The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool no horn/run on wipers please help

Quick question how do I run a switch for the wipers to work because they will not turn off from the switch on the steering column? I have to get under there and pull the fuse out for them to turn off there's a green wire connected to the wiper fuse underneath the dash. The switch is new so it is not the switch.
So my question is how do I go about hooking them to on off switch and connecting it to the dash somewhere so I don't have to get down there every time I want to turn the wipers on or off. Had an accident last year and cannot lean down without having severe pain in my back. As always I thank you guys and I appreciate it.

On a side note my radio speakers will not work if the wiper fuse is pulled out, is that what this green wire is connected to? And my horn fuse blows everytime I try to put a new one in. So my horn has been out for about two weeks and driving in Houston you really need it.

90 suburban 350tbi
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
cfan10

Re: no horn/run on wipers please help

Does anyone know how to do this, my friend had this done years ago when the headlight switch went out.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Old 03-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
cfan10

C'mon guys help me out here...I know nothing about auto electrical working to rigg it up. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Liberty

Sounds like you have some very bad electrical gremlins you need sorted out.

First glance sounds like you have a bad ground.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
chengny

The wiring for the wiper motor is not easy to access - the hot wire is buried in the main harness that goes out to the engine compartment. It exits the back of the fuse block, passes through the firewall connector and goes up to the wiper motor.

Wiper on/off and speed control is accomplished by grounding the high/low speed motor windings by means of the column switch. Those leads are just as hard to get to as the hot wire.

It's fortunate that the wiper (and washer) motor is the only component fed by that 25 A fuse. Because no other equipment will be affected, and rather than the hassle of tearing into your wiring harness, you can install a cut-off switch across the line/load sides of the fuse.

Using ring terminals, attach two leads of a suitable length to whatever switch you plan on using. I would strongly suggest splicing an in-line fuse holder into one of the leads (the normal fuse will have to come out of the fuse block in order to do this).

Make up the other ends of the switch leads with male spade connectors. These will take the place of the wiper fuse tabs and be plugged into the fuse block - so use spades that are similar in size to the tabs on a fuse.

That's basically it. The rest should be obvious; pull the normal 25 A wiper fuse from the block, insert one male spade in each side of the fuse clips and secure/support the leads with wire ties.

After that, use the switch to turn the wipers on/off -until you get a chance to ring out the circuit out and make a proper repair.

Don't skip the in-line fuse I mentioned.

You didn't ask for it but the diagnostic chart for a wiper no-stop condition is below. You might consider doing a proper repair rather than going through the hassle and expense of modifying your stock wiring.

Also, if you have pulse wipers, try replacing the module. A common sign of a failed module is the wipers starting an running on their own with the switch in the off position. The module is accessed by removing the piece of trim under the steering column.

Finally, if you have a tilt steering column, try moving it to a different position. The wipers are actuated by grounding the negative side of the motor windings. This is supposed to only happen if the switch is in a run position but, if a lead is grounded within the column casing, the wipers will run independently. The tilt feature sometimes causes a lead to get chafed/cut and make contact with the column which creates a path to ground.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Bigstevex4

Its almost always the park circut in the motor thats bad. when they wont shut off New motor needed.
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
jermasaurus

Not sure if it is the exact same circuit or not but.....

I had an 85 c10 years back that the wipers wouldn't shut off. I threw parts at it, then finally diagnosed it instead. It ended up being the wiper pulse module- which was right behind the dash under the steering column (clipped in place). It had a plug at each end, and you could put the connectors together without the module in place. To be clear, you remove the module and just take the two connectors and connect them to each other.
I think they were flat connectors with maybe between 5-8 wires on each one?

Solved my problem, but you wont have pulse/intermittent wipers- assuming that might be your problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 View Post
Its almost always the park circut in the motor thats bad. when they wont shut off New motor needed.
I second this. I changed my switch twice. I changed the pulse module. My wipers still wouldn't shut off and the intermittent wipers didn't work. Finally, after much frustration, I changed the motor and that fixed everything.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
Bigstevex4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
I second this. I changed my switch twice. I changed the pulse module. My wipers still wouldn't shut off and the intermittent wipers didn't work. Finally, after much frustration, I changed the motor and that fixed everything.
Worked as a mechanic heavy equipment for decades then ran parts service small branch farm country feed lots and dairies. I need a new wiper switch wont shut off no its motor. they would be back return switch get a motor.
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
cfan10

Thought I would disconnect batt and put horn fuse in as it can't blow it it doesn't have power. Now it does nothing at all. Where is the horn relay on 90 suburban 5.7? Many thanks.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
RIDE-RED 350r

OK, since we are talking about wiper problems here...

How about wipers that work on high only?? Also, I have to turn them off at just the right time because they do not automatically park in the full down position. Delay doesn't work either...

I have tried swapping wipers motors, no change. Does the exact same thing

Frustrated....