The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
samples45

Engine positioning

Put my engine in to mock up the mounts and I have 4 problems.. I'm sure I can change one thing and fix them but not sure, first, my oil pan and harmonic bal is real close.. Second, the motor mount is real close to the steering shaft. Third the valve covers are close and last my trans is right up against the trans tunnel.. The motor is already leaning back 5 degrees. Advice please

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  34.1 KB
samples45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
samples45

Re: Engine positioning

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  31.8 KB

Not sure why they are sideways.. I don't know how to fix that on my phone..
Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

had the harmonic balancer to close for comfort on my build , was told the engine torqued in a circle and not up or down motion but I changed it to a 6 inch balancer anyways for piece of mind. The change to a smaller balancer wont affect your engine as I believe the corvette 350 engine ran them
1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

As far as the trans hitting the cab you can shave the lip off bottom of cab and weld it and shave some aluminum off the trans molding line ,this gave me about .5 inch extra clearance
Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952 View Post
As far as the trans hitting the cab you can shave the lip off bottom of cab and weld it and shave some aluminum off the trans molding line ,this gave me about .5 inch extra clearance

I'm planing on changing mine to a smaller one as well.. But thanks! I'm gonna have to do some cutting on the trans tunnel. How much should my motor lean back? Or should it be level from front to back? It's about 5 degrees leaning back right now
Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
mdpaulson1

found this if helps, it is a guide for determining angles for engine and pinion, I'm sure there will be better answers coming soon http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...#axzz3XUKAGwpV
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
OrrieG

I would put the intake on and check distributor clearance too. That way you can also see if the carb surface is relatively level. With the carb level the engine and trans are at 4 degree down angle. I think you might be moving your engine a little forward which will help with the trans clearance, but add to the HB - steering conflict....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I would put the intake on and check distributor clearance too. That way you can also see if the carb surface is relatively level. With the carb level the engine and trans are at 4 degree down angle. I think you might be moving your engine a little forward which will help with the trans clearance, but add to the HB - steering conflict....
When you say 4 degrees I hope you mean 4 degrees downslope towards the cab! Lol there's no way it could go the other way..
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
_Ogre

what front suspension are you running?
task force truck came factory with a v8, there is room

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
Ricos54

I put my engine as low and far back as I could. I shaved the lip around the tranny on the cab almost to the floorboard. I push the engine so far back my motor mounts are behind the Mustang II. My harmonic is about 1" above my MII crossmember (maybe closer. Lol) I also use 3 knuckles for my steering which is normal. I had to put hugger headers because I had no room. Headers about a couple inches from the frame. The lower and far back the engine is the better the truck will handle on the road.
Ricos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
what front suspension are you running?
task force truck came factory with a v8, there is room

I'm using the c4! The rack is making it fit tight. And I'm having to run my steering under the motor mount.. My mounts are on the front of the motor so the only place I can mount them is to the sides of the k member
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricos54 View Post
I put my engine as low and far back as I could. I shaved the lip around the tranny on the cab almost to the floorboard. I push the engine so far back my motor mounts are behind the Mustang II. My harmonic is about 1" above my MII crossmember (maybe closer. Lol) I also use 3 knuckles for my steering which is normal. I had to put hugger headers because I had no room. Headers about a couple inches from the frame. The lower and far back the engine is the better the truck will handle on the road.

I'm trying to also.. But there's only so much I can lol and I'm stuck
Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Ricos54

Also my steering linkage went underneath my motor mounts and I'm using a 6" harmonic balancer. It took me 3 days until I was happy with the placement before I welded in my custom motor mounts. I made mine out of DOM. Take your time before welding in anything. I just made sure my frame was level,both directions and the top of my intake was level which tilt the engine back and also I had my tranny mount on the tranny and had it In place. Make sure the tranny is directly in the middle of your frame going striaght back. Other than that, check once, check twice, check 10 times until your happy then weld.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #14
samples45

Quote:
Also my steering linkage went underneath my motor mounts and I'm using a 6" harmonic balancer. It took me 3 days until I was happy with the placement before I welded in my custom motor mounts. I made mine out of DOM. Take your time before welding in anything. I just made sure my frame was level,both directions and the top of my intake was level which tilt the engine back and also I had my tranny mount on the tranny and had it In place. Make sure the tranny is directly in the middle of your frame going striaght back. Other than that, check once, check twice, check 10 times until your happy then weld.
my steering linkage is real close to the bottom of my mount... its just so annyoing lol you move one thing and its not right in another place. Im gonna try to figure it out.. i gotta come up with a match for everything. my steering linkage wont work if its in a straight line and i think it needs to be right? i have shorty headers and for the linkage to work it needs to run towards the frame rail and then back in towards the cab but to me that doesnt seem like it would work. i could move my engine over to the passenger side about a inch and be in the clear for a straight linkages though so i may do that.. but then my trans wouldnt be in the middle of the frame
Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #15
Ricos54

Don't know if this helps, but here's my steering linkage with 30" column and you can also see how I cut the cab for my tranny.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #16
samples45

Quote:
Don't know if this helps, but here's my steering linkage with 30" column and you can also see how I cut the cab for my tranny.

This is making my head hurt lol for mine to work I'd have to put a joint coming out of the firewall for the steering linkage to go towards the frame a little bit and then another joint back towards the rack.. Is that possible?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #17
OrrieG

Go to Borgsens site, they have a great design section that shows the possibilities. I have seen linkages with a bunch of joints, just need to build supports every third section.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #18

You could also consider scalloping the bottom of the motor mount weld a triangular piece between the frame and mount to strengthen the mount. use a pipe of correct diameter to fill the scalloped portion with. Does that make any sense , I see it in my brain as working fine