The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
nicks diner

NOS help

Only 100 shot wet kit on my 406, works great till bottle gets past 1200lbs. Nothing works only electric bottle opener and arm light comes on, no purge no spray. Any thoughts?
nicks diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
71Dragtruck

Re: NOS help

That's way too much pressure for the solenoids to open, system won't work at that pressure, you should only be running 900-950psi, it's also hard on the noid seats to put pressure like that on them.

Also a tip, after you close the bottle always purge the line when it's going to sit, the heat will take the line pressure back up there and chance of seat damage that way also, plus again purge noid won't open to bleed it, will have to crack a line.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs

Last edited by 71Dragtruck; 05-09-2015 at 04:15 PM.
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Yeah,, doesn't the blow disk pop off at 1500psi?

The noids work kinda backwards from what you would think,, the pressure pushes the valve DOWN against the seat, and the solenoid PULLS it away from the seat. If PSI is super high,, and grounds are poor (as they usually are) it can't pull it away from the seat. against 1500PSI of pressure forcing it the other way.

Also,, doesn't N2o go critical (gas only cant hold a liquid state) at like 98-105° (making pressure soar? Point being you need LIQUID in the line not gas. Even at 1500psi gaseous N2o don't work well.

I think everyone has seen the internet piece on the moron that hard wires a heater blanket and blew his garage open. Nitrous can make BIG power and BIG messes. Be sure to respect it's properties in all forms.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Rannos

My NX kit works best between 975 and 1050. Another thing to consider is the more pressure you run the leaner it is. Higher pressure allows more No2 past the jets. Seeing as your not adjusting fuel pressure or fuel jet size to compensate for this it runs lean. It can build a little more power this way but it can just as easily run to lean and get parts. Just something to think about.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
nicks diner

Yeah you guys were on the money too much pressure. my truck is stored in my garage and bottle temp is around 900 degrees when I leave the garage but two hours in the Orlando Sun in my bed covered with a tonneau cover makes for a good oven. so this is what I'm considering I hear good things and only draws 3 to 5 amps
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

nicks diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Super73

Keep in mind n20 goes from a liquid to gas. When in gas form, it is not as dense and makes less power. That transition is temp based and somewhere in the mid/low 90's. Contrary to what most begining n20 users believe, you get more n20 in the motor at 900-950 than yoy do at 1,050 on up.

My temp vs pressure mention above is not always true and changes based on how big odd a bottle and hoe full. Steve Johnson did a test of this reducing amount of n20 in the bottle to show how temp changes pressure. As it got empty, a higher temp was required to keep desired pressure.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49

Last edited by Super73; 05-20-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
71Dragtruck

I'll also add it will be more consistant with a 900-950 pressure, have a in cab gauge and watch it as you make a pass, at 1050 it will not hold it for the entire run, maybe one or two if lucky on a small shot but after that press will be way down, unless running like two bottles. Saying it runs better at higher pressure makes no sense at all, just put a bigger jet in and run 900 or 950, will be more consistant and get more equal runs out of it.

As far as your cooling system if you want to save money get a cooler with ice and water plus a bottle blanket, when it is hot out I soak towels in the ice water, wring them out and wrap my bottle with one and put the blanket over it. When cold I run the heater and a bottle. Same in my trailer, have a 110v heater, and use towels when hot, but this year I'm setting up a new trailer with AC
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Just a little funny add here for you guys with bottle heaters. Back in the 90's when I ran a N2o 350 I would keep one bottle in an ice chest with ice,, and switch bottles between rounds. Sitting in the staging lanes here in Az when it was 115° air temp, (and a slow track cleanup) with sun shining on the exposed bottle in the open bed of the truck,,, I blew a burst disk and emptied a bottle in the staging lanes. I bought a blow-down tube and 'was' going to put the bottle in the cabin,, but just never got comfortable (or consistent ) with it. I just never could get a handle on running nitrous. Some places (like this stinking Az desert) just isn't real friendly to N2o. When ambient air temp at 10pm at night is 8° over the critical point for N2o it's a WHOLE DIFFERENT ball game than trying to BUILD pressure. LOL

If you really want to do it 'right'... You have a bottle(s) CHILLED for nice cold dense liquid N20,,, and pressurize the bottle with a Co2 bottle and regulator. Kinda hard to follow here but you can see the setup Derrol uses in this pic.. Then tuning is WAY simplified when pressure is dead consistent pass after pass after pass.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 05-21-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote