The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Turn Signal Switch?

How difficult is changing out a T/S on these trucks? Is there I "trick" to getting the big connector up thru the column? Do you need to pull the pins out of the connector to remove the switch? Isn't the canceling cam part of a new switch or does it have to be ordered seperately? Sorry for so many questions. Since my"other half" decided to sell the house (and shop!!!), I have to haul all the necessary tools to another location. (no garage). Wanting to make sure I haul all the tools I need for the swap.
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Turn Signal Switch?

Well I've only dealt with the tilt steering and the way to get the switch connector to go is to remove the upper shroud. It is lightly pressed on and I started by taking a small flat screwdriver and going around the seam where the upper shroud meets the rest of the column. After about four or five laps I tugged upwards on it and it started to wiggle loose.
Now about the cam itself it is a separate piece and goes on top of the turn switch. I think the piece that the horn contact snaps into doubles as the cancel cam. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
1968aj

I just did this on my 69. had to dis assemble entire top of column because the wires with connector will not go thru . had to take pin out of shift selector. this allowed enough room to slip connector thru. I replaced the other plastic parts while I had it apart.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
scotts72heavyhalf

The easiest way is buy the entire assembly with the harness, get the little $4 tool at an auto parts store (looks like a small flat screw driver used for GM electrictial terminal removal) that you use to remove all the wires from the large plug, of course take a pic or write the color codes down so you can put them back in order, remove the steering wheel and upper column housing, you twist it then remove and replace the switch it should take you about a hour the first time.