The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
michael.howell12

71 Blazer inner & outer axel spline/length/replacement?

I have a 71 blazer and the ujoint holes on the front axels are shot. The holes that hold the ujoint in place are broken due to abuse. I bought it like this. Does anyone know what spline/length/size axel is a direct replacement? I was looking online and it seems like I could buy the wrong one pretty easily.

Didn't want to take it all apart just to measure the axel since it's my daily driver. Not sure if I can keep riding around if I can't get the axel back together being broke like that!

Will be the first time swapping axels out.
michael.howell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: 71 Blazer inner & outer axel spline/length/replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.howell12 View Post
I have a 71 blazer and the ujoint holes on the front axels are shot. The holes that hold the ujoint in place are broken due to abuse. I bought it like this. Does anyone know what spline/length/size axel is a direct replacement? I was looking online and it seems like I could buy the wrong one pretty easily.

Didn't want to take it all apart just to measure the axel since it's my daily driver. Not sure if I can keep riding around if I can't get the axel back together being broke like that!

Will be the first time swapping axels out.
Should be standard for that year Dana 44.....
go HERE for info on lengths......the outers will be the same length.

You will have to pull everything off both sides to get the axles out. You will need a special spanner socket to remove the wheel bearing nuts. All else is pretty straight forward.

Pull wheels off, brake calipers, rotors, lockout hubs, inner nut(s), unbolt spindle and the caliper bracket and dust shield will come off, then you can pull the axles out......you won't need to remove the knuckles, the axles will slide through the hole in them.

Now if you need inner seals, that is more tear down.......you will have to remove the diff cover, probably take the tie rod loose at one end and pull the ring gear and carrier out of the housing. the seals are inside the diff housing, one on each side. If it was me, while I had it torn down I would go ahead and replace the seals. If you don't and they start leaking later, you have to pull all that stuff off again to get to them.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote