The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #26
1project2many

Re: TF small back window glass install?

I think there's a lawyer involved in the warning. I once found a warning on a set of belts that said "Caution: Do not change belts while engine is running."

Suction cups aren't perfect but a suction cup applied to a smooth piece of flat glass has an extremely good chance of working as expected. Remember that it's all about the seal that's created between the rubber cup and the glass. As long as the seal keeps the atmosphere out, the suction cup holds. I use a little water mixed with dish detergent applied to the cup to enhance the seal. In a pinch I've used a bit of WD-40. I use them because they are water soluble and don't ruin paint. A light oil like a vegetable oil can work well also but you will lose the friction that prevents the cup from sliding around on the glass. That usually brings some "fun" surprises.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #27
MARTINSR

Re: TF small back window glass install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
My wife had to pick up a few things at Loew's so I asked her to get a couple of the suction cups. They couldn't find them in the store (website said 2 in stock) so she went to HF and bought 2 from them. I'm a little worried but the reviews would lead you to believe they will be OK.
The do have a warning sticker on them that says "Do not depend solely on the suction cup to hold an item; always use backup support. Under certain circumstances the suction cup may lose it's grip on the workpiece."
That's a little worrisome.
Heed that warning with your window, DO NOT rely on that little suction cup to hold the glass! You should see a real glass suction cup, it's a lot bigger.

I have a few of those HF cups and used them on my glass too, but only for "help" not for holding it completely. I put them on the inside to pull in while I was working the rubber in with my tools. All the while my wife and son were outside to be sure the glass didn't fall out onto the decklid and driveway.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote