The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

Arrow Bot Ford Boys Are A Totally Different Breed , Wierdos!!

OK i took some aadvice and ventured over to the rusty part of the net to the ford forums to find out what they thought a truck im looking at might be worth,, ive done this once before and ended up in a battle with 2 of the moderators within an hour of being a member , i had my membership revoked within an hour and a half , ha ha ha, so with thhelp of my wifes email adress i slipped back in over a year later , i simply asked what this truck might be worth , and the explanation i recieved was wayyyyyyy out in left field , these people dont even know how to throw a price on theyre kinda junk , here is the reply i got

Hi Mac. . . .

1st off Welcome to our community here at FTE. . . .

As for your query, what you describe is considered a "One Of" , a "Phantom" or in lay terms "Custom", because wht you describe was not OEM Produced in the period of the basic truck.

For example my Slick looks like a 66 F100 SWB Custom Cab 2Wd truck but looks are where it ends. It's on a later, rolling, chassis with with an engine that was not available in trucks for 8 more years, and a drive train that never existed, etc etc.

So there is no comparitive scale, other than other custom vehicles of like kind. Each of these "One Of's" will have it's own value and therefore it's own worth. Things like components, fit & finish, engineering, workmanship, function & performance and so on all combine to give the truck it's worth.

Depending on how nice it is, and how well built/ done it is, and how it drives/ runs/ performs the price can range thousands of dollars. There is no Standard Set Price for these things. . . .

Recently @ a Jackson - Barret Auction, a Camaro went for over $100K and so did a couple of Vettes. . . . . IMHO nothing ever built by GM is worth that kind of money, except maybe one of GMs' concept cars or Proto Type. But no Class 1 Stocker, whether old w/ low mileage, or top total "Pro Resto", in my head just isn't worth $100K+

So what you're asking has no set answer from this distance. As I try to point out there is no set of guidelines other than those an Automotive Appraiser would apply specifically to that one vehicle.
Having run all that out for ya, you are faced with 3 options, the way I see it Mac.

1) You can accept the sellers asking price as is

2) you can engage a gualified, licensed, Automotive Appraiser,

3) You can do some further research on that type of vehicle in your locale, the history/ provenance of that specific vehicle, get a qualified 2nd or 3rd opinion on the quality (design - engineering - workmanship) and go negotiate your offer against the sellers asking price. . . . .

Sorry I can't give you a more specific answer, but when vehicles get modified and/ or altered everything changes. It all then hinges on the qualities and drawbacks of that specific vehicle.

This all boils down to the point that non stock, non OEM Vehicles, in the final analysis are worth 2 different prices. From sellers point of view it's worth what "Market" will bear/ pay. From buyers POV, it's worth what you offer or are willing to spend, and then only if seller is willing to take that amount.

Anyway Mac, welcome to FTE and we'll be lookin for ya on the boards.

i then expressed my views on telling him how i dont even feel close to the same his GM comment , then told him about my 57 , and my blazer , but i was nice about it , i just said i like the looks of the truck and never really fooled with one and was wanting to know what kinda money i should spend ,, , you cant post pictures there, youre not alowed to ut youre email adress in any posts , i think the moderators name is Hitler or Stalin ,, somethin like that ,, any ways here is a pic , if any of you can guess,, there are more pics of it and a better description in my post here called please dont lynch me ,, thanks for listening to my rant ha haa h
Attached Images

MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
Robo_bot
Account Suspended

LOL WTF

LOL WTF is wrong wit those morons but i guess thats what u get for going into a FORD! forum lol
Robo_bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

i guess youre right robo , i deserved it , ha ha ha
Old 02-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Re: Bot Ford Boys Are A Totally Different Breed , Wierdos!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MAC67
1st off Welcome to our community here at FTE. . . .
Okay, nice start.

Quote:
As for your query, what you describe is considered a "One Of" , a "Phantom" or in lay terms "Custom", because wht you describe was not OEM Produced in the period of the basic truck.
I wonder if he meant "One OFF" instead? I've never heard anyone refer to, well... anything as a "One Of" unless they said, "One Of A Kind"

<snip stuff about his 66 F100>

Quote:
So there is no comparitive scale, other than other custom vehicles of like kind. Each of these "One Of's" will have it's own value and therefore it's own worth. Things like components, fit & finish, engineering, workmanship, function & performance and so on all combine to give the truck it's worth.

Depending on how nice it is, and how well built/ done it is, and how it drives/ runs/ performs the price can range thousands of dollars. There is no Standard Set Price for these things. . . .
Good point! Perhaps that's why he's turning to other enthusiasts on the Internet to provide their insight. The value of a custom vehicle is determined, like most everything else, by the marketplace.

Quote:
Recently @ a Jackson - Barret Auction, a Camaro went for over $100K and so did a couple of Vettes. . . . . IMHO nothing ever built by GM is worth that kind of money, except maybe one of GMs' concept cars or Proto Type. But no Class 1 Stocker, whether old w/ low mileage, or top total "Pro Resto", in my head just isn't worth $100K+
That's his opinion, but obviously the marketplace proved him very wrong. Again, the value of a classic vehicle is determined by what the market will bear. There are many more GM products worth $100k and more than there are Ford products.

Its a trivial task to show 10 high-dollar Camaros for every one high-dollar Mustang. Any 10-year old kid knows that, overall, 50's, 60's and even 70's GM vehicles are more desireable and, therefore, command higher prices.

Quote:
So what you're asking has no set answer from this distance. As I try to point out there is no set of guidelines other than those an Automotive Appraiser would apply specifically to that one vehicle.
Sure, an appraisal can get you in the ballpark, but you can get a damn good idea of a vehicle's worth by approaching a variety of potential buyers and determining an average. Besides, what data do you think the appraisers work from?

Quote:
Having run all that out for ya, you are faced with 3 options, the way I see it Mac.

1) You can accept the sellers asking price as is
Sure...

Quote:
2) you can engage a gualified, licensed, Automotive Appraiser,
Okay. Probably not worth the money, but okay.

Quote:
3) You can do some further research on that type of vehicle in your locale, the history/ provenance of that specific vehicle, get a qualified 2nd or 3rd opinion on the quality (design - engineering - workmanship) and go negotiate your offer against the sellers asking price. . . . .
Wait a minute! We have a winner, folks! What the hell does this guy think you were doing in the first place? Asking the opinions of other enthusiasts most certainly falls under the category of "further research" and (except, apparently, in the case of the Ford people) "qualified 2nd or 3rd opinion"

<snip the obvious>

Quote:
This all boils down to the point that non stock, non OEM Vehicles, in the final analysis are worth 2 different prices. From sellers point of view it's worth what "Market" will bear/ pay. From buyers POV, it's worth what you offer or are willing to spend, and then only if seller is willing to take that amount.
Failed Econ 101, eh? The two viewpoints don't matter squat. It's supply and demand against market determination and seller motivation, baby. The seller has a product that is in level X demand. If X is a low factor, the scale will slide on a motivated buyer otherwise the proposition of moving product is reduced. Period.

Quote:
Anyway Mac, welcome to FTE and we'll be lookin for ya on the boards.
Yeah, lookin' to rag on you for being a Chevy guy.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I don't get it? I'm confused as to what your complaint is about his response. Lets see, it was polite, extensive, offered factual comparison, and his "opinion" which is what you asked for. It sounds like you went there with a bad attitude...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

mutt , that is the absolute best ive ever seen ,, you deserve a tropghy , i would love to copy that and paste it in my thread at the "BAD PLACE" but there might be a potential buyer there , hell i dunno , i do know im not going back , i
Old 02-07-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

no i didnt go there with a bad attitude , i went there offering pictures to the largest ford enthusiast community i could find on the net , to help tell me whether a truck was worth buying or not , trying to be a little sneaky by not letting them know i am a chevy guy right off the bat or that i have no intentions on keeping this truck , and that my plan is to hock it on ebay. i didnt pick it out at first but i like the way shuttermutt broke it all down , he simply said i needed to go find other enthusiasts and find out what they would think ,hmmmmmmmmmm thats what i tried to do , then i also cant sit back and let someone bash a chevy so i politley slid in about a couple of my gm vehicles and even said that i liked the looks of the ford , just never tinkered with one , ill try to find my post again , and paste the adress here, you can see perfectly that i was not mean or arrogant in any aspect ,
Old 02-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

ok here is the adress of the post , believe it or not , one of the moderators deleted my post where i said i did not agree with his GM comment and i told about my 57 and 72 blazer , i swear to you i was not mean about it ,, i dont know ,, well heres the linkhttp://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201796
Old 02-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...hreadid=201796
Old 02-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
casey

I thought the guy responded ok, alittle preachy, but ok, I do agree their a little stuffy over there, and your right about the moderators, they totally picked a few of my threads apart when I post over there I guess those moderators have to just show the newbies who's boss. anyways back to the truck your looking at I'm thinking like around a 1000.00 providing it runs good, jm2c

Last edited by casey; 02-08-2004 at 12:06 AM.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

Hmmm, is it me or is the web page design on that board freighteningly similar, almost exactly the same as this boards.

WTF.

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
dinnut

Quote:
Originally posted by spencra
Hmmm, is it me or is the web page design on that board freighteningly similar, almost exactly the same as this boards.

WTF.

probably because there only a few really good board formats out there. they probably bought the same messaging board as josh did when he created this site.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
Bowtie67

Talking

there just Jealous because the dont have a and because their fords usually can't do this either.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote