The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
wphilli1

Windshield Washers for Task Force

Hey guys,

I've heard that some TF trucks came from the factory with windshield washers, but unfortunately mine isn't one of them and I can't find any information on the original set up. I daily drive my '58 so this would be great conveniences wise. If anyone has any info or pictures, that'd be awesome.

'58 Apache 3100 4-Eyed Work Truck
wphilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Apachekid58

Re: Windshield Washers for Task Force

Thanks for posting this, I was thinking on the way to school this morning that washers would be really nice to have. Hope someone knows the answer to this.
Apachekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
1project2many

Years ago I scrounged a set of washers from a '62 to put on my '55. They're easy to swap, but the challenge was to remove the old washers without damaging them. In those pre-internet, pre-repro days they were tough to find but these days you can buy reproductions for less than $10. There are two screws in the escutcheons around the wiper arm shafts. Remove the screws and screw in the nozzles. On the other side of the bezel there are two brass tubes which will connect to the washer hose. Originally the truck would have had a bag for fluid and a foot pump but the system works well with a modern pump/reservoir and a simple pushbutton to activate it.

I can post a scan of the original installation instructions for the 1958 version. It should be similar although most of the info will be related to hose routing and the pump and reservoir installation.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
OrrieG

I got repop squirters and used a rear window fluid box with pump. Not a lot of volume but nice square shape. Rigged up a momentary on pull switch to work with old manual throttle knob. A couple of years ago I sold an aftermarket 55-59 TRICO unit that had a bag that mounted in the engine compartment and manual push valve that mounted under the dash. It had the correct TF knob.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
_Ogre

every 58-59 i've ever owned has had the tube on back of the bezel if not the spray nozzle
obviously the trucks were set up for spraying the windshield

it would be easy enough to add the hose and a pump

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
1project2many

Another neat and clean solution by Orrie! Nice.

I forgot to mention in my first post that a '64 - '66 truck that came with washers would have had a push button in the center of the twist wiper knob. When you push the button it engages the washer (originally built into the wiper motor) and forces the knob to twist to the low speed setting. You can drill out the TF knob and install it on this switch for a clean install.

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
wphilli1

Wow,
Thanks everyone for the response, I had no idea those tubes were there in the wiper pedestals. I even have an extra washer motor laying around, so it should bebno problem to do now that I know.

'58 Apache 3100 4-Eyed Work Truck
wphilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
magicoolbus

What washer you use is dependent on your stock factor. The dealer installed washers are a bit hard to find and will fetch a premium. Here's a few pics of mine. Previous posters already mentioned the squirters, most repop places have those.

It is super simple to use, just push it with your foot and you have fluid on your window. Works like a charm.

There are lots of washer jars out on ebay and the like. Any will be fine. Some used vacuum from the combo fuel pumps others vacuum from the manifold. And others used a foot pump like mine. Either way make sure you get a 55-59 truck jar mount. There are lots of different ones for all makes and models.

Trico made a under dash mounted washer that might also work. I can rummage thru my horde for a pic if you want.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote