The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
72BCD

SBC to BBC

Hello, I know this topic has probably been discussed a million times for this type of thing, but I kept seeing different answers. 1972 K10 started with the original 350 SBC when I took ownership. Putting a 565 BBC in it now, based on a Dart block, so the motor mount holes in the block are still the same. What all do I have to do (mount wise) to successfully install the Big Block. Also, any tricks on relocating the Booster/Master Cylinder? Thanks, Justin.
72BCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: SBC to BBC

All of the K trucks stuffed the small block engine into the firewall. When you install a big block you run into issues with the cyl head hitting the firewall on the drivers side, same with the distributor if you have an HEI. Another is the x-member under the engine..........it does not have enough drop for the big block pan for clearance. Should not be an issue with the brake booster or MC with clearance. What I have done with all the big blocks I've installed in a 4x is to pull the engine forward into the 2wd position and use the 2wd shroud. Another is trimming the x-member and reinforcing with a piece of box tubing.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
72BCD

Ok, so, another option I've tossed around is either notching the crossmember or making a tubular one and putting the motor on a motor plate in the front. But, if I don't decide to do that, approximately how far up do I need to move the crossmember up to be in the 2wd position or are there already holes in the frame? Thanks, Justin.
72BCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
kwmech

Don't have an exact measurement, but from the front x-member by the steering box...... The top rivet,............if you measure from the center of the rivet back about 17-18'' to the center of the motor mounts that is the approximate. I can put up a measurement later on
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote