The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: tired, tired, tired of gas leaking when refueling

With certain modern nozzles, the pre-'79 beds tend to leak. It is just a fact of life that we have to live with. Mine leaks damn near every time I use it, but every now and then I will chance upon a station that has a filler nozzle that slips right in. The only time the early beds won't leak is if the nozzle completely gets into the fill tube to the hilt, or you trickle fuel down slowly with nozzles that don't fit in right.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #27
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
With certain modern nozzles, the pre-'79 beds tend to leak. It is just a fact of life that we have to live with. Mine leaks damn near every time I use it, but every now and then I will chance upon a station that has a filler nozzle that slips right in. The only time the early beds won't leak is if the nozzle completely gets into the fill tube to the hilt, or you trickle fuel down slowly with nozzles that don't fit in right.
I'm thinking it could be a difference of model trucks too since I don't see this issue with my 79.

Mine is a factory 1 ton with a 454. The fill necks are still the large "leaded" style openings. Not the tiny unleaded holes found in cars and trucks starting in the mid 70's. Since my truck never came with catalitic converters, it was rated for use with leaded fuels as well (even though they were decreasing lead at that time) so the larger leaded pump nozzles fit in my filler necks. If you were around back then, you may remember the bigger pump nozzles with leaded fuel.

This could contribute to why I never have an issue with my truck or any of my classic cars (they are all leaded style vehicles with larger filler openings).

Something to keep in mind. I believe the cutoff for trucks of this vintage (73 and up) was a GVW of 8500 lbs. or more, which eliminated converters and received larger fill necks. 1/2 tons will likely still have small fill necks. Another quick way to tell is the gas gauge. Mine doesn't say "unleaded fuel only" like other smaller capacity trucks do, it's just a plain gas gauge
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
gramps77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I'm thinking it could be a difference of model trucks too since I don't see this issue with my 79.

Mine is a factory 1 ton with a 454. The fill necks are still the large "leaded" style openings. Not the tiny unleaded holes found in cars and trucks starting in the mid 70's. Since my truck never came with catalitic converters, it was rated for use with leaded fuels as well (even though they were decreasing lead at that time) so the larger leaded pump nozzles fit in my filler necks. If you were around back then, you may remember the bigger pump nozzles with leaded fuel.

This could contribute to why I never have an issue with my truck or any of my classic cars (they are all leaded style vehicles with larger filler openings).

Something to keep in mind. I believe the cutoff for trucks of this vintage (73 and up) was a GVW of 8500 lbs. or more, which eliminated converters and received larger fill necks. 1/2 tons will likely still have small fill necks. Another quick way to tell is the gas gauge. Mine doesn't say "unleaded fuel only" like other smaller capacity trucks do, it's just a plain gas gauge
Actually, I do have the large opening filler and was thinking it would be better to have the small one so the nozzle fit in there tighter and didnt have the gas splashing back as easily. There went that idea.
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

My '78 does it on both tanks too unless I baby the valve on the nozzle
Posted via Mobile Device

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

My '78 does it on both tanks too unless I baby the valve on the nozzle
Posted via Mobile Device

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps77 View Post
Actually, I do have the large opening filler and was thinking it would be better to have the small one so the nozzle fit in there tighter and didnt have the gas splashing back as easily. There went that idea.
It appears we have all kinds of good news for you
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
wow...never had a problem in Houston with my 76
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #33
philobeddoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy View Post
It's not those CARB nozzles... my '77 does the same thing here. It drives me nuts! No matter how slow I pump it drips down the fleetside.
I also have a 77 and I have to pump slow or it will back up and shut the pump off (like the tank is full). Sometimes it will spill too. Chevy should have placed the outlet higher up!! What's our solution??
Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #34
jdf915

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
I also have a 77 and I have to pump slow or it will back up and shut the pump off (like the tank is full). Sometimes it will spill too. Chevy should have placed the outlet higher up!! What's our solution??
Using a late model fill tube might work but that's just an idea, I'll have to see if it works on mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
jdf915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
gramps77

I swapped mine over to the newer filler design. I had the pockets welded in and just set the filler in, click it to stay filling, and wait for the click. No spilling
I used a piece of step down exhaust tubing to join the old filler and vent hoses to the new. Works GREAT !
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #36
bmchevy1979

The smaller ones on my 76 c10 and my 74 k5 both unleaded trucks my 76 would kick pump nozzle off if I don't hold nozzle just right and my 74 spills fuel if I give it over half trigger at most pumps. Both trucks nozzles need to be turned upside down.
81 GMC C3500 cab-chassis dually with utility bed 350sbc, Sm465, 14bolt with 4.10s nv4500 getting ready to go in
1979 Chevrolet K5 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434096
1976 Chevrolet C10 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434195
bmchevy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #37
tucsonjwt

Step 1 - make sure the vent hose is intact and not crimped off somewhere.
Step 2 - make sure that vapor recovery canister is not plugged or broken, along with the lines to/from the canister.
Step 3 - disconnect the vapor recovery line and plug in a one way valve on a short piece of fuel line tubing connected to the sending unit a (if vapor recovery system is a problem.)
Step 4 - adjust the angle of insertion on the gas pump nozzle - sometimes 180 degree inversion works.

Some gas stations around here have short, sharply curved nozzles with a wire wound around the outside of the nozzle. These are the worst for filling gas. A few gas stations around here still have the smooth, no wire and long slightly angled nozzles - those do not spit gas back at you.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote