The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Bagged1972

Radiator help

How's it going I recently purchased a new aluminum radiator for my 72 and went I went to install it the bottom fit good but when I went to put the top brackets on they stuck up above the radiator support about a inch. So I figured it was taller than factory but I checked the size of a factory replacement it's the same size the only difference is that it's a 1/4 thicker than factory so I'm stumped on what it could be so maybe you guys can lead me in the right direction in what needs to be done. Thanks
Bagged1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Mr Handy

Re: Radiator help

I replaced mine with a 4 row rad from Orielly. it was the same way. I replaced both top and bottom mounts. because the lower mounts are bolted in instead of riveted I made a little deeper pocked in the bottom rubber for the bolt head, then it is just a matter of bolting it all down, the rubber should compress and hold everything nice and tight.

In other words the mounts should brake in.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Bagged1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Handy View Post
I replaced mine with a 4 row rad from Orielly. it was the same way. I replaced both top and bottom mounts. because the lower mounts are bolted in instead of riveted I made a little deeper pocked in the bottom rubber for the bolt head, then it is just a matter of bolting it all down, the rubber should compress and hold everything nice and tight.

In other words the mounts should brake in.
Thanks so what your telling me is everything is good just the rubber has got to brake in
Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
leftybass209

The rubber isn't going to compress that far. Before I got my radiator situation taken care of, I had modified my brackets to fix this very issue. I took a razor and shaved the rubber until it better matched the contour of the radiator. I also took my grinder and clearance the lips of the bracket so they wouldn't bottom out on the radiator. Fortunately it's all invisible when it's put back together. Best of luck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Bagged1972

Thanks man I think I'll try shaving off a little of the rubber and see if that helps my problem I was thinking maybe if I could find a one piece upper bracket it might would work better but I have yet to find one for these trucks
Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
leftybass209

There used to be a board member that made them. It had speed holes in the top, and appeared to be a flush sheet of aluminum or steel. I think that would be the cleanest route to go, but I don't have the metal fab skills needed!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
Raleighswb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
There used to be a board member that made them. It had speed holes in the top, and appeared to be a flush sheet of aluminum or steel. I think that would be the cleanest route to go, but I don't have the metal fab skills needed!
Hotroddynamicc makes the one piece with or without holes I have the one without holes nice piece
Posted via Mobile Device
Raleighswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
FlameOut

I was about to buy a new radiator myself and didn't even think about that problem. One question though, are there different width radiators for these trucks? I wondered that because of that extra bracket mounting hole, as shown in the second photo above, and the shroud I bought is to wide for my current rad

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote