The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
doublek35

54 pics with Vintage Air

Does anyone have firewall pics of a 54 with Vintage Air? I'm in the process of smoothing my firewall and really dont want to spend $1200.00 just to mock it up. Trying to determine which holes to leave.Thanks in advance.
doublek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Apachemike

Re: 54 pics with Vintage Air

Have you priced a system from Nostalgic Air?
Apachemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Advanced Design

A mock up unit from Vintage Air might be useful.

http://www.vintageair.com/2014catalo...08-15%2042.pdf

Summit sells them. Just have to determine which one is needed.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
doublek35

Nostalgic Air is a little cheaper but doesn't offer floor heat. I downloaded the installation instructions for Vintage Air and it says it has a firewall plate that has to be installed. I wasn't sure if this was the case and that's why I wanted pics. I'll look into the mock up units from Summitt. Thanks for the info.
doublek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
oldman3

It's hard to tell you which holes, most of it depends on where you mount you unit under the dash. You can't get to tight of a bend from unit to firewall. Anyhow here's two pics of when I set mine up on my 50 pickup. Used a plate and fittings I bought, had one large square hole. Shows install and outside. Also have two pics of a set-up on a 67 pickup, we build a box to put the hoses thru and made a cover plate. So it's kind of up to you to decide where you want the holes and go from there. Hope these pics help...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Old Crow

Here's pics of a '54 we're building.
What Vintage Air won't tell you unless you ask, is that the '47-'55 Sure Fit system is a sure fit only up to '53. '54-'55.1 models need slight modification to the install.

In the first pic, you can see we had to move the unit down and inboard to get it to fit.
The round plate is the block off, and the oval is a filler panel we made to move it down,
Of course this was discovered after the paint and body was done, even though I had spoken with the sales rep and downloaded a copy of the installation instructions before we did the firewall.
Just to make you fell better, I'm VA dealer, not just some guy doing it in his garage and they never mentioned it until I called tech assist when it wouldn't fit right.

In the second picture, you can see we also had to modify the bracket that goes to the top hinge bolt and move it down also. We didn't have the hinges yet, that bolt will be replaced with a hinge bolt.

The dash unit fit pretty good, but some modification was made to the bracket that goes to the dash, also:

Note in the first picture that we also drilled the firewall mounting hole according to their template and then had to move it down and inboard also.
Overall, I haven't been as happy with this install as some, but I'm sure it'll freeze you out of the cab when we finally get it up and running.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Race.it

When I spoke to va they did mention the dash needed fetteling, but nothing about the other components

They said there were bringing out a new gen IV soon but not heard since.