The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
7tee

Clutch and pressure plate for t5 tranny

Pulled my old clutch system out my 350 to replace. It had a 11" 14spline 1" dia. clutch plate, so I bought the new clutch kit from autozone for 1985 Astro Van that included the clutch, pressure plate t. o. bearing, pilot bushing and a line up tool. All went good until I started the motor and it would not go in gear. After many clutch adjustments I had the adjusting rod so tight that the pressure plate fingers were almost flat and would bearly go in gear. Ended up tearing everything back out to double check and everything was installed correctly. The only difference I can see is the pressure plate fingers have a wider span and the spring system is different on it. Should I be using a regular SBC V8 11" pressure plate with the S10 T5. That's the only possible difference in this set up, thanks Ed...
7tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
tranz am

Re: Clutch and pressure plate for t5 tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tee View Post
Pulled my old clutch system out my 350 to replace. It had a 11" 14spline 1" dia. clutch plate, so I bought the new clutch kit from autozone for 1985 Astro Van that included the clutch, pressure plate t. o. bearing, pilot bushing and a line up tool. All went good until I started the motor and it would not go in gear. After many clutch adjustments I had the adjusting rod so tight that the pressure plate fingers were almost flat and would bearly go in gear. Ended up tearing everything back out to double check and everything was installed correctly. The only difference I can see is the pressure plate fingers have a wider span and the spring system is different on it. Should I be using a regular SBC V8 11" pressure plate with the S10 T5. That's the only possible difference in this set up, thanks Ed...
I've ran a world class t5 behind a 350 with a 11 inch flywheel stock style centerforce pressure plate and an aftermarket 11" t5 clutch disc with no problems , so i know that works.

Best 1/4 mile time 12.1 @ 111 w/traction issues

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
tranz am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

Hi Ed,
Sounds like you have the Borg & Beck pressure plate in it. They have three fingers instead of the multiple fingers of the diaphram pressure plate. Either should work, the Borg & Beck is just a little stiffer.

You might have the wrong throwout bearing in it. There are three different length throwout bearings and I think you may have the short one and not getting enough throw with it.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe the clutch disk is in backwards. it should be marked "Flywheel Side" on one side of it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-05-2015 at 09:44 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
jocko

What Leon said - release bearing is most likely the issue. If you bought it as a kit, it "should" work as a system behind any small block. While you have it apart - highly recommend placing the pressure plate face down on the garage floor, then rest the release bearing on the pressure plate fingers where it would contact them. Place a level across the top and measure from the bottom edge of the level to the garage floor. This gives you your new "stacked height" for lack of a better term. Then do the same thing with your stock parts and compare. They should be about the same combined height. If it is not, might not have the correct clutch kit (but it sounds like you have the correct one). Orientation of the release bearing is likely the problem. If you look closely at the RB, it's not symmetrical, and there is a fat end with meat on it and then the skinny end where the clutch fork engages it at two points - this is the end that goes toward the rear of the truck. The whole mess can easily be assembled with the release bearing installed exactly backwards. Additionally, another way to tell which end is correct is that the end with the face that spins inside itself relative to the rest of the release bearing (if that even makes sense...) should be in contact with the pressure plate fingers. I've attached a few pics that may or may not help - in the first, the pressure plate is at the top of the photo, the bottom is the back inside of the bell hsg where the trans bolts. 2nd pic has the pressure plate profile in the upper right of the picture. These clearly show the correct orientation on the release bearing. Also, just to double check - did you trim down your release bearing collar before reinstallation?
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
7tee

Thanks for all responses, the new clutch (which states this side toward flywheel) and T O bearing match perfectly (down to the serial #s). The old pressure plate (all by a PO) had 18 fingers as does the new one but is a different breed. This kit is for a V6 not a V8, something tells me it has to be the pressure plate. Brand name just installed was Duralast NU31O78, thanks Ed...
Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
7tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
What Leon said - release bearing is most likely the issue. If you bought it as a kit, it "should" work as a system behind any small block. While you have it apart - highly recommend placing the pressure plate face down on the garage floor, then rest the release bearing on the pressure plate fingers where it would contact them. Place a level across the top and measure from the bottom edge of the level to the garage floor. This gives you your new "stacked height" for lack of a better term. Then do the same thing with your stock parts and compare. They should be about the same combined height. If it is not, might not have the correct clutch kit (but it sounds like you have the correct one). Orientation of the release bearing is likely the problem. If you look closely at the RB, it's not symmetrical, and there is a fat end with meat on it and then the skinny end where the clutch fork engages it at two points - this is the end that goes toward the rear of the truck. The whole mess can easily be assembled with the release bearing installed exactly backwards. Additionally, another way to tell which end is correct is that the end with the face that spins inside itself relative to the rest of the release bearing (if that even makes sense...) should be in contact with the pressure plate fingers. I've attached a few pics that may or may not help - in the first, the pressure plate is at the top of the photo, the bottom is the back inside of the bell hsg where the trans bolts. 2nd pic has the pressure plate profile in the upper right of the picture. These clearly show the correct orientation on the release bearing. Also, just to double check - did you trim down your release bearing collar before reinstallation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
7tee

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure what you mean by trimming down t o flange, but I didn't...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
jocko

The release bearing collar on the t5 is normally too long - needs to have the end cut off. Doesn't have to be perfect or neat, but needs to be shorter. It is the cylindrical sleeve that bolts to the t5 upon which the release bearing rides - the tube that points at the flywheel had to have about 3/4" trimmed off (double check my t5 thread on that measurement please - it shows measurements and pictures of the chopping).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
7tee

Thanks jocko I'll be checking it out...Ed
Old 05-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
7tee

In short after pulling everything and reinstalling, I think I understand why there was two washers between the tranny and bellhousing on each bolt by previous owner (? spacer). Even though I installed the same clutch and pp and it still won't release, I've come to the conclusion that the bearing retainer (even though p o had cut it off) must still be hitting the clutch disk hub (hence the two washer spacer thing) not allowing it to release. This clutch must have a little longer hub. Now, not sure how much farther do I bring the tranny out?