The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
gldevall

Weekend accomplishments

Well let's see what everybody accomplished this weekend. I installed my speedo.
Attached Images

-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
low 84

lookin good gary. how hard was it to install the small fuel gauge? as far as gettin it wired to read the correct level in the tank?

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Stingray42
Woot.

blew out the muffler some more on the beater ford....lmao backfires are awesome....
Old 02-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

went yesterday and picked up my '79 K10 parts truck. that turned out to be a nightmare. the guy i bought it from told me last week that he would have the leaf springs and 12 bolt in the back before we get there. we got there (3 hour drive) and the truck is still sitting on the ground, in knee deep snow. so after 2 1/2 hours of playing with it, we finally get it loaded. pulling out of the driveway the trailer slipped off the edge of the driveway, which was about a 45* slope and 30' down. luckily we got it free and made our way home. we started stripping it last night while waiting on some well deserved pizza and beer. got up this morning and went back over and finished stripping it, loaded it on the trailer, and brought it home. so now its sitting in the driveway because i'm too tired to move stuff around to move stuff around to get the 86 in the garage and the 79 inside the fence.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

saturday afternoon i pulled the trans & t-case in my 77 K25. I tell you what, there isnt another person in all of the west coast that can R&R a 700r4/np205 by himself, faster. this is the 3rd or 4th time in as many months. Hopefully the last time for a reallllllly long time.

harbor freight transmission jack has paid for itself a dozen times over since I bought it. Use it for the transmission, the transfer case (many times), dropping a suburban 35 gallon fuel tank, moving a wood burning stove into my brothers house, etc etc.. at around $40 you cant go wrong

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
gldevall

Quote:
Originally posted by low 84
lookin good gary. how hard was it to install the small fuel gauge? as far as gettin it wired to read the correct level in the tank?
Wasn't to hard. My stock gauge did not work, that's why I put the fuel gauge in. I ran new wires from the sending unit to the gauge. Hardest part was dropping the tank and getting to the sending unit. Now I just need the volt meter, temp and oil pressure gauges.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Blue Beard

Started moving into my new shop....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 PM   #8
TIMSPEED

Got a speeding ticket...74 in a 55...while driving to go street racing! Haha, at least he didn't follow me for any longer than he did, else ALL of us would have been busted.
Ahh well, at least I can go to traffic school for it and get it off my record...just can't get another ticket for 18 more months...Luckily also he was nice..because he was following me for a while, and I KNOW he got me on radar doing 93. He TOLD me he got me on radar doing 80, but he said he was only gonna write me up for 74. Nice guy
Old 02-09-2004, 02:46 AM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

BAD WEEKEND!!!!!

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Now that I have it out of my system I finally got my tranny line tubing saturday on a rainy day and couldn't do much. Then I decided I'd try and start Tootsie Roll from her 6 week slumber(she's been down since I had my sugery). Well you guessed it dead battery. Since that was a lost cause I decided to start working on my gauge install for the tach and speedo I have. I'm waiting to install all of them with the bezel at the same time but going ahead and mount them as I get them. Well my Wizard tool battery was dead and of course I don't have an extra one nor do I have a regular Dremel tool that plugs in. So I had to charge it up and got going on a bezel hole and battery went out again!! This was not my day for sure.

So I waited till today to try and jump it off with the wife's truck. No go. then I realized I had a low tire. Well I decided to take it off and go air itup. While I had it off I noticed two nails it in. One near the side wall but still well above. After taking both to Wal-Mart I was able to get the battery replaced free but the guys wouldn't touch the tire saying it was against their policy. Well I just loaded it back up and another tech walks up. I ask him if any other tire shop is open today. He asked why and I showed him and he said we can fix that "off the record". I agreed and gave him cash and about 10 minutes later I had my tire fixed with a good balance on it. He said the balance was bad on it. I get home and remount the tire and then get the battery installed. After some coaxing the engine finally woke up and even got my choke working again. Come to find out a linkage rod on the carb had come loose.

So now I'll be able to go see Riptide in person with Tootsie Roll tomorrow if all goes well

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
Grim Reaper

Actaully made some. Tried getting this miss out of my 75. Metered out the pick up and coil and they seemed fine. Threw a new Module in it but still there. Did find the vac advance wasn't working but that;s the least of my problems. Looks like the distributor is shot OR my timming chain is loose. The distributor has a knock going on from the shaft bouncing up and down. I have a ESC distributor and the shaft paly really doesn't seem any worse then that one. I Need to check the chain next.

Ticks me off is I'm getting ready to convert that trucfk to TBI so I really don't want to buy a reman distributor if that's what I find it is.

So after getting discoraged on that I went to close the hood and folded it LOL. I have had a hood I got from a buddy leaning against the back of the garage for 2-3 years so I decided it was time to prep it. I took the braces that had stripped out al lthe screws off the folded hood and welded them on the new hood. This hood is rough but so is the truck LOL Atleast it's not folded.

So ratle caned it after sanding off the surface rust. It's satin black now. trying to decide if I should just paint the outhside edge and make it look like a P51 Mustang with the black cowel. Other4 thought is to do the flames with a twist that I have been tlaking about for years. Truck is painted Desert sand. Though about doing the flames in a Olive Drab to flat black fade.

Talked to my bud Satuday. Been dreading this and putting it off Looks like the 21st were are going to have a nice afternoon of drilling out broken Exhaust manifold studs on my 454 Sub. Have one broken flush to the head and of the other 4 I tried to loosen 3 I felt were on the edge of snapping so I quit trying. Taking it buy his work and throwing it on the lift to pull out the inner fenders to get a straight shot at it. Some how I think this is going to be an all nighter.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #11
odie82

changed fluid and replaced filter in tranny also replaced tranny pan with one that has a built in drain plug so it will be easier next time.

2003 suzuki gsxr 1000-hit 175mph!!!
yeah it's fast-no you can't ride it
odie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It was Sports weekend for me. I took my daughter to basketball practice Friday night, then a game on Saturday. What an awesome game too. Unfortunately they lost it, breaking their 7-0 streak....

Sunday was spent at Church, then to lunch with the Pastor. Later I took my daughter to volleyball practice. It's good to know one of us has a life...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #13
PHOENIX

Friday:
Received my shipment of exhaust parts from Summitracing, just need a few more things and I can start digging into it.

Sat:
Received a shipment of tools and stuff I ordered from Harbor Freight online. So I played with some of those.

Sun:
Moved the water heater (in garage) about three feet back so I have more room for the truck. Much easier to get around and work on it now. I had to run some new copper lines to get it where I want it. Now I just need to build some new shelves and the garage will be much more organized and easier to work in.
This will make it easier to work on the exhaust when it comes time.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #14
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally posted by mike reeh
harbor freight transmission jack has paid for itself a dozen times over since I bought it...at around $40 you cant go wrong
I have that same transmission jack. As far as I'm concerned, it paid for itself in one use. No more wondering if the transmission is balanced well enough on the little pad on the floor jack.

I washed the truck Sunday. It was cloudy, but not supposed to rain. Of course it started raining on the way home from the car wash...

Slonaker
Old 02-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #15
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

i pulled the engine out of my 74 and disassembled it to a short block.everything was going well until the heads came off.5 pistons are bad and there is a scratch in one of the cylinder walls.so that means rebuild time.going to add a new cam just for good measure.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:58 PM   #16
84Stepside

Let's see, I disasembled my gage cluster, out in new lights, chrome painted for better illumination,repainted the dash cluster itself,dropped oil pan, new gasket, new rear main seal, new transmission pan, and last put on new rear differential cover.
Thats about it
T
Old 02-10-2004, 12:19 AM   #17
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Nothing done to the truck this weekend. I ordered a chrome Powermaster 140amp alternator and Painless alternator rewire kit from Summit Racing though.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #18
apstguy
LED King

Washed it, vaccumed it out, cleaned the windows, did a little engine compartment detailing, and added Lucas' Tranny fix (it shifts SOOO much smoother now. Still shudders though). I also washed the doggie. (An oatmeal bath - she has itchy dry winter skin!)

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote