The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
dmw319

Front wheel bearings making noise?

Over a year ago I installed a front brake disc conversion along with new wheel bearings. For the past couple months I get a howling noise that sounds like its coming from the front of the car (which I am guessing is the wheel bearings). I can turn my car off compeltely while driving and the noise still remains so I don't think it is engine related (a belt, transmission noise, etc).

Can I simply take the old wheel bearings out and grease them up again? Should I have done this after a certain amount of time after installing new ones as a routine thing? I've never had to do it before but who knows. They are only $40 new from ECE, but maybe it's not the noise at all? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks yall!

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
tcrist

Re: Front wheel bearings making noise?

Jack up the front of the truck and spin the wheels. You should be able to hear which one is bad.

Shouldn't they just be stock wheel bearings. I would hope that ECE would just have used stock style bearings.

You could just take the bearings out and read the number on them. Then you should be able to cross reference them at an auto parts store. They should just be "Timken" roller bearings.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Jack up the front of the truck and spin the wheels. You should be able to hear which one is bad.

Shouldn't they just be stock wheel bearings. I would hope that ECE would just have used stock style bearings.

You could just take the bearings out and read the number on them. Then you should be able to cross reference them at an auto parts store. They should just be "Timken" roller bearings.
would I be able to hear the bad bearing(s) when just spinning them lightly with the front lifted? I normally can only hear the noise at certain times (usually around 30-40mph) or so.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

You probably wont be able to hear it up on stands. Are you sure the bearings were packed and preload adjusted correctly?
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
You probably wont be able to hear it up on stands. Are you sure the bearings were packed and preload adjusted correctly?
I packed them myself. As far as preload, I think so.. for the whole first year they didn't make a sound. Only the last few months. Maybe they just need to be repacked?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
tcrist

So far if I could hear them driving I could either hear or feel them by spinning them.

You can usually tell if they are not correct by spinning them. If anything, buy some new inner seals and repack them.

Another way is to drive it around for a while, stop and feel the hubs, grease caps or even the wheels. One side should be warmer than the other if a bearing is bad.

Can you see any grease that has leaked from the outer or inner bearing on either side?
Old 12-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
So far if I could hear them driving I could either hear or feel them by spinning them.

You can usually tell if they are not correct by spinning them. If anything, buy some new inner seals and repack them.

Another way is to drive it around for a while, stop and feel the hubs, grease caps or even the wheels. One side should be warmer than the other if a bearing is bad.

Can you see any grease that has leaked from the outer or inner bearing on either side?
don't see any, but i plan to take the wheels off today and at least look around and see if i can tell anything!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

If you jack it up & spin them you will hear if it has a bad brg. They should make no noise except maybe the pads rubbing the rotor. If it is noisey you will have a bad brg. Repacking it will not help much. Clean them real good & look for pits or scoreing.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
If you jack it up & spin them you will hear if it has a bad brg. They should make no noise except maybe the pads rubbing the rotor. If it is noisey you will have a bad brg. Repacking it will not help much. Clean them real good & look for pits or scoreing.
so repacking the bearing with more grease won't shut it up? I was hoping I could just do that.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
WIDESIDE72

Not to be condescending, but were the bearings packed correctly? I sold an engine to a guy once and when he went to leave the wheel was locked up. He thought he had packed them correctly, but after i helped hom replace the ruined spindle and actually pack the bearings on that side and the other side, he realized otherwise.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Not to be condescending, but were the bearings packed correctly? I sold an engine to a guy once and when he went to leave the wheel was locked up. He thought he had packed them correctly, but after i helped hom replace the ruined spindle and actually pack the bearings on that side and the other side, he realized otherwise.
yeah. i have done them before on other vehciles.. and i also followed the directions ECE gave me to a T. as i said before, they haven't made a noise until after 1 year. i even got it aligned after the install and everything seemed fine. but sure, i guess there is a chance.. but i don't think that is it?

Old 12-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
tcrist

Usually if they are starting to make a noise, they already need replacing. You could re-pack them and maybe get by for a while, but why? You already have them out for re-packing, might as well put new ones in. You will have to eventually.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
jocko

concur with tcrist. perhaps you got the cheapies (unknowingly) from overseas? What brand were the bearings? If they were silent for a year and are no making a noticeable noise, I'd say that you very likely did pack them correctly - and that they very likely are shot and need replacing. Recommend Timken or some other US mfgr. If you go to a basic auto store, you'll get Chinese if you don't ask for the upgrade. Ask the brand and if US made, and be prepared to pay a bit more. If you know for sure you put US bearings, then not sure what to tell you.

Did your ECE kit use the 73+ tapered bearings? Most upgrade kits use 73-87 spindles (and therefore bearings).

If you bought the ECE kit with later spindles and installed the 72-style spindle bearings, that could be the issue for early wear out (I'm not sure they would have fit at all if that was the case - but I do know the kits are labeled pretty clearly as to whether or not they use 71-72 style or 73-87 style bearings, so just wanted to mention.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
concur with tcrist. perhaps you got the cheapies (unknowingly) from overseas? What brand were the bearings? If they were silent for a year and are no making a noticeable noise, I'd say that you very likely did pack them correctly - and that they very likely are shot and need replacing. Recommend Timken or some other US mfgr. If you go to a basic auto store, you'll get Chinese if you don't ask for the upgrade. Ask the brand and if US made, and be prepared to pay a bit more. If you know for sure you put US bearings, then not sure what to tell you.

Did your ECE kit use the 73+ tapered bearings? Most upgrade kits use 73-87 spindles (and therefore bearings).

If you bought the ECE kit with later spindles and installed the 72-style spindle bearings, that could be the issue for early wear out (I'm not sure they would have fit at all if that was the case - but I do know the kits are labeled pretty clearly as to whether or not they use 71-72 style or 73-87 style bearings, so just wanted to mention.
I got the bearings from ECE. They came with my front disc conversion kit. If I'm going to replace the bearings, what are the best ones available to me locally (say at autozone or something)?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
tcrist

You will need to pull them and let the auto parts store cross reference the numbers. If they do not have numbers, then my guess is that you would need to order them thru where you bought the kit.

If there are numbers, you might be able to do an internet search and cross reference them yourself.

The odds are that they are Timken roller bearings. If not, you could cross reference them with Timken.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
69SWB4X4

Are you sure it`s not a tire? Might rotate them and see if it makes a difference.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SWB4X4 View Post
Are you sure it`s not a tire? Might rotate them and see if it makes a difference.
could be, but it sounds a little more mechanical to me. but good idea!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #18
dmw319

thread update: turns out the noise was from my driveshaft center support bearing. got it fixed and the noise is gone!