The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Mobilehomie

Tilt Column with Auto = Failsause

After more than thirty years the column in my son's '81 GMC K-1500 has gone south for the winter. I had a new key switch put in a few years ago, at that time the guy tightened up the tilt mechanism. Anyhow, in the past few months when the key is turned from the off/lock position the shifter will drop into gear unless you hold it up. More recently the thing quit starting with the key. I have taken the column apart just past the switch and removed a large plastic piece that houses the tilt lever and 4-way switch. I even managed to disengage the starter switch rod from the upper end. Kind of at a loss what direction to go from here, I was toying with the idea of a floor shifter, but the transfer case shifter is in the way. What is a good source for a NEW column and how tough is the replacement from here?
Mobilehomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Tilt Column with Auto = Failsause

You should be able to find a good used column in the salvage yards or craigslist. You need a 79-83 column for direct bolt in. You can use a 73-78 but you will need to change the intermediate shaft from the base of the column to the gearbox. If you want to use a 84-87/91 column it will work also you just dont have to use the column mounted dimmer switch and wiper switch.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
gramps77

Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the answer.
I had been wondering which column would swap into my 77 so I can get tilt.
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
Mobilehomie

I'm not much into second hand parts, they are just as old as what has failed. Besides, I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest salvage yard is two hours away. Checked craislist and there was one in Reno, no response...
I would like to find a new or rebuilt column in the $300 range, any help would be appreciated.
Mobilehomie is offline   Reply With Quote