The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
SourTooth307

Going Off-Roading in 3 Weeks

Hey everyone, it's been a while so I thought I'd see what's up. Got myself a new truck a few weeks ago, my first new vehicle ever a 2015 Silverado. I love it to death as my regular daily.

My buddy and I finally set ourselves a date in 3 weeks from now to take our first off-roading trip. I'm looking to do what I can to get my 84 Scottsdale ready for what would be a pretty mild run of trails and beginner stuff. I feel like my truck is ready enough, engine is tuned and running nicely, new throttle cable and return springs, and planning to do a coolant flush soon.

There is a very mild hiccup when it shifts from 1st to 2nd but I'm not convinced that will be an issue on some simple beginner trails, no rock climbing or mud bogging intended. I wanted to know what else I should look at just to be sure everything will be ready to go. Front end looks ok, I do have replacements for the steering link parts that go from the steering box to the front end. Forgive me but I forget what the parts are called, they're what look like two ball joints with threaded arms and an adjusting sleeve in the middle held on by hex nuts locked by cotter pins. It adjusts the steering wheel's position only and doesn't impact the currently perfect front end alignment. The wheel is off center and the adjusting sleeve is frozen and can't be adjusted anymore. I'd also like to put a smaller steering wheel on it for more accurate turning.

Need to check the diffs out and make sure the fluid itself and levels are up to snuff. I feel like there is some play in the rear I'd like to find out why and where. Suspension looks and feels good, frame looks sturdy for as old as it is. Engine and trans mounts are all good from what I can tell. Exhaust is hanging a little haphazardly so I wouldn't mind adding some hangers to secure everything a little better.

Anyone catch something I missed? Let me know since you guys must know these trucks better than I do.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Texas Edition 5.3L 4x4
SourTooth307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
enaberif

Re: Going Off-Roading in 3 Weeks

Check transfer case vents
Check fluid levels in transfer case and diffs
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
crashz

I'd change the fluid and filters on everything before I went out (engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, brake fluid, power steering fluid, fuel filter), grease everything that is grease-able, check for any play in the steering and drive shafts (might be U joint play instead of the rear end) and clean up the battery connections.

Its good time to check out the wear items (belts, hoses, brake pads, etc) and thoroughly go through the truck. Fix any leaks you come across.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashz View Post
I'd change the fluid and filters on everything before I went out (engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, brake fluid, power steering fluid, fuel filter), grease everything that is grease-able, check for any play in the steering and drive shafts (might be U joint play instead of the rear end) and clean up the battery connections.

Its good time to check out the wear items (belts, hoses, brake pads, etc) and thoroughly go through the truck. Fix any leaks you come across.
All good stuff, I'm gonna be setting some weekend days aside to do most of this stuff before we hit our mark.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Bigstevex4

Just go stop worrying. Sorry But change all the fluids before you go? I lived off road for decades. Change diff oil when you get back if you got in any water? With 2 vehicles your
good of corse check oil water the normal stuff. I get on a bike forum guy have list of spare stuff wouldn't fit truck. Enjoy! You drive your self nuts planning for every contingency. Unless your driving from Cape horn to barrow Alaska.
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 View Post
Just go stop worrying. Sorry But change all the fluids before you go? I lived off road for decades. Change diff oil when you get back if you got in any water? With 2 vehicles your
good of corse check oil water the normal stuff. I get on a bike forum guy have list of spare stuff wouldn't fit truck. Enjoy! You drive your self nuts planning for every contingency. Unless your driving from Cape horn to barrow Alaska.
I popped open my transfer case and there was no fluid in it. I looked at my front diff and it was down quite a bit. So yes.. unless you have been maintaining your truck.. Its at least suggested to check and no harm in replacing.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
crashz

Seemed to me like Sourtooth was going through his truck, mostly for this trip, but also because its old and he is doing PM. He also asked what to do to prepare.

I see what you are saying though. I had a 76 blazer that was so rusty, I could never drive it on the road. But it was a fun off road toy. I never bothered to change fluids. Make sure it had engine oil, water and go. Gassed it up with a 5 gallon jerry can.

But I knew that truck was going to the bone yard.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
86c20

i have to go with this. check for things that are the main things. oil in everything make sure there full. water pissers for windshield. lights things like that. when you get back thats when you will want to change everything if you have been going through water or mud. ask me how i know this? cost me my diff in my d60.
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #9
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I popped open my transfer case and there was no fluid in it. I looked at my front diff and it was down quite a bit. So yes.. unless you have been maintaining your truck.. Its at least suggested to check and no harm in replacing.
Yeah I was thinking at least this. If I break a front end part or something oh well but I'm not trying to ruin any major drivetrain stuff. To be honest I've owned it a little over a year and haven't ever gone into the diffs. Just not used to thinking about them honestly.