The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
jrwild

Power Steering Install Problem

Hello All,
I recently mounted up a new quick ratio ECE power steering box, new high pressure line, new return line and new oreilly's power steering pump. I'm running into some issues and need advice.

1- started to do the air purge process with front end on jack stands & wheels off. Had a really odd thing happen in that when turning the wheel lock to lock the steering wheel would continue to turn at the bump stop. Talked to ECE and unsure of exact issue determined I should put the wheels on and attempt again.

2 - Purge air attempt number two seemed better at first with wheels on then started making clicking sound at full lock. Thinking more air still in system I continued to purge. Now the PS box appears to be really struggling and as if I don't even have PS.

Anyone have any ideas? Did I mess something up, short/high on fluid, have wrong PS pump (Saginaw style), need to update flow control valve.... how do I get the new system working correctly?

FYI, this is on my '68 which had working PS prior, simply made these updates to quickly repair leaks.

Jacob, DFW/TX
jrwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Power Steering Install Problem

Try this: On really stubborn power steering systems that just don't want to bleed, The Mr. Goodwrench guy at the dealer once told me to start the truck then turn the wheel to one side just SHORT of the lock then shut off the engine. This will purge air from the system. I was reluctant I thought the turning lock to lock thing would be better but I tried it his way once when I just couldn't get one to bleed and it worked. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Ratpick

Sounds a little confusing without being there, but seems like that steering box is not right. Do some more checking, probably return it/ trade it out. I've never had any issue near that trying to purge air. Is it worse to have your truck down a little longer, or wad it up down the street?
Ratpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
jrwild

I'm fine with the down time. I'm going on vacation for three weeks anyway, so no real loss. I'll probably try the steering wheel short of lock thing tonight. Then in the morning if it's still having a problem i'll see about exchanging the gearbox with ECE tomorrow and swap the pump just to be extra sure it's not the source of the issue.

Thank you for the comments!

Jacob, DFW/TX
Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
jrwild

Thanks Hugger6933. After leaving the wheel turned almost to lock overnight the air purged. Surprised that worked. Drives much better but...

I'm still having some small issues at full lock (clacking noise), struggles at slow speed and after troubleshooting a bit more signs are pointing to a bad/wrong PS pump. I'll be swapping the PS pump to the Oreilly's part#732-2112 (equivalent to the 20-6084) next to try clear up the problems completely. Thanks again!

Jacob, DFW/TX
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
jrwild

I'm trying to understand a bit better the flow control valves and any possible changes I should make to ensure proper flow to the ECE Quick Ratio Gearbox. Below are pics of my previous and the new flow control setup. Does anyone know the correct psi range for the ECE gearbox? Should I install a single shim as I had on my previous setup? Also, the new unit came with additional large and small o-ring, are these supposed to be installed or is the large o-ring (pictured) already correct?

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmi...steering-pump/ - picked up some good notes from this article..
Attached Images

Jacob, DFW/TX
Old 04-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
jrwild

Just got back from vacation and about to throw PS back together. On my 68 SWB, 350 SBC, ECE quick ratio gearbox...
  • Does anyone know if the new flow control valve (pictured above and without slit on top) will work for my setup?
  • Should I move the single shim over to the new flow control valve? How many shims is everyone else running?

Jacob, DFW/TX