The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Lugnutz65

E-brake conversion to 1966 style - but this one's a hybrid.

I removed my 1965 E-brake bracket over a year ago because I knew it would interfere with installing my T5 transmission. Today I finished my new E-brake system. I had intended to convert it to a complete 1966 E-brake system but after studying it further, I realized I could make it a hybrid system and reuse the 1965 rear cables. I used a 1966 cab E-brake cable which is shorter than the 1965 cab cable. Another key ingredient was finding the 1/8" cable stop at the local Northern Tool retailer. See photo - I only needed one of the small round ones. To make the 13" middle cable piece I used some undamaged 1968 E-brake cable that already had one end stop and attached a new stop on the other end by smacking the aluminum piece with a 3 lb sledge. That's why it looks a little flatter. The solid 24" PS rod, 2 cable saddle guides and 2 cable connection brackets can be found on 1966 through 1972 trucks. So it's a hybrid because I used the original 1965 rear cables and just made a short intermediate cable.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
oldtrux

Re: E-brake conversion to 1966 style - but this one's a hybrid.

a little off topic but is your t5 actually mounted to the crossmember?
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrux View Post
a little off topic but is your t5 actually mounted to the crossmember?
Short answer is no. My truck is not a driver yet, but almost. The 1965 crossmember has been removed. It was in the way. Some folks who install a T5 will remove the E-brake bracket and simply relocate it BELOW the frame rail using some spacers. It works just fine in the new location under the frame. The photo below is someone else's truck with the bracket mounted under the frame. I decided to completely remove my E-brake crossmember and convert to the 1966 version because I parted out a 1966 truck and had all the parts I needed. I intend to install a transmission crossmember for my T5. There is a lot of debate as to whether a crossmember is needed for the T5 if you have the bell on a crossmember. I will not elaborate here but I know how to do it properly.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
oldtrux

thanks for the reply.my 66 is not on the road yet but i just have my t5 mounted on the bell like shown in your pic above.not sure on crossmember mount or not lol.
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrux View Post
thanks for the reply.my 66 is not on the road yet but i just have my t5 mounted on the bell like shown in your pic above.not sure on crossmember mount or not lol.
PM sent.