The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
63longfleet

Spindle rubs on upper control arm

Ok so here is my latest dumb question. I installed control arms off a 79 suburban on my 63. I wanted the rubber bushings and such. The disc brake kit I ordered from POL came with 2.5" drop spindles. When i bolt it all back together the top of the spindle locks on the top control arm and will not move. Should i have used the 79 springs? are the control arms that different? I am at a loss here and really was hoping to have a rolling truck again this weekend. Any help greatly appreciated Thanks
63longfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
sixTsix

Re: Spindle rubs on upper control arm

Does it do this while in the air/ jacked up?

The reason I ask is when I did my front end kit, I used 2.5" dropped spindles, and 2" dropped springs, I reused my stock control arms but took both upper and lower bumpstops off. and when my truck is in the air front tires completely off the ground, it does the same thing you are describing. If this is the case try this, jack truck up put on jack stands. Then take your jack placed under your lower control arm and jack the suspension up. see if it rubs then. Without the upper bump stop the suspension is allowed to travel beyond where it would be normally and the upper control arms rub the top of the spindles on mine. Idk if that's whats happening to yours but worth a look .
Hope this helps

Under Construction - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=629426
sixTsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
63longfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixTsix View Post
Does it do this while in the air/ jacked up?

The reason I ask is when I did my front end kit, I used 2.5" dropped spindles, and 2" dropped springs, I reused my stock control arms but took both upper and lower bumpstops off. and when my truck is in the air front tires completely off the ground, it does the same thing you are describing. If this is the case try this, jack truck up put on jack stands. Then take your jack placed under your lower control arm and jack the suspension up. see if it rubs then. Without the upper bump stop the suspension is allowed to travel beyond where it would be normally and the upper control arms rub the top of the spindles on mine. Idk if that's whats happening to yours but worth a look .
Hope this helps
The motor is out of it so i can't get a real good compression on the spring. But holding the entire weight of the truck at the control arm it is resting on the bump stop
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
63longfleet

Re: Spindle rubs on upper control arm

Posted via Mobile Device