The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Jonlopes

how expensive is this to fix?

Hello, I am about to make a trade to get a 69 chevy C20

This truck was originally purchased new by UC San Diego and was given to the current purchasing manager when they decided to get rid of it about 15 years ago.

I went to look at it today, the stock 307 starts right up and the T400 shifts just fine (though it does not downshift, probably the switch on the gas pedal) The Drum brakes work though but the manual steering has got to go, I don't have Popeye forearms . It still has the working stock am radio and seems completely stock except for the addition of a modern radio + speakers in a console added to the roof seen in the picture below.

My question is about the rust that it has. Lurking in the forums I have seen much worse but I am concerned about the cost to fix. It has rust holes in the underside of the roof at the doors. Here is the passenger side, this is the worst:

The drivers side is better though it is still there:

There is a little bubbling above the windshield on the passenger side:

and a tiny bit at the bottom also on the PS:

Under the carpet the floors look good and there is no rust in the rear corners that seem to plague most cabs. There is some good rot on the passenger side rocker panel which looks like it needs a $20 patch panel.

The doors have some rot at the bottom but there are cheap patch panels for that too. The only other rust that I saw was at odd places. Both fenders have holes on the top which is nowhere near where any water would ever pool, new ones seem to be readily available though. and there are 2 holes in the bed floor one on each side close to the tail gate.

I guess my biggest concern is the roof, and if fixing the rust is going to end up costing more than the truck is worth.
I know that all of these trucks have rust, they just did not have the metal coating technology that they have today.
Any advice is appreciated!
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: how expensive is this to fix?

I have never done body work BUT I have read on there that windshield rust is BAD.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

The rot on the roof is a result of dried out roof rail calk. When they get this bad, my advise is to do a roof replacement. I'll be willing to bet when you remove the overhead console/speaker compartment that the inner roof metal is rotted also.

It probably could use new windshield and new rear window rubber as well. I would be surprised if I seen this and there was no rot on the floor near the kick panels.

I don't know what you are trading but if it is worth more than $1,200 to $1,500, I think you could find something with a better cab.

Just my 2 cents,

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
70LonghornCST

I'd be careful with that one. It looks like that is a hint of what you find everywhere throughout the truck.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
travlinman

I wouldn't do it. Be prepared to do a roof or a complete cab swap.
82 c30 crew cab dually ( now building )
91 r30 crew cab dually (parted and gone)
69 swb-sold
71 lab sold
all in progress......__
..........._______ |__\__
..........|__(O)______(O)] ........................
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
The rot on the roof is a result of dried out roof rail calk. When they get this bad, my advise is to do a roof replacement. I'll be willing to bet when you remove the overhead console/speaker compartment that the inner roof metal is rotted also.

It probably could use new windshield and new rear window rubber as well. I would be surprised if I seen this and there was no rot on the floor near the kick panels.

I don't know what you are trading but if it is worth more than $1,200 to $1,500, I think you could find something with a better cab.

Just my 2 cents,

Take care,
Tom
When you say roof replacement do you mean using the replacement panels available from the parts catalogs or do you mean cutting one out of a junkyard truck?

I would be trading a few guns I haven't used for 20 years that are worth about $3k.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
When you say roof replacement do you mean using the replacement panels available from the parts catalogs or do you mean cutting one out of a junkyard truck?

I would be trading a few guns I haven't used for 20 years that are worth about $3k.
I would find a truck that has a good roof and cut right down low on the pillar and where the paint divider is normally or at least on the bottom of the rear window. Replacement panels from catalogs are a PITA to replace and need more work to fit correctly than they are worth.

If your guns are worth 3K, sell them and buy a truck with no rust and have some money left over for goody's.

Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
landy

As the previous posters suggested, it looks like a potential rust bucket and not worth the trade for the $3k in firearms. I'd also note that if that's your wife or girlfriend in the background of one of the pics, she doesn't look too happy about this truck!
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #9
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I would find a truck that has a good roof and cut right down low on the pillar and where the paint divider is normally or at least on the bottom of the rear window. Replacement panels from catalogs are a PITA to replace and need more work to fit correctly than they are worth.

If your guns are worth 3K, sell them and buy a truck with no rust and have some money left over for goody's.

Tom
It seems pretty unanimous that this is not a good base to restore.

Do you know of any good trucks in the $3k range? I have looked locally here in socal and most are either non-running projects or even they have worse cancer.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:14 AM   #10
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
As the previous posters suggested, it looks like a potential rust bucket and not worth the trade for the $3k in firearms. I'd also note that if that's your wife or girlfriend in the background of one of the pics, she doesn't look too happy about this truck!
LOL Yeah, that is my wife. She supports that I want a project truck to restore but she was pretty bored.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #11
landy

I'd think you could find a decent one for that price range in that area. For comparison, I've got a '71 GMC K1500 (4x4) for sale for $3.5k. It has some repairable rust-through, but nothing compared to that one. I'm in NM and there seems to be a relatively good selection here in the southwest.

Keep looking, you'll find one.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
leddzepp

You can find something with waaaay less rust here in SoCal. I would keep looking.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #13
roxxx

Run ... Even up here i would not even think of buying that truck ... i wouldn't even take it if it was given to me
roxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 AM   #14
treveiger

The surface is only a little part, once you cut it out you'll find more.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:44 AM   #15
frankslagoon

That roof could be a real mess. I picked up a long bed big blk TH400 with a/c in Alaska that's waaaay better than that trk for the same kinda money. Ya might look around.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #16
BigMike

Just keep an eye on Craigslist. There have been a couple decent ones in the last couple months in the $3k-$4k range. Also CL will show you what the seller puts in his ad. If you type in C10 and then C-10 you'll get several different listings. Also try C20 & C-20 as well. Also, if you only check "Auto Parts" and "Cars + Trucks" you won't have to look through pages & pages of fluff. Sometimes you really have to get creative when searching. I've found tons of stuff because many people that use CL are illiterate and don't know how to spell CRAFTSMAN even if it's on their toolbox. I've bought tons of Crafsman, craftsmen, craftmans tools because nobody else can see their listings.

Here's a few
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4995743161.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4983527390.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4977361415.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4963622901.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4993036014.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4935482035.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4986031856.html
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
R.L.

Welcome to the forums, you know if you can sell that truck and get your money back and put that with your gun money you could probably find something a lot nicer, maybe even something you wouldn't have to work on.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #18
cdowns

should only cost about 5000-7000 dollars to repair that cab
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote