The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
pdawg

Gas Gauge Not Registering

I need some advice on an ongoing issue I'm having with my gas gauge. I have replaced my send unit - twice - and completely gone through a troubleshooting guide that I got off this forum, but still have a gauge that only ever registers a maximum of a quarter tank. Since I had a bad replacement I metered the send unit before I installed it & all was good. I have removed the send wire - gauge registers full. Grounded the wire at the tank - gauge goes empty. Metered the wire from tank to fuse box & from fuse box to gauge - all good, have 12V on other terminal of gauge. pulled out the instrument panel & checked the printed circuit board - cleaned all contacts, replaced burnt out bulbs. I don't know what I'm missing, but it has to be something as it still is not working. Help please !!
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Gas Gauge Not Registering

Pull the sending unit out of the tank and with the sending unit wire connected, and a jumper wire from the mounting flange to a good ground , move the arm up and down with the key on. Watch the gauge for travel from empty to full and back. If you get the full travel you may have a restriction in the tank keeping the float arm from moving through it's full travel. If you still only get 1/4 of a tank then you probably have a bad resistor on the back of the gauge.

Tom-TBone here on the forum has some and he does a fabulous job with the gauges and clusters. He may even see this thread and jump in.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
pdawg

Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try this weekend hopefully!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Malamute

Mine did the same thing after I replaced the sending unit. Gauge worked fine before. I suspect it's the float but I'm not sure how to fix it without putting in another sending unit which will likely have the same problem.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions as I suspect yours is the same problem.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
gordyzx9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
I need some advice on an ongoing issue I'm having with my gas gauge. I have replaced my send unit - twice - and completely gone through a troubleshooting guide that I got off this forum, but still have a gauge that only ever registers a maximum of a quarter tank. Since I had a bad replacement I metered the send unit before I installed it & all was good. I have removed the send wire - gauge registers full. Grounded the wire at the tank - gauge goes empty. Metered the wire from tank to fuse box & from fuse box to gauge - all good, have 12V on other terminal of gauge. pulled out the instrument panel & checked the printed circuit board - cleaned all contacts, replaced burnt out bulbs. I don't know what I'm missing, but it has to be something as it still is not working. Help please !!
Can you point me to the troubleshooting guide. My gauge is in inop.

Thanks,

Gordy
Old 05-31-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
pdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzx9r View Post
Can you point me to the troubleshooting guide. My gauge is in inop.

Thanks,

Gordy
Sorry for the delay. Go to www.6066gmcguy.org & go to the information site -all the way to the bottom. There is a gauge troubleshooting guide. That's what you want. Good luck !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
sstone69

I had that with my 70 back in the 90's. I couldn't find a replacement so I just lived with it, never ran out of gas. That's what was great about having the tank in the cab, you can hear how much gasoline is in the tank.