The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Dougtpg

Chassis strip/prep

Hey guys!

I've decided that I was going to do a full on restoration with my truck. I have limited time and money right now, but I'm going to do it little by little. I'm pretty much ready to start stripping the rear section of the chassis but I was wondering the best way to do it, considering Its not going to be a one shot deal. Plan is to strip it using a wire wheel on an angle grinder, and I am going to pick up an area sandblaster for cheap to do the places I can't reach. Are there any better methods you guys use? I have no access to a full scale blaster. Also, what primer do you guys use as a good base? Going to be stripping and priming as I go. When its all done, what do you recommend for chassis paint/coatings? Trying to do this completely on my own without professional help, any input is greatly appreciated!

This is how she is sitting right now.
Dougtpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Chassis strip/prep

Welcome aboard from the lower states, I use an attachment for a pressure washer to sandblast anything you can think of. Pressure washer has to have at least 2700 psi and 2.5 gpm or higher. Watercannon.com sells it for about $110.00. Use sand for a fine finish, or blackjack for an aggressive cut and a rougher finish. Once blasted the bare metal gets a rust film that washes away with metal prep and you are ready for primer. I think a person could make money sandblasting for hire using this method. You only need good fitting goggles as there is no dust to get in your lungs. Good luck on you project, nice color combo!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
Ol 67 C10

I have had good luck with epoxy primer. Sprayed it on our 62 Impala frame, then sprayed with Nason Full-Thane black. It seem to be holding up really good.

62 Impala SS (Clone)
350 SBC/4 Speed/3:36 Posi Rear

2003 Silverado Crew Cab (Black)
2500 HD 4x4/6.0L/Auto/Posi
Ol 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
hugger6933

Angle grinder with tire or a flap wheel will work fine for you then spray on some black epoxy primer then chassis black or some black equipment enamel it is super cheap and tough and nails. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote