The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
Larry S

Starting back on my project (vortec)

Hello. I haven't been on here in quiet some time. Pulled off the truck project for a while to build me a shop and get all my crap out of the basement. Shop is now complete and Im about ready to get back on the old truck. I have a 1969 c10 shortbed fleetside. It was originally a plain jane 6cyl 3 on the tree truck. I ended up buying a wrecked 1996 Silverado with a 5.7 vortec low milage from a good friend. I got all the harnesses, tranny, rearend. At this time Ive pulled the 6cyl out and have the vortec sitting in the frame on the 69. I relocated the gas tank to under the bed and installed a marker light fuel filler door. Ive replaced all floors, rockers, cab corners. The cab and front end has all body work done and in epoxy primer . I have a few questions concerning the swap. I plan to make this into a sweet ride but am more concerned with dependability than power. I don't know a lot about the computer engines, so any help is appreciated.

What is my best option for a fuel pump? Id rather not have it in the tank unless I just have to.
What is my best option for wiring? Should I use the factory 1996 harness or is it better to have one custom made for this application?
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Starting back on my project (vortec)

Send out your harness and have it converted to a 4 wire setup. that would be a constant hot switched hot a ground and a fuel pump trigger[ I think it has been so long.]Anyway there are companies like LT1 wiring .com that can make your harness a lot cleaner looking by taking out the wires you don't need. Have them reflash the computer while your sending them stuff. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
Larry S

Cool thanks.I have a lot done on the truck but a long way to go. My initial goal is to just get it where I can start it and move it around in the yard. Baby steps, haha.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Woody

LarryS,

Sounds like my project, except you are farther along. I have a 69 Short Fleetside with a 350 / 400t factory combo. I have a 99 Suburban with a 5.7 vortec and 4L60e. Going to convert it to a 2wd tranny. Vortec and Tranny are still in the Suburban (T-Boned in right side) Finished my 28' x 48' shop on top of the filled in in-ground pool last summer and ready to pull the 69 out of basement into garage. Damn shame we aren't closer we could do both of them together.

If you go to the build section of the forums there are a few folks that have installed LT1's from cameros and caprices. I have seen an in line fuel pump that I had thought about using. I have the Blazer tank but not installed it yet.

Actually my truck has been sitting for several years in the basement (since 2001). I repainted it back in the mid 90's and re-did the interior. Then KIDS got in the way, lol. wouldn't have it any other way....So now my boys are 26 and 23 (and both Eagle Scouts) and are bugging the crap out of me to get back to my truck now that I have a shop to work on it in.

LT1swap.com I believe is the place to re-program your computer. Plus they have the wiring diagram showing what needs to be pulled out of the harness.

Here is a short list I made from what others said needed to be done.

So far this is what ive had to do to get my LT1/4L60E into the '70...

Reprogram PCM for no emissions, different axle ratio, tire height, delete VATS.
Rework harness to get rid of all the wires I dont need.

Use 6 cyl towers and new sbc mounts - Not Sure about this either.

Notch frame for A/C- Don't think we have to do this with the truck Vortec as the A/C compressor is on top of engine.

EFI tank with pump and new 3/8" supply and return lines

The Optispark is a PITA to get to so while you have the engine out of the vehicle go ahead and at least put a cap and rotor kit on it.

I was going to use the factory water pump mounted fan instead to electric fans but have not got that far. Also looking at using the Vortec Radiator due to the P/S and Tranny Cooler lines both going to the radiator.

Good Luck,
Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #5
Larry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
LarryS,

Sounds like my project, except you are farther along. I have a 69 Short Fleetside with a 350 / 400t factory combo. I have a 99 Suburban with a 5.7 vortec and 4L60e. Going to convert it to a 2wd tranny. Vortec and Tranny are still in the Suburban (T-Boned in right side) Finished my 28' x 48' shop on top of the filled in in-ground pool last summer and ready to pull the 69 out of basement into garage. Damn shame we aren't closer we could do both of them together.

If you go to the build section of the forums there are a few folks that have installed LT1's from cameros and caprices. I have seen an in line fuel pump that I had thought about using. I have the Blazer tank but not installed it yet.

Actually my truck has been sitting for several years in the basement (since 2001). I repainted it back in the mid 90's and re-did the interior. Then KIDS got in the way, lol. wouldn't have it any other way....So now my boys are 26 and 23 (and both Eagle Scouts) and are bugging the crap out of me to get back to my truck now that I have a shop to work on it in.

LT1swap.com I believe is the place to re-program your computer. Plus they have the wiring diagram showing what needs to be pulled out of the harness.

Here is a short list I made from what others said needed to be done.

So far this is what ive had to do to get my LT1/4L60E into the '70...

Reprogram PCM for no emissions, different axle ratio, tire height, delete VATS.
Rework harness to get rid of all the wires I dont need.

Use 6 cyl towers and new sbc mounts - Not Sure about this either.

Notch frame for A/C- Don't think we have to do this with the truck Vortec as the A/C compressor is on top of engine.

EFI tank with pump and new 3/8" supply and return lines

The Optispark is a PITA to get to so while you have the engine out of the vehicle go ahead and at least put a cap and rotor kit on it.

I was going to use the factory water pump mounted fan instead to electric fans but have not got that far. Also looking at using the Vortec Radiator due to the P/S and Tranny Cooler lines both going to the radiator.

Good Luck,
Woody
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Larry S

Cool. I built a 30x48 3bay with 15'ceilings so I can put a lift in it when I get to that point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
hugger6933

EP 381 is the number for the in tank pump to run a Vortec. It is the same pump that was used on the port injected small blocks and will fit in the Blazer tank. There are tons of in line pumps you need on there that will produce close to 60 psi. I think the Vortec requires like 48 to 56 psi to open the injectors and for best operation.
in line pumps are a lot noisier and may not last as long due to the fact the in tank pump is cooled by the returning fuel. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote