The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

electronic suspension ?

Can a tahoe or burb that has this option be changed to regular shocks? By unplugging the shocks or pulling a fuse will a message then appear.
Reason i ask is i will be looking for probably a tahoe soon and i would walk away from one with this option but maybe not if i could get around it.
Anyone have experience with this?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: electronic suspension ?

Boog, I rebuilt a Tahoe with that stuff on it and it cost stupid money to take care of it. I called around every yard around us in the state and nobody had anything. I since bought one for salvage and didn't even know it had it. But the company you need to know with one of those is Arnott industries. They have shocks and a bypass kit to "fool" the BCM into thinking everything is still there and working fine. They can also rebuild all of those pieces on there to keep the stuff all factory if that is more your taste. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

Thanks Jim. I just will not put up with dealing with that stuff. I thought that option would likely only come on denalis, escalades. Upper end models ya know but i see some tahoes have it also. I see Oreilly's lists the front shocks at $234 each. Pocket shock i tell ya.
You can bet i'll be looking under the fenders for those big shock assemblies.
I wonder just what years and models they were available?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
hugger6933

They go back as far as 02 for sure maybe into the 01 model year.Normally when the shock go out you can have them rebuilt for a hundred or so each. The other bad thing is when the air bladder is messed up it will allow the compressor to run so long it burns up too. The Arnott people have all the cures for the air shock[ The General calls it Auto ride] ills. It isn't a very popular option like I had said I had only one Tahoe out of probably ten or so that had it.I have had many others that were what I would call loaded then this one showed [with a bad shock]. Later Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
LEEVON

Monroe makes a kit that comes with standard shocks and a simple wiring kit with resistors that fools the air management system so the light stays off. Couple hundred bucks. You should see the look on customer's faces when you quote $1000 for a pair of factory replacement shocks...which is why we don't anymore.

I hate this option by the way. All the original ones are blown now it seems.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Boog
laying low

Another one of those better ideas that should have gone the way of the quadrasteer deal? 😉

Old 05-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
Boats&Hoes

Oh ya tons of experience.
Some do not know that there was a ''self-leveling - Nivomat'' suspension, AND there was the (crap) ''electronic Auto-Ride suspension.''

The original suspension and the Nivomat, if I am not mistaken were much more common than the Auto-Ride...To answer your question, if you are specifically talking about the Nivomat, yes you can easily bypass the system with the use of shocks and OE springs. Not expensive.

However if you have the electronic Auto-Ride suspension, then Arnott will be your best bet. They are about the only ones out there tackling this type of suspension. I personally would avoid any electronic suspension on a Tahoe/Yukon like it was a bowl filled with sticky bodily fluids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Can a tahoe or burb that has this option be changed to regular shocks? By unplugging the shocks or pulling a fuse will a message then appear.
Reason i ask is i will be looking for probably a tahoe soon and i would walk away from one with this option but maybe not if i could get around it.
Anyone have experience with this?
Boats&Hoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
ivancov

dEal,,,
ivancov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Have the Autoride in my wifes 02 Yukon. What a nightmare the whole thing has been. The system starts the pump for a few seconds EVERY TIME the ignition is on. Then the pressure / ride sensors are 'supposed to' signal the Body Control Module to release air to set ride height. Well our BCM will not activate the release solenoid. So every time it pumps another 3-5psi into the system until it's a stink bug,, and then blew the bags in the air shocks. My pump, solenoids and all seems to test fine, but the body control module has the error. You think we could find one ANYWHERE!!! NOPE!!!

I pull the relay out of the system (underhood) until we are headed on a heavily loaded trip. Fortunately the older systems with separate body control module in the back separate from the computer are not smart enough to display. Anyone has eliminated / wants to sell one of the 02 BCM modules please let me know!!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:16 AM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Are you guys talking about the G69 option which GM calls "Auto Level Control"? I have found a real nice lo mile (80,000 miles ) 133,000 kms one owner ( older folks ) 2000 very loaded ( sunroof and all ) Suburban and it has the Auto Level Control option. After reading this thread I am wondering how the Auto Level thing will work in our seriously cold Winters up here. My 1994 Burb is starting to sprout a little rust here and there and am thinking of buying this one to replace it.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

My wife's 2005 Denali AWD Yukon has the self-leveling option. The pump does come on periodically but as far as we've had it there's been no issues with it so far-just an annoying "service air bag" light thats always on. Truck has 155K on it and that 6.0 just keeps purring like a kitten!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote