The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Hblee

A new guy...

...just getting started on my 57 3100. This is my second TF truck, my first was a 56 that was my daily driver and took me to OK for college in the late 70s and was extremely reliable. I have known the 57 that I have now my whole life. My grandma's neighbor in the Panhandle bought it new. My dad said he remembers him bringing it home. It was always garaged. The old guy putted around in it for almost 30 years until he passed. His idiot grandson then got it and put a Ray Charles paint job on it and swapped in a Muncie M20 and drove it for a while. My uncle bought it after that and used it for his landscape business until 1996.

My brother bought it from my uncle and drove it to the Houston area where we live and he and my dad started a restoration. This thing is so straight and rust free, the only rust at all is the lower portion of each front fender. They took it apart and blasted the frame and got about 20% of it done. My brother became ill and died about a year later and my dad lost interest in it. He told me a few years later that he was going to give it to me. It has sat in his garage untouched since 1998. Dad passed away a little over 4 months ago so now I have to get the truck out and get it somewhere it can be finished up.

I've decided against another restoration, I've done that with early Z/28 Camaros and a big block 67 Corvette and now I want something with big block power, a/c, low stance, etc. that I can get in and go somewhere. And I'm tired of having numbers matching this and that, correctly dated everything, etc. I have enough parts to build a 427 shortblock and I have a 12 bolt out of an A-body. I'm thinking a MII front end from TCI or others, 4 wheel discs, better seats, tilt, you guys get the picture. I can do most of it, except if I end up with 2 stage paint. I'm an old lacquer guy and I haven't messed with the newer stuff much.

Glad to be aboard. Sorry it was so long.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: A new guy...

Welcome from another old laquer guy. Try the BC/CC you will like it, quick dry times, very forgiving and imperfections can be quickly corrected. Works best with a newer gun set up for it. Looking forward to seeing the build.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Kim57

Welcome.
Looking forward to a build thread.
Kim
Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Welcome from Houston!
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Welcome Mr. Lee! Is HB for halfback? Hubert Buford? Ok, joking. I'll just call you Lee.

Sounds like you've got a great starting point AND the experience to do it right. There's a LOT of experience here with just the same mods as you described. Since you've been a Vette guy you might want to consider full Vette IFS and IRS. It's easily done with aftermarket brackets or you candle your own.

Last, we need "Before" pictures. Even if it's a basket case.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Hblee

H is for Horrible, or Honorable....it depends on the day.

I plan on some pics once I get it rolled out. It was covered up for a long time with junk piled on the back, 2 flat rears and no front wheels. I got the fronts back on and it's now sitting on all fours. I have to get the cab bolted back on before I can roll it out and take some pics. My dad had the cab sitting on wooden dollies so he could roll the frame in and out. I just ordered some new cab hardware yesterday.

I have thought about C4 or C5 suspension. I saw a couple of places that have the brackets. If I could find some cheap enough that is also an option. I could be arrested for impersonating a welder but I have a couple of friends that can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Welcome Mr. Lee! Is HB for halfback? Hubert Buford? Ok, joking. I'll just call you Lee.

Sounds like you've got a great starting point AND the experience to do it right. There's a LOT of experience here with just the same mods as you described. Since you've been a Vette guy you might want to consider full Vette IFS and IRS. It's easily done with aftermarket brackets or you candle your own.

Last, we need "Before" pictures. Even if it's a basket case.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblee View Post
?...I could be arrested for impersonating a welder but I have a couple of friends that can handle that.
Ha ha, now that's funny. I should have ALREADY been arrested for it!

Soon, my long awaited Mustang II IFS will go in after debating back and forth with myself about whether I should/could do it or have it done by others and I JUST (finally) decided to do it myself. I'm going to fit it, tack it, and have a structural welder from work come over and do the final welding so the little man sitting on my shoulder when I'm driving 60 mph won't torment me!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Daze57

Welcome aboard from sin city !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
1project2many

Hblee, welcome. You're going to find the new coatings to be easier to work with and they will hold a finish longer. I agree on the "before" pictures. Junk or not, I love seeing pictures of an old truck in its natural state.

I'm an old school guy and I love making a vehicle with solid axles handle surprisingly well but it's not for most folks. It seems fairly inexpensive to get C4 parts these days so that might be a nice way to go. I don't know if the available gear ratios are what I'd run for a vehicle that's aerodynamic like a brick, but the big block probably won't care one bit. I like the 12 bolt. Most pickups have such poor weight distribution that you'll oversteer even with IRS.

You can probably learn to weld. I know a legally blind guy that does a reasonable job. Well, once he gets set up correctly.

Quote:
Ha ha, now that's funny. I should have ALREADY been arrested for it!
Careful now. They're still watching, even if the law allowing it has expired.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
1958Warrior

Cheers from Mesquite,

[IMG][/IMG]
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Hblee

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I've been looking at some of the build threads. Blue57 is doing just about what I want to do except for LS power. I will probably do some of the same things that he did. I looked at C4 front and rear suspension, with all of the brackets and assorted other stuff I will need to get it might I could easily spend $3K, maybe more. I would want a Dana 44 rear which are a little more pricey. I think a TCI or similar MII and the 12 bolt will be the quicker and easier route and I could do that with a little help from a welder friend. I need to invest in a MIG machine and have my friend give me some tips and then practice on some old parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Hblee, welcome. You're going to find the new coatings to be easier to work with and they will hold a finish longer. I agree on the "before" pictures. Junk or not, I love seeing pictures of an old truck in its natural state.

I'm an old school guy and I love making a vehicle with solid axles handle surprisingly well but it's not for most folks. It seems fairly inexpensive to get C4 parts these days so that might be a nice way to go. I don't know if the available gear ratios are what I'd run for a vehicle that's aerodynamic like a brick, but the big block probably won't care one bit. I like the 12 bolt. Most pickups have such poor weight distribution that you'll oversteer even with IRS.

You can probably learn to weld. I know a legally blind guy that does a reasonable job. Well, once he gets set up correctly.

Careful now. They're still watching, even if the law allowing it has expired.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #12
Joe Pass

Cool project....I run Mustang front and a 12 bolt Camaro rear diff...discs all around....Its the most fun to drive.....
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Lokin4AReason

greeting(s) ...
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
Hblee

That's the track I'm on. I did read almost an entire build thread where the guy put in a 59 passenger car dash. It looked awesome. I think I'm gonna start looking for one. I also need to find out if I'm gonna need a different firewall for a big block. I know the steering shaft will be a lot different vs. a small block, I hope it's not a huge pita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
Cool project....I run Mustang front and a 12 bolt Camaro rear diff...discs all around....Its the most fun to drive.....