The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

What's your philosophy on parts and why?

Do you go nuts for NOS and OEM or are aftermarket parts fine with you? What's your reasoning?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #2

Re: What's your philosophy on parts and why?

I use OEM where I can. Especially body parts. But have no problem using aftermarket parts either. Things like alternators, or starters, anything like that I have no problem going to O'Reillys and buying. I drive all of my trucks and use them as trucks except for my Cheyenne super so I can't see spending nos money on parts that could be damaged.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
michael bustamante

my philosophy.......parts is parts
i like to use oem when i can on body stuff as well but enginecomponents im fine with using auto parts store stuff. trim items? well if was building a show truck i guess id use aftermatket on the little stuff and refurbish oem bumpers and such
Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
davepl

Impossible to answer without knowing what you're doing. A NOS battery will run you $1500. A parts store batter could be $65. What scenario are we talking about here?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
SS Tim

1. Used OEM, preferably from the same MY and assembly plant as it will be closest and representative of parts a given vehicle was produced with.

2. Service Parts, GM qualified REPLACEMENT parts. While not generally production parts they at least function correctly and for the most part fit without modification (depending on supercession and backfitted applications). Always try to find the earliest P/N possible not the easiest to find. A part made 20 years later by a different contractor to a different drawing isn't necessarily going to mimic an original production part.

3. Reproduction, By and large reverse engineered. Some claim to be made to "original drawings" but which, production or universal fit service part drawings. They can range from very good to something worse than a 10 year old kid can make. All too often people depend on reproduction parts that are primary visual points or expensive to install structral components by price point. If the quality isn't in the box it won't get better installed.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Parts is parts. I also realize you get what you pay for. Plus... some USA made parts fit just as crappy as offshore stuff. So it's always a crapshoot.

But I can usually make almost any part work as advertised whether it fits crappy or not. Depends on how big of a hammer I use.

If a cat goes into it with the mindset that every single part (no matter where it's made) is just going to fall right in to place and line up each an every time... then you live a fairy tale life.

If playing with old rigs was easy... everybody would be doing it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
WarMonger

Good parts aint cheap. Cheap parts aint good
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
leddzepp

Depends on the part, the price, and it's function.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I use the best parts I can afford. With that being said, I'm also a bit of a parts snob I used a mainly aftermarket stuff on my build and even for replacement parts on my daily driver, but I stay on the high end. I did learn a LOT about who makes decent stuff throughout my build as I ended up throwing some new stuff in the trash or not using it and getting something different/better.

Good thing is, we have a forum like this to learn and ask questions about things, so it helps to minimize the mistakes. Sheetmetal always seems to be an issure. I tried (and did) use a LOT of my OEM sheetmetal after hearing stories of poor fitting aftermarket stuff. I ended up having to butcher up the aftermarket rockers I bought so they would fit - I probably should have ponied up and found some NOS ones - but I did get a good lesson in metal working and patience from the install.

For suspension & brakes I buy the nicest stuff I can get - MOOG, Raybestos, Wagner, etc. Same with driveline parts & electrical. You can't cheap out on that stuff.

I used to work as a project manager for an aftermarket parts manufacturer (Cloyes Gear & Products) they make aftermarket replacement, high performance and are OEM for a lot of stuff as well. Cloyes is well known in the engine parts industry for making high quality parts - I had a lot of pride working for such a company. But it's also interesting (and sad) how some parts are just thrown out onto the market by companies that know they are making absolute junk and have no problem with that fact. It's up to us as enthusiasts to help each other out and avoid those companies. That being said, some people just buy the cheapest thing they can get their hands on and then complain about it not fitting right, failing or not working at all. There will always be a spot in the market for that.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Jonlopes

Personally I don't care what name is on the box as long as the quality is there. For instance I would rather have a Holley or Edelbrock (Carter AFB) carb than a NOS Quadrajunk oops I mean Quadrajet.
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
Personally I don't care what name is on the box as long as the quality is there. For instance I would rather have a Holley or Edelbrock (Carter AFB) carb than a NOS Quadrajunk oops I mean Quadrajet.
But those are all names.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
But those are all names.
LOL, I suppose there will be a name on every box. and I did say it could either say Holley or Edelbrock.
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
leftybass209

I don't really care as long as the part looks and fits like it should.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring

I feel that the more original my truck is, the better I'll feel and the more it will be worth. Also, I would think NOS or OEM parts will fit pretty well. So, NOS where possible (affordable), OEM when good and affordable, aftermarket where I have to. "Perishable" items such as electrical and mechanical, I'll most likely have to get from an auto parts store. I am happy that I have most sheet metal parts that I need NOS, with just cab corners and some cab floor left to get (should be able to get those from a cut up truck).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Oem had specifications that assured the parts would generally fit together pretty well. Aftermarket is a crapshoot, some don't have the right dimensions or any prints with dimensions to build to

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 AM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

To me it is also a challenge to see how many OE parts I can get in the condition I want for my truck. The K20 is not going to be a show stopper, so I am not concerned if the OE sport bumper I find has a few dings in it hear and there.

There are some things you just cant get OE or NOS that have a good quality or appearance anymore. Gauge cluster bezels are a perfect example. I have never seen a NOS chrome and black bezel and if I did it would cost $500.00. The OE's are hard to find with good chrome. They are out there but an OE with perfect chrome is not very common at all which forces us to go with aftermarket.

I would rather have an OE steering wheel with a few cracks than an aftermarket. I would rather have an OE tail light lens with a chip in it than an aftermarket and so on and so on.

I guess it is to each his own on this topic.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote