place plus it takes up some valuble space for all our treasures we need to store inside .JFYI
I can appreciate that. I do however had an inside space to store them that is out of the way. My thought was "Get it warmed up quick with my tube heater and then maintain the heat with the pellet stove"
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
mdw

I am re-working the heat in my shop, I am going with a ceiling hanging gas unit, [propane] I have a wood burner now, I am changing as I want to free up space, now I wont have to worry about a wood pile, or the footprint of the heater taking up floor space in my shop, It is a 24x40 with 12 foot ceiling in half of it and 16 ft in the other. I can go out and turn the thermostat on, go in the house have a cup of mud and then go out to a warm shop, in theory, with the wood stove it was build the fire, let it get hot, stoke the fire, wait to heat up the shop, stoke the fire and on and on. I relize with a pellet stove it just add the pellets turn it on, but the storage area for the pellets takes space as well as losing the floor space from the heater. I have a tank outside the shop taking up little room, less than a wood pile, I dont have to carry or split wood or pellets, ad the cost is about the same. this just works for me.
mdw is offline   Reply With Quote