The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Help with rust repair

I have approached two different local company's (Hot Rod Shops), which will remain nameless, to fix the rusted out places. One guy ( in Northlake, TX )said he was going to come by and look at it and give me an estimate but, never came by even after talking with him two or three times. Another local place (Keller, TX I believe) promised me he(after sending pics) would get back with me today but hasn't called me either. What the heck is the deal with places...do they not want the work? I'm just about to the point where I'm ready to throw in the towel! I'm working so much that it's hard for me to work on this thing, plus, I don't know enough about doing this kind of stuff to really feel comfortable trying to do it, that's why is going to pay a shop to fix the rust. I just want to get the truck running. Can anyone recommend a reliable shop to do this? I'm posting the pics I have. Although you really cant see, pretty sure inner and outer rockers on both sides need replacing and, some of the floor. Also, there is a place right under the passenger side of the windshield that has a bubble(kinda hard to see). Thanks for help!
Attached Images

'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
franken

Re: Help with rust repair

Bodyshops prefer easy work. Rust is hard work.
I'm a few miles away and have been looking for someone to do bodywork forever. I contacted what I guess is the place in Northlake and they said bring it by, but no longer respond to email. I figure if they give up on me at the 2nd email I won't be happy with the work.
I have tools to do the work, but have found I like collecting tools and parts but lack motivation to do the repairs. Bad!
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
GVDobler

If you opened a shop that specialized in rust removal I doubt people would pay the price. Labor intense. Shop would have to charge $100 an hour to make it worth while as not much in parts to sell. And they would have to fab a lot of stuff that isn't made.

Before you balk at the $100 shop rate, price out all the expenses and a profit on your investment. If you get any of that rusty sludge into the underground, it could cost you several hundred grand in clean up. If your shop is in California, it might be illegal, remember they want to crush all old cars.
GVDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVDobler View Post
If you opened a shop that specialized in rust removal I doubt people would pay the price. Labor intense. Shop would have to charge $100 an hour to make it worth while as not much in parts to sell. And they would have to fab a lot of stuff that isn't made.

Before you balk at the $100 shop rate, price out all the expenses and a profit on your investment. If you get any of that rusty sludge into the underground, it could cost you several hundred grand in clean up. If your shop is in California, it might be illegal, remember they want to crush all old cars.
I'm not balking at the per hour price they are asking. If the shop is getting paid by the hour, I don't see how they will be loosing money. What does it matter what they are doing? Doesn't matter if they are putting in a motor or, doing rust repair or, putting in a transmission or, installing a radiator or whatever. They are getting paid by the hour! It's not like they bid the job for a certain amount of money. I'm willing to pay what they are asking. I know shops add 15-20% to the cost of whatever parts they need and, I'm OK with that.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
The Rocknrod

I have found that it is always better to do business face to face instead of a e-mail or phone call. But Have you tried (not that I endorse any of them):
North Texas Rod and Custom, Inc.
15750 FM 2860
Kaufman, TX, USA 75142
Call: 903-498-7037
Email: jack@ntrci.com
or
House of Hot Rods
2301 Hwy 1187 Suite 201 Mansfield, Texas 76063
(817) 466-9942
info@txhouseofhotrods.com

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 05-03-2015 at 10:24 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
GVDobler

@'65 Chevy Lover

I was lamenting the general idea of why people don't want to do the job we have for them.

As franken said. Rust is hard work vs putting on chrome valve covers. Same hourly work, but much easier.

I wish you luck on your rust removal mission.
GVDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
bcontractor

http://swrnc.com/
bcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I have found that it is always better to do business face to face instead of a e-mail or phone call. But Have you tried (not that I endorse any of them):
North Texas Rod and Custom, Inc.
15750 FM 2860
Kaufman, TX, USA 75142
Call: 903-498-7037
Email: jack@ntrci.com
or
House of Hot Rods
2301 Hwy 1187 Suite 201 Mansfield, Texas 76063
(817) 466-9942
info@txhouseofhotrods.com
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call monday.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVDobler View Post
@'65 Chevy Lover

I was lamenting the general idea of why people don't want to do the job we have for them.

As franken said. Rust is hard work vs putting on chrome valve covers. Same hourly work, but much easier.

I wish you luck on your rust removal mission.

Thanks for the well wishes. The main thing I was pissed about was the "I'll call you back" and then not doing that. If they don't want to do it, just say no from the start.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcontractor View Post

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out monday.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #11
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
Thanks for the well wishes. The main thing I was pissed about was the "I'll call you back" and then not doing that. If they don't want to do it, just say no from the start.
I have found after coming home that "follow up" is not a strong point in most people in Texas. Probably America in general - just sayin

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 05-04-2015 at 08:56 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote