The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
mw67rs

Pulling and installing new engine and transmission

I am planning to pull the old engine and transmission and install a new engine and rebuilt TH350 transmission. I am thinking about removing the NP203 transfer case from the truck and then possibly pulling the engine and transmission out together. I have done this in other vehicles but not in these trucks. It looks like there is room to do this but has anyone tried it? Any tips on doing it this way?

Also, any tips on pulling the transfer case? I hear it is quite heavy and I do not have a transmission jack. Will just a floor jack work? Any advice on how to secure it or steady it on a floor jack to lower it?
mw67rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Bigstevex4

Re: Pulling and installing new engine and transmission

I have pulled the trans case on my own and put back in on own with floor jack. I know this may sound a little back woodsy . Do out side just kick it off in the dirt wont hurt any thing inside use a tire need a pickup tire some thing wont collapse.
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Rubble

I've pulled a 205 before by just rolling under it with a creeper,pull it away from trans & onto me & then rolling out from truck.Put them back in that way 25 years ago,but I bought a tranny jack since then & made job easier. The 208s are way easier,don't used jack on them. I've learned that over the years,work smarter not harder....

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
mw67rs

Thanks for the advice. I have done some more research on the internet and have heard it is easier to remove the transmission and transfer case together and then separate them when they are out from the truck. Then pull the engine by itself. So I am considering doing it this way. There is no way I can can handle that thing by hand. Not nearly strong enough. I may see if I can find an ATV jack and use it to pull the TH350 and NP203 together. Does that sound like a good way to go?
mw67rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Bigstevex4

Rental places have tranny jacks.
In memorium
Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
cadillac_al

I pulled a trans and transfer together once and I thought it was pretty tough. Now I take the transfer case off first then the trans. I pulled and engine and trans out of a square together and I didn't like that either. I had to lift it pretty high and tilt is a lot. I now take those out separately too. I just use a floor jack too like bigsteve. I wish I had a trans jack though. If i did maybe I would take the trans and transfer together but I don't think it's any easier putting them together on the ground.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Bigstevex4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I pulled a trans and transfer together once and I thought it was pretty tough. Now I take the transfer case off first then the trans. I pulled and engine and trans out of a square together and I didn't like that either. I had to lift it pretty high and tilt is a lot. I now take those out separately too. I just use a floor jack too like bigsteve. I wish I had a trans jack though. If i did maybe I would take the trans and transfer together but I don't think it's any easier putting them together on the ground.
I pull the transfer case then the trans. they have to come apart any way. and never pull trans with engine.
In memorium
Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
Rubble

I've pulled engine & trans together but I also pull the front clip first.My brother inlaws father told me about this years ago & it works good for me.Especially on any of my lifted trucks.I've always pulled trans case first & then trans,with my jack it's supported better this way too.

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote