The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
DroppedMetalCustoms

Suspension guru's i need your help! stock 64 long bed

Hello guys first off im a newbie here and this is my first chevy, im a Volkswagen guy and know them like the back of my hand but being from England im not very well acquainted with the chevy running gear! so i have a one owner 64 chevy long bed with a straight 6 engine that i will be keeping, so far i have added 2" lowering springs in the front and the Jeep coils in the rear. as of now im riding nose high a little and plan on Dropping the front as low as possible on a static set up with helper bags in the rear for when i load it up with material for my shop and dirt bikes when i go racing but i just want to concentrate on the front end right now. ive read almost every thread i can find about dropping these ol chevys but there always converted to disk breaks and thats not in my budget right now and seeing as i drive slow with my straight six i dont really feel the need. so from my understanding dropped spindles are out of the question if using drum brakes that leaves me the option of modifying my stock suspension components, ive read a lot about modded A arms and im leaning towards that route, i found a good write up for modding the lower A arms with photos on the Hamb but nothing about lowers and uppers to keep all the angles and geometry correct.
Dropped cross members are typically used for bagged set ups if ive read correctly so i dont think i need to modify that, ive read about C notching the front of the frame for tie rod clearance so im not sure if ill need to do this at the moment either and im not sure i want to Z the frame instead of modding the suspension components.
im a welder fabricator of over 20years ive built many cool custom Vdubs for myself and customers i dont want to hear any negative stuff regarding cutting and welding parts or just go disk brakes and dropped spindles. please be respectful of this thread. what ever i do ill make a build thread for others like myself that want to Drop there truck on drums so they have something to help them, ill also make jigs for everything i mod like the A arms.

Thank you

Aston
DroppedMetalCustoms
DroppedMetalCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Suspension guru's i need your help! stock 64 long bed

Have you considered dropped spindles?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Lowl!f3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Have you considered dropped spindles?
He said "those are out of the question" as if he doesnt know they have drop spindles for drum now.

Drum has drop spindles brother. That would fix you right up instead of lowered control arm. By going spindle you will have a smoother ride.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
DroppedMetalCustoms

who sells drop spindles for a 64 C10 for drum brakes i cant find any
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I haven't heard of dropped drum spindles either. I would suggest to remove the jeep springs and put some aftermarket 4 inch drop
Springs and 1.5" blocks.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Lowl!f3

Im going to have to retract my statement. I cannot find the article I seen about 6 months ago.
This guy used a set of drop spindles on his truck and drum brakes. Or maybe I miss understood what I was reading... if I find it again I will be sure to bringnit back up.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
DroppedMetalCustoms

Ive seriously searched the web and visited multiple C10 forums for info on dropping the front end on stock drums, the disk brake conversion is not in the budget right now and this is not a show truck and probably never will be due to the nature i use the truck, hauling material for random fabrication jobs i get or loading up the dirt bikes and going racing.
seeing as i have the skills to modify or even make my own parts im looking for the guys that have modded there front suspension components and have in put on the angles to make things work as they should after dropping this low, added caster in the lower A arms is one area i have found , but i havent found much on the upper A arms. im not too sure about scrub lines either i need to research that too and was hoping starting this thread would help out as most guys run disk brakes and have different components on there 63-66 trucks
Old 04-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Lowl!f3

Well dropping it with drums. You can modify lower control arms. The scrub line will cause the bushing area of the lower control arm to contact the ground. Just depends on how low your going.
Cutting the coils will drop it some. And trim the bump stops.
Donor truck to convert to disk up front and then you can get drop spindles.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
chevyrestoguy

If you want to remain on drum brakes, eliminate scrub line issues, have a decent ride, and still be low, I would "Z" the chassis. Go up 2" and bring the wheelbase forward 1" to center the wheel in the fender opening. The cost of a "Z" is cheap, and the final effect is dramatic.

Check out my '64 build thread. I Z'd my chassis, along with a bunch of other low-buck tricks. I think you could apply a lot of them to your build.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
sambrutay

@chevyrestoguy, I was just getting ready to suggest that DroppedMetalCustoms check out your build. Z'd frame would probably work well for him.

1964 C10 SWB #Junk
1979 C10 utility #cargopants (sold)
1971 GMC Sprint (sold)
1974 GMC Grande Sierra (sold)
sambrutay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
chevyrestoguy

Thanks, sambrutay!

Hey, where in Louisville are you at? I was born and raised in the South End, by Iroquois Park. Left home to join the Air Force and after many years, wound up in California. I have a lot of good memories of that place, and most of my family still lives there.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
Lowl!f3

6 lug drop spindles....

Amazon.com: McGaughys Chevy C10 1963-70 Drop... Amazon.com: McGaughys Chevy C10 1963-70 Drop...
Old 04-28-2015, 04:20 AM   #13
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
If you want to remain on drum brakes, eliminate scrub line issues, have a decent ride, and still be low, I would "Z" the chassis. Go up 2" and bring the wheelbase forward 1" to center the wheel in the fender opening. The cost of a "Z" is cheap, and the final effect is dramatic.

Check out my '64 build thread. I Z'd my chassis, along with a bunch of other low-buck tricks. I think you could apply a lot of them to your build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=446527&page=8
Wow
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowl!f3 View Post
Yeah but that's a disc conversion as well. Lots of companies making 6 lug disc conversions with dropped spindles.

The OP wanted to keep the drums (not sure why as disc are far superior).
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #15
lobuck64

I just lowered my 64 last weekend I used 3 inch drop springs for 73-87 c10 still using drum brakes no issues done a-body rear springs done this on several trucks with good results
lobuck64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Switch to disc.
Everyone chooses what they spend their money on.
Well worth the safety upgrade.
Save your money until you can add disc brakes.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
sambrutay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Thanks, sambrutay!

Hey, where in Louisville are you at? I was born and raised in the South End, by Iroquois Park. Left home to join the Air Force and after many years, wound up in California. I have a lot of good memories of that place, and most of my family still lives there.
@ Chevyrestoguy,
Sorry, did not see this response.
I grew up on Frankfort ave, Moved to S 5th street in the mid 90's. Maybe you know Donnie and Robert Neville? lived by them. they grew up in that area. I had noticed you were from Louisville when I read thru you build.
Bruce

1964 C10 SWB #Junk
1979 C10 utility #cargopants (sold)
1971 GMC Sprint (sold)
1974 GMC Grande Sierra (sold)
sambrutay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #18
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroppedMetalCustoms View Post
Hello guys first off im a newbie here and this is my first chevy, im a Volkswagen guy and know them like the back of my hand but being from England im not very well acquainted with the chevy running gear! so i have a one owner 64 chevy long bed with a straight 6 engine that i will be keeping, so far i have added 2" lowering springs in the front and the Jeep coils in the rear. as of now im riding nose high a little and plan on Dropping the front as low as possible on a static set up with helper bags in the rear for when i load it up with material for my shop and dirt bikes when i go racing but i just want to concentrate on the front end right now. ive read almost every thread i can find about dropping these ol chevys but there always converted to disk breaks and thats not in my budget right now and seeing as i drive slow with my straight six i dont really feel the need. so from my understanding dropped spindles are out of the question if using drum brakes that leaves me the option of modifying my stock suspension components, ive read a lot about modded A arms and im leaning towards that route, i found a good write up for modding the lower A arms with photos on the Hamb but nothing about lowers and uppers to keep all the angles and geometry correct.
Dropped cross members are typically used for bagged set ups if ive read correctly so i dont think i need to modify that, ive read about C notching the front of the frame for tie rod clearance so im not sure if ill need to do this at the moment either and im not sure i want to Z the frame instead of modding the suspension components.
im a welder fabricator of over 20years ive built many cool custom Vdubs for myself and customers i dont want to hear any negative stuff regarding cutting and welding parts or just go disk brakes and dropped spindles. please be respectful of this thread. what ever i do ill make a build thread for others like myself that want to Drop there truck on drums so they have something to help them, ill also make jigs for everything i mod like the A arms.

Thank you

Aston
DroppedMetalCustoms
I was in youre spot 11 years ago I had hot rods and dirt bikes but always loved low trucks .. I started mine with 3 inch drop springs up front and 4 in the rear .. not low enough I cut 1/2 a coil on the front and added blocks in the back still not low enough..today 3inch dropped spindles with c-notch in the and 5 inch coils in rear so now ive got 7- 6/1/2 drop really low I know but I go lock to lock with no issues and rides damn good for as low as it is .. hope this helps
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote