The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Where will I get HIRED?
Autozone will call; No Hire 2 20.00%
Kragen's will call; No Hire 3 30.00%
Autozone will call; Hire me 8 80.00%
Kragen's will call; Hire me 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
TIMSPEED

OT: Just Applied at Autozone & Kragen's, any bets?

Anyone wanna guess where I'll get a call back at first, or where I'll get HIRED at? hahaha
Old 02-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

i've never had any experience with a Kragen store, but AutoZone will probably screw you around for 3 weeks, tell you they have all intentions of hiring you because of your automotive background, and then "not have an opening."
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:52 AM   #3
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FaastC10
i've never had any experience with a Kragen store, but AutoZone will probably screw you around for 3 weeks, tell you they have all intentions of hiring you because of your automotive background, and then "not have an opening."
ACTUALLY, the guy at AutoZone was really cool, and I THINK I actually might get on there..he asked me if I'd be interested in being a driver..I said HELL YES! He also liked the fact, that I tought at the school he went to, because he used to be a DARE officer, and he did it where I used to work..so, I may just get lucky
Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I hope you get it I need a job, but no one will hire me, must have something to do with my resume or something...
Old 02-06-2004, 03:22 AM   #5
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
I hope you get it I need a job, but no one will hire me, must have something to do with my resume or something...
Haha, yeah, I didn't even give them my resume (prolly say i'm overqualified then) It was funny though, cuz my old job, I made $12.68 an hour, and when the manager seen that, he's all "I can tell you right now dude, you're not going to get anywhere NEAR that here. ****, I barely make that here!" so, I'm all "S'kewl, I just need a J-O-B!"
Old 02-06-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Niether place hires people with auto knowalge. Your screwed.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I voted Auto Zone!! They will hire any idiot!! lol j/k

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
sider68

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
First of all drop the negatives (no one will hire you) Post your resume and we can help.I think there are even websites for this.They can make a grass cuuter look like an outdoor industrial engineer.Keep trying and praying (I know you are a good Christain kid)
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally posted by sider68

First of all drop the negatives (no one will hire you) Post your resume and we can help.I think there are even websites for this.They can make a grass cuuter look like an outdoor industrial engineer.Keep trying and praying (I know you are a good Christain kid)
Thanks for the encouragment, I really appreciate it, after you get turned down as much as I have, you start to get a bit down on yourself though.

I tried some of those resume writing tutorials, and combined most of them together to see what I could come up with, I'll post it here and see if any of you guys can pick out whats wrong with the thing, or if its just my shaggy hair thats pushin' them away from hiring me, lol

Code:
Russell K. Ziegler

169 53049 Range Road 220
Ardrossan, AB T8E 2C8
(780) 922-0869
Russell@ZieglerDigital.ca

PERSONAL

Age 17
Birthdate - November 24, 1986

OBJECTIVE

To gain workplace experience & fund my truck restoration project

EDUCATION

Currently enrolled in Grade 11 at Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High School
Have taken entry level mechanics course that covered vehicle maintenance, body work and shop safety
Have also taken computing courses that cover many different aspects of information processing

EXPERIENCE

Renovations and general maintanence

- Inner city apartment buildings, Edmonton, AB Gained experience in painting, appliance repair, plumbing, cleaning, yard work, roofing and general building upkeep while working for my father

Gas station pump attendant

- Worked for Laughing Llama Esso for several months as a pump attendant

VOLUNTEER ACTIVITES

Videotaping

- Weddings and other events, Sherwood Park, AB (Summer 2003) Gained experience while working with a team of cameramen to capture and edit videos of weddings and other special events

SERVE, a national Christian missions outreach (Summer 2002 and Summer 2003)

- Did volunteer work at a food bank in Winnipeg (2002) 
	- Did volunteer work at Birch Bay Ranch, a local children's camp (2003) 
	- Was a Student Leader with extra responsiblities in 2003, helped with registration, orientation, sounds system operation, as well as running power point presentations

Trinity Baptist Church's summer day camps (Summer 1999 - present)

- Sr. leader leading large groups (10 - 15) of children (age 4 - 12) with the help of another Jr. leader
	- Setup and planning

Helped with the renovations and setup for a local Preschool (Summer 2000)

- Painting
	- Construction
	- Electrical
	- Cleaning
	- Flooring

SKILLS AND INTERESTS

Web design, word proccessing, photography, videography, construction, electrical, as well as auto restoration and repairs

REFERENCES

- Julie Giese, Family friend for seven years - (780) 416-***
- Elden Faulkner, Youth pastor for over four years - (780) 416-***
- Mike Engbers, Coodinator of Trinity Baptist Church's summer day camps from 1999 - 2003 - (780) 416-***
Old 02-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #10
Blue Beard

Flip a coin and hope for the best.........

Do you have a preference as to which one you would rather work at.....?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
sider68

Blue Beard I sent you an email..I need a pic resized for my Avatar
Russell ,Quickly..I would change the part where you want to work to fund restoring your vehicle.Certainly this may be your intention at the present time but learning and securing a job is in the big picture.Also some employers have kids of their own and frown upon such things.Not that there,s anything wrong with it but older adults other than on this board think restoring an old vehicle is a futile effort.
The worse thing is sitting idle.Even doing odd jobs looks like you are real ambitious.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

Alright, so I took that off, anything else?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

For those coming here from the topic posted in the general disscussion forum (thanks sider, and sorry for highjacking your post TIMSPEED!) I just need to know if there are any glaring issues in it, I need to get a job, or I'm gonna have to take the truck off the road within a couple of weeks...
Old 02-06-2004, 05:16 PM   #14
rolson1039

i got ten bucks that says that youll be working at auto zone as soon as possible
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #15
Low87on20s
Live from Atlanta

Russell, maybe Canada is different that the US, but at the age of 17 I don't understand what you would need a resume for? What type of job are you trying to get?

I am 32, and I never had a resume until I was almost out of college hunting for an entry level job that matched my school experience.

I don't think that a resume of this caliber is going to land you a job. Your confidence, first appearances, personal references, and brushing up on interview skills just might!

Just my opnion....
Old 02-06-2004, 05:32 PM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally posted by Low87on20s
Russell, maybe Canada is different that the US, but at the age of 17 I don't understand what you would need a resume for? What type of job are you trying to get?

I am 32, and I never had a resume until I was almost out of college hunting for an entry level job that matched my school experience.

I don't think that a resume of this caliber is going to land you a job. Your confidence, first appearances, personal references, and brushing up on interview skills just might!

Just my opnion....
Up here they ask for a resume for everything. I'm just trying to land myself a part time job so I can make enough money to run & work on the truck. 7 bucks an hour with say 20 - 24 hours a week would be plenty. Thats why I am so confused as to why no one will hire me, I'll admit, I'm definitly not the best looking by any means (typical baggy jeans, untouched mope, rarely shaven) But I'm usually pretty confident in myself when I go for a job, I just whine and snivel online, lol Personal references are exellent references -- They won't lie about me and will tell the employer everything he wants to know about me. I'll work real hard for someone else, even if I am a bit lazy otherwise, I feel a sense of duty when I am being paid to do something, nor do I like sitting around with nothing to do, I'll usually busy myself with something or other, like shovelling the gas bar, cleaning the floor, or stocking shelves and such when I've got nothing to do.

Never actually had an actual interview before, no one has ever called me to come for one before -- I got working at the gas station becuase of a line from a friend who put in a good word. Unfortunately, I spent most of my time sitting around (already did most of everyone else's chores) and the pay was the minimal possible.

What do you mean by a resume of that calibre? You meaning that it is good, or mediocre?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #17
Low87on20s
Live from Atlanta

I didn't mean "caliber" in a bad sense, and I wasn't dogging your resume. After being in corporate America for 10+ years, I have seen really good and really bad resumes. I just have never seen anyone at your age, school level, and work experience have to use one to land a part time job.

Most of the time getting your foot in the door is the hardest part of a job. When I was first searching for a programming job, I know that it took me @ 8 months, many resume submissions, and countless interviews to finally land a job. I have now been with the same company for 10+ years in different levels of computer programming and now management.

I do wish you the best of luck.

...TIMSPEED, sorry for continuing the HI-JACK of your thread.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #18
sider68

Start shaving,comb your hair and ditch the baggy clothes.No matter if yoou think its cool,employers do not.The clean cut image goes along way and rember you never get a second chance at making a first impression.
TIM..I am sorry for hijacking your post.i think both will call you. Just don,t spend more time looking for your own parts than the customers!
Old 02-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #19
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Your resume looks pretty good.

Shave, cut and comb your hair, and wear some nicer clothes when you go job-hunting next. Shake the potential boss's hand upon meeting, look in the eyes when talking, use proper grammar, and say NOTHING negative about yourself unless they ask. Don't volunteer any more information then they ask you, especially personal information (you may say something they don't approve of). And most importantly, after dropping off the resume, check back in a week or so in person, also nicley groomed, and express continued intrest in the job.

This has always worked for me. I have never had problems getting a job. Infact, every application i have ever put in has gotten me a job. I think following up is about the best thing you can do though....most places get hundreds of applications with no follow up. You have to set yourself above the rest of the crowd.

Good luck!
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #20
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Did volunteer work at a food bank in Winnipeg (2002)
- Did volunteer work at Birch Bay Ranch, a local children's camp (2003)
- Was a Student Leader with extra responsiblities in 2003, helped with registration, orientation, sounds system operation, as well as running power point presentations

Also, change those "did's" into "Performed", and "Was a" to "Acted as"
One more...

"Have taken entry level mechanics....."
Change this^ into something like "Courses studied include....".
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #21
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Listen to the Rolla Boy!

He knows how its done.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:57 AM   #22
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by rolson1039
i got ten bucks that says that youll be working at auto zone as soon as possible
Thanks for the kind words I SHORE wouldn't mind driving a parts truck all day!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #23
Russell
Professional Grade

Alright, lots of excellent advice in here, I'll be getting my hair cut tonight for the first time in almost a year, and I will be making the changes that you suggested on the resume. I'm gonna stop by and talk to the owner of the last place I applied at and make sure all my information got through.

Its gonna feel so odd having short spiked up hair again, lol (COLD!)
Old 02-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #24
junkyardpartseeker

job

The best thing I can tell you from experience of being out of work for about 2 years is don't give up. Listen to what ppl here are telling you to improve yourself. I did, and it worked. I never gave up and thought I would never drive trucks again. Best of all, don't volunteer information. I didn't tell my employer about the disability rating on my right hand. Just that it had surgery and I got a doctor release to go back to work. If I told them it had a rating on it, I would still be out of work.

Don't give up guys, make the employer feel like you would be a great asset to their company. You are the product and you are trying to sell that product.

Good luck with the job search, I know you will all find work.

Take care
Tommy
junkyardpartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote