The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
John H.

Seattle craigslist scam

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/5011307415.html

First email:
Hi there,

My name is Joana, happy to see you are interested in my 1972 Chevrolet C-10. Let me give you a few details about it. Really good shape, never had any problems with it, no scratches nor dents, the car is free of any accidents, it has 51,000 miles, automatic transmission, 350 CID V8 engine, the title is legally under my name, clear and free of any liens or loans.The price was reduced at $2,000. Probably it deserves more, but I'm asking this price because my medical team will deploy back to Afghanistan on the end of the month for 1 year contract and its not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for 1 year so there's no use on keeping it,therefore I need a fast and reliable buyer.If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Here is a link to the truck photo gallery: http://postimg.org/gallery/3fas38t8s/
Sincerely,
Joana

Second:Hi again,

Right now I'm in a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested just email with your legal name (your right full name 'cause it will appear on the papers), full shipping address where you want the vehicle delivered and your cell phone # where you can be reached so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you

What a shame to use the military

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  104.5 KB
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
srvivor71

Re: Seattle craigslist scam

Yeah, I think that's got all the signs to make a smart person run the other way.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Secret Squirrel

I'm amazed how many folks fall for these scams, can't even meet in person without wondering if you're going to be robbed. I deal face to face and meet where I know there is security cameras.
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Jonlopes

A little while back a Nigerian prince contacted me through Criagslist asking if I could let him borrow $5000 to do something with his bank and promised $5,000,000 in return. As soon as that money comes in I hope to be able to buy a truck as nice as the one pictured above.
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Secret Squirrel

Scammers always talk the same way .. I'm in a military base, on the end of the month, for one year contract, within three working days, etc etc.

As if there are not enough clues you can usually spot the English is my second language and I have to ship it to you. Sometimes all they want is your number and email, either way definitely red flags.
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
54blackhornet

I just watched a news program about Vets being charged $25.000 dollars for a months supply of a compounded cream that helps pain and burn systems. The product has been tested and provides little to no relief ? Where the hell is this government headed ? Anyone who prays on our military staff should be prosecuted immediately to the fullest extent. JMO, burns my A$$ just thinking about it....
Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

sounds EXACTLY like the craigslist scam my coworker almost got scammed on for a nice ninja style bike... same crap about about being in the military giving the bike away for pretty much nothing and the ebay deal. till I called for him to verify the same ebay person with an indian accent answered the phone 3 times in a row imagine that

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
67 cst swb

They have been doing this scam for quite awhile on craigslist.
I have emailed about a few truck (2001 & 2002 Silverados) that end up with this email process.
On one of them in the Las Vegas craigslist ad. The emailer said truck was at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota as that was where he was last stationed and deployed from. Then when I said "hey that's were I live and will be taking it. Can I just look at it there and let you know. He said no and that it had to be shipped to a address as per ebay buyer policy. I gave him a Rapid City address about 4 miles from Ellsworth and never heard back.
Big Scam!
You can usually tell by a overly nice glossy almost professional photo or a grainy copy of a copy of a copy quality photo. and either way the price is a great price for the vehicle shown.

Wait until you get the one where a guy from Jamaica calls you and tells you won a sweepstakes and when you ask him where you entered the sweepstakes he goes through a list of big name stores.
When I told him I don't shop at any of those stores. He says "SIR!! I AM TRYING TO GIVE YOU YOUR WINNINGS" I then asked why he is calling me from Jamaica, he says "SIR!! WHY ARE YOU HARASSING ME ABOUT ALL THIS?"
He was livid, yelling mad.
Then when I got my cell bill, I was charged for out of country long distance charges. Thanks Verizon.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 05-06-2015 at 04:21 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I just watched a news program about Vets being charged $25.000 dollars for a months supply of a compounded cream that helps pain and burn systems. The product has been tested and provides little to no relief ? Where the hell is this government headed ? Anyone who prays on our military staff should be prosecuted immediately to the fullest extent. JMO, burns my A$$ just thinking about it....
I couldn't agree more!
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I'm amazed how many folks fall for these scams, can't even meet in person without wondering if you're going to be robbed. I deal face to face and meet where I know there is security cameras.
I deal face-to-face too but I always travel in threes: Smith, Wesson, and me.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle sight unseen unless I had sent an agent to do the face-to-face for me.

Yes the letters have that "all sunshine and never a cloud" ring to them and the use of the term "car" instead of "truck" would have gotten my attention.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
I have emailed about a few truck (2001 & 2002 Silverados) that end up with this email process.
On one of them in the Las Vegas craigslist ad. The emailer said truck was at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota as that was where he was last stationed and deployed from. Then when I said "hey that's were I live and will be taking it. Can I just look at it there and let you know. He said no and that it had to be shipped to a address as per ebay buyer policy. I gave him a Rapid City address about 4 miles from Ellsworth and never heard back.
Big Scam!
You can usually tell by a overly nice glossy almost professional photo or a grainy copy of a copy of a copy quality photo. and either way the price is a great price for the vehicle shown.

Wait until you get the one where a guy from Jamaica calls you and tells you won a sweepstakes and when you ask him where you entered the sweepstakes he goes through a list of big name stores.
When I told him I don't shop at any of those stores. He says "SIR!! I AM TRYING TO GIVE YOU YOUR WINNINGS" I then asked why he is calling me from Jamaica, he says "SIR!! WHY ARE YOU HARASSING ME ABOUT ALL THIS?"
He was livid, yelling mad.
Then when I got my cell bill, I was charged for out of country long distance charges. Thanks Verizon.
I get long distance calls several times a day.....so turning one down is too risky for me. Yet, there is a scam that if you so much as answer the phone, immediate international call charge and it's legal.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
trac209

How sad the world has come to stuff like this
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
nicks diner

I almost got scammed on a 84 cj7. Same story to good to be true, he said he was based in England and jeep was in a military base in Texas. Told me to wire money to a bank in England and would have the jeep delivered to me upon receipt of payment. I ran his email thru I think it was scam.com or similar to that and sure enough he screwed 3 people totaling 16k. No shame using the military in a scam is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Live and learn I guess.
nicks diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
kwmech

Anybody scan all the pics posted? truck has a big block in it not a 350
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
truckster

I've dealt with these types of scams as well. Usually I just let them go, but one of them claimed to be in the military, so I didn't feel like I could just let it go. He said he was at Ft. Riley, KS. I told him I was just getting ready to go there on a TDY and I'd love to look at the truck while I was there. Then he gave me some story about it being in storage on base and hard to get access, blah, blah, blah... I told him I didn't think I'd have any problem with my military ID. We went back and forth for about two weeks, with the scammer coming up with excuses and me shooting them down. He finally gave up.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Custom/Ten

Where I live there's been a kid missing for a while, they just found his body. They suspect it was a craigslist robbery. Be careful out there!
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #17
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

This world is getting crazy. I can't believe the things that people do today. I have a son and two son-in-laws that are Deputy Sheriffs. I fear for them every day. besides the nut jobs that are out there, the cops have no rights any more. They're the "Bad Guys" now. Be careful people. There's always someone out there looking to screw you over.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
WarMonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom/Ten View Post
Where I live there's been a kid missing for a while, they just found his body. They suspect it was a craigslist robbery. Be careful out there!
Couple things I always show up with when dealing with craigslist.

Money
Guns
Friends
Attached Images

1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
leddzepp

Paranoid people are funny

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #20
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
Me too. I can fly for free, so usually when I offer to fly out and take a look at it in person the conversation dries up.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #21
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
...and the use of the term "car" instead of "truck" would have gotten my attention.
This this this this this x 1000!

Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote