The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
AirSpeed

Re: Installing Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJohnston View Post
Anyone ever use Ruglyde? The detialing forum mentioned it as a cleaner but it is sold as a lubricant. No silicone in it but it does contain some anti-freeze. As long as were here are there any tips on taking a widshield out without beaking it?
Taking the windshield out is easy, just cut the rubber all the way around on the inside, I used a utiliy knife. After you cut the rubber it just pops out. A new gasget is only about twenty bucks and you will probably not want to reuse the old one anyway.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #27
easydoesit

needing to swap in a new winshield in my 68', last time i did a windshield swap in my 69' when i put it in dry, it leaked on both sides( frame to rubber) and (rubber to glass) i cleaned everything i thought? any help would be cool zw
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #28
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesseru View Post
The absolute best rubber lubricant is available from you local electrician supply outlet. They use is to lubricate electrical cables when pulling them through conduits. Ask for cable lubricant. Also it seems to disappear when it dries without any apparent left-over. Fantastic, no silicone problems and no long-term effects on the rubber either.
I am an electrician. I had some on my work truck (shh, don't tell the boss) the last time I installed a windshield. It works better than anything else I have ever tried. I think you can actually get it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...clearglide.jsp
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #29
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I have many tubes of "PERSONAL LUBRICANT" (dont ask why I have 24 tubes of the stuff) It is just like wire pulling lube, its water soluble as well, I am going to have to give it a try (on my windshield) and see how it works!
24 tubes? you need to get busy either, uh, "gettin' busy" or installed windshields!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #30
71 super

Just put a new windshield in the 68. Bought a precision gasket left it in the sun through the hot part of the day. With the shield layinging on the tailgate, my brother and I installed the gasket around the perimeter and then installed the chrome- it is much easier this way than trying to install chrome the the glass. I the took a jar of petroleum jelly and slathered the gasket and I mean covered it up packing the channel with the stuff. Then we took a piece of cotton cord roughly 1/4 " in diameter and put into the gasket channel leaving a loop at the top center roughly 8-12 long. On the bottom we left a piece roughly 2/3 feet on each side. My brother got inside and I was outside. We centered the window in the opening and taped around the painted edges at cab line. After the window was centered, we installed the BOTTOM first, applying pressure with open hand. The person on the inside pulls on the bottom cords until they are within 2" of the top corners- this is important! Then pull one side of the loop to the respective corner applying pressure and repeat with the other side. This is per the GM service manual. The one thing you must REMEMBER when pulling on the bottom lift up on the cord, and when pulling on the top pull down on the cord. This is not easy but very do-able. For the record this was our first attempt at installing a windshield and we were done within an hour. You can do this as well, remember these trucks were assembled on a line and the putting together could not be too difficult or it would take too much time. As a side there are no leaks at all, but i would suggest using flowable sealer in the upper and lower corners to make sure that you do not have any. Also if it is any motivation a glass company want $200 to install using my parts with no warrenty, you can do it much cheaper and most will not even do a truck with the chrome trim because it is too hard in the world of glue in parts. Good luck you can do it.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #31
mdwilf

My "hot" tip is to soak the gasket in HOT water for a while before the install, get it good & limber - makes it much easier to pull the lip over to the inside. This also is a great help if you are on a budget & have to re use a gasket.

I'm gonna try the cable lube too.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #32
71RULES!
Short Step 4X4 Cheyenne Club

Hi all. I'm having a hell of a time getting my new PPG windshield installed into the 71SWB.
First, i purchased a SuperSeal 1971 gasket. Then i purchased the chrome trim for it. I tried to get this trim to stay in the gasket while the gasket was on the windshield, but there ain't no way!

LOL.

I soon discovered there were two types of deluxe trim:
68-70 with the long (3/4") foot that goes into the gasket and actually hooks under the glass
71-72 with the short (1/2" maybe?) foot that goes in shallow, but does not have a firm 90 degree seat. Just a bump in the gasket that i guess is supposed to hold it in. YEAH RIGHT!

So, i got the 70 version of both. Layed the windshield on top of a green waste can that is contoured perfectly. I was able to get the gasket and trim installed onto the glass with very little effort.

So last night, myself and 3 helpers tried to get it into the truck. Tried with 1/4" rope and small stuff too. It seems like the bottom is not going all the way down onto the metal lip. I can get the rubber on the bottom over using the rope, but the top is WAY too high.

We tried with soapy water, then tried cable lube, then tried vasaline. The vasaline was a disaster becuase it got onto the glass and made it start slipping out of the gasket.

Ran the gasket through the dishwasher which removed the vasaline. Tried again with soapy water. Still no go. AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!

I've now tried about 14 times to get this bugger in and still cannot. I'm willing to PAY someone to do it. I'm getting desperate. Rainy season is coming and I want this truck dried in SOON.

I'm in Folsom, CA. If you know of anyone who can do this for me, i'm at this point HAPPY to pay for expert labor. I need it done here as there is no motor in the truck and I don't currently have a trailer to use.
71RULES! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #33
my67c20

Take the gasket off the window and study how it lays in the lip. It goes over alot farther than you might think. Also if the rope is not in the right groove you will struggle. Take your time.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #34
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Maybe this video will help. (that must be OEM trim):

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
Areohbe

I feel your pain... I just went through the same thing earlier this week.. I ended up cracking a windshield in the process, had it all done except maybe 18" of rubber around the top. I tried to gently pry the windshield down and pull the rubber in... Then crack.. AAAAHHHHH

Called a local guy I found on Craigslist, ask them lots of questions, I called 3-4 before I decided on one. $149 including the windshield and it was done. It took him over an hour with a helper.. They put alot of pressure on as they went and SLOWLY worked the gasket around the frame..

Now I am a happy camper...
Areohbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #36
71RULES!

Areohbe that's crazy. did you have the chrome trim on yours?
I have had very bad luck with craigslist people so I'm hesitant to go that route. However I am approaching the point where I will be paying someone to make the pain go away.

DeadHeadNM, Yes, I've seen that video and it pisses me off. Looks WAY too easy.

Thanks for the support guys. I'll be trying again after this rain lets up which is supposed to be tomorrow. I'll report back on my adventures.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
dsy1

I tried for a day to get my windshield with chrome trim on my '71, no luck. The back window went in easy. I finally gave up on the front and called a local glass shop. An older experienced installer and his helper took over 2 1/2 hours to get it done. Well worth the price to me. Maybe a different brand seal would have made a difference.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #38
SkeksisNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Just put a new windshield in the 68. Bought a precision gasket left it in the sun through the hot part of the day. With the shield layinging on the tailgate, my brother and I installed the gasket around the perimeter and then installed the chrome- it is much easier this way than trying to install chrome the the glass. I the took a jar of petroleum jelly and slathered the gasket and I mean covered it up packing the channel with the stuff. Then we took a piece of cotton cord roughly 1/4 " in diameter and put into the gasket channel leaving a loop at the top center roughly 8-12 long. On the bottom we left a piece roughly 2/3 feet on each side. My brother got inside and I was outside. We centered the window in the opening and taped around the painted edges at cab line. After the window was centered, we installed the BOTTOM first, applying pressure with open hand. The person on the inside pulls on the bottom cords until they are within 2" of the top corners- this is important! Then pull one side of the loop to the respective corner applying pressure and repeat with the other side. This is per the GM service manual. The one thing you must REMEMBER when pulling on the bottom lift up on the cord, and when pulling on the top pull down on the cord. This is not easy but very do-able. For the record this was our first attempt at installing a windshield and we were done within an hour. You can do this as well, remember these trucks were assembled on a line and the putting together could not be too difficult or it would take too much time. As a side there are no leaks at all, but i would suggest using flowable sealer in the upper and lower corners to make sure that you do not have any. Also if it is any motivation a glass company want $200 to install using my parts with no warrenty, you can do it much cheaper and most will not even do a truck with the chrome trim because it is too hard in the world of glue in parts. Good luck you can do it.

I thought that pertoleum products and rubber products together is a no no. Am I wrong? When I was a kid, was told that petro products broke down rubber products.

'71 3/4 ton pickup, 350cid - TH350
I know just enough to get me in trouble
SkeksisNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #39
mtm_seven

I'm sitting in my kitchen listening to the glass installer guys cuss in the garage as I type. I ordered the precision gasket, had OEM stainless trim and they brought a guy who supposedly had done these before. (even showed them the video from this thread)

Note to others who want to go with the stainless trim: Insist that they put the trim on the gasket before the windshield goes on the truck.

It's not going well "their way". 3 hours and counting. Grrr.
‘71 GMC K20
'72 K5 1-ton gear 468BB
‘86 K30 GMC High Sierra C&C Single Cab
'96 SWB Single Cab 5.7
‘99 SWB Z71 Single Cab
'00 SWB Single Cab 5.3
'01 K2500 Yukon Safari 6.0
‘06 2500HD Single Cab C&C Duramax 4x4
'08 1500 crew
'11 2500HD Single Cab Duramax 4x4
mtm_seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #40
71RULES!

holy moly.
If they think they can put the trim in after the glass/rubber is in the truck.. well ...
they don't have much experience. At least with the long trim (67-70?) I KNOW that is impossible because the trim actually hooks under the glass. It MAY be possible if you have the short trim (1971.1972) but I doubt it very seriously. I'll give that one a skeptical maybe.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #41
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm_seven View Post
I'm sitting in my kitchen listening to the glass installer guys cuss in the garage as I type. I ordered the precision gasket, had OEM stainless trim and they brought a guy who supposedly had done these before. (even showed them the video from this thread)

Note to others who want to go with the stainless trim: Insist that they put the trim on the gasket before the windshield goes on the truck.

It's not going well "their way". 3 hours and counting. Grrr.
Is that 71-72 OEM trim? What are they struggling with? Is the trim popping off or the gasket bunching up?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #42
mtm_seven

They did it. - Installed the 71/72 trim after the windshield was installed. It was an ugly process. They crinkled my trim on the driver side corner, scratched up the gasket and made me late as hell for work.

All in all it's acceptable but if it was a show truck or even one that wasn't supposed to have patina, they would not have been paid.

Bottom line, ask your installer specifically how they plan to install the glass before you have them even order the glass.
Attached Images

‘71 GMC K20
'72 K5 1-ton gear 468BB
'96 SWB Single Cab 5.7
‘99 SWB Z71 Single Cab
'00 SWB Single Cab 5.3
'08 1500 crew
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
71RULES!

Wow. That's too bad about that trim being buggered up. My install didn't go any better. I had the 67-70 long trim, and it's AFU as well. Also, my gasket is not really in right.
It's a real bummer. I'll have to have it redone and get some un-wrinkled trim. Mine's not a show truck either, but this trim is super noticeable when you look at the truck.

i'll wait till i get the other stuff done and then take it into a shop. Next time, I don't want to watch. Too stressful. I'll drop the truck off and tell them "Call me when it's done. Don't scratch it!" hahaha
Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #44
48richard

Believe it or not, I installed this type of windshield on a GM assembly line for a few days back in the late sixties as student. The rubber was installed on the glass first, and we used dish-soap and water as the lubricant. One man was on the outside applying some pressure, and the other on the inside working the cord, which was about 1/4 inch as I recall. I don't remember how many crews there were doing this, but probably not more than 2 or 3, which means we had at the most about 3 1/2 minutes per car (the assembly line ran at about 50 vehicles/hour).
My son and I just did a rear glass in my truck, and that's about how long it took. The key is use plenty of lubricant - it's cheap and cleans up well!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #45
71RULES!

Yeah. My wife and I did the rear glass and it was easy, trim and all. Took maybe 5 minutes at the most. The front? Well that was a nightmare.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #46
william-theglassman

3 hours to do a 67-72 windshield is just crazy .and dent the chrome is terrible i feel sorry for you .
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #47
mtm_seven

The whatever gaskets from LMC did not fit as well as the Precision gaskets from GMC Paul.

Here are the Precision part numbers in case anyone wants to source them from a different vendor...

Rear CST (stainless trim version) WCR1092t
Front 71/72 CST (stainless trim with shorter hook) - WCR685a
Front 67-70 CST (stainless trim with long hook) - WCR685
‘71 GMC K20
'72 K5 1-ton gear 468BB
'96 SWB Single Cab 5.7
‘99 SWB Z71 Single Cab
'00 SWB Single Cab 5.3
'08 1500 crew
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #48
mbgmike

a lot has to do with the installers talent. I know a lot of people in the autoglass business and they all agree that its hard to find people that can do old vehicle glass. We always ask the companies we use if they still have anyone when we need one put in. If not we do it ourselves.

by the way I think LMC is now selling Precision Brand but would ask first. Some guys say thats what they have gotten from them
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #49
elf w/capital T

71 super post 30. Great! Thank you!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #50
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I have many tubes of "PERSONAL LUBRICANT" (dont ask why I have 24 tubes of the stuff) It is just like wire pulling lube, its water soluble as well, I am going to have to give it a try (on my windshield) and see how it works!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote