The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Mr Handy

Qjet Electric choke install.

I had a couple of requests to start a thread on my recent electric choke install so here we go.
First of all I have a 71 Qjet
The engine is a 283 with 305 tbi heads (187) the intake is an Edelbrock dual plane intake.
The choke kit I picked up is this one http://quadrajetparts.com/rochester-...400-p-399.html
I also have a 1" spacer for the carb.
mounting the choke was fairly straight forward.
First I located the choke on the manifold, I had to trim the bracket in order for the linkage to line up properly and push pull vertically without the risk of binding. I then added a bit of a bend to the bracket because the divorced choke plate on the intake sits at a slight angle. I simply bent the bracket until the choke stood properly.
Once everything was lining up I checked that the choke rod had enough travel to fully disengage the choke and unlock the secondaries.

To mount the choke I marked the mounting hole in the choke bracket, removed the choke plate, and drilled and taped a hole for the mounting screw. I used a 8-32 machine screw and a lock washer.

The kit includes a temp sensor that mounts under an intake bolt near the front water crossover. You simply connect the wire from the temp sensor to the choke and then connect it to a switched 12v source. The pigtail had enough wire that I was able to run the wire across the back of the engine and in to the cab through the grommet for the wiper hoses. I then just crimped on a female connector and plugged the wire into the fuse block... done.

Once I had everything mounted and wired I started the truck and let it warm up until the choke had traveled to it's max. I found that the choke was sitting about 1/8" to low so I simply made a spacer out of some flat stock and placed it between the manifold and choke.

That's it, simple and works like a charm. After a little tweaking of the cold setting for the choke as covered in the included instructions, everything has worked perfectly for the first 200 miles. Let me know if I skipped over something or if you have any questions or want to see something not in the pictures.
Here are a few pics of the setup as it sits now.
Attached Images

Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
sKnNyPpY

Re: Qjet Electric choke install.

Good stuff. Think I'll do this over the summer.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote