The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

Leak-o-rama-rama-ding-dong (and got new parts in!)

My truck has been having leakage problems lately.

I get it home, the truck leaks coolant. I get under the truck and discover that the moron PO put a tee fitting into one of the lower coolant passage plugs, with a rubber (?) hose conected to it, and needless to say it leaked really bad and was filled with that "stop leak" in a bottle garbage. Fixed that with a stopcock. Also had to weld the gas tank because something hit it and put a tiny hole in it.

Truck leaked less coolant

Notice that now truck isn't leaking from there, but is now leaking from the water neck on the intake. Pull water neck, put in new gasket, RTV, torque the bolts down.

Once again, truck leaks less Apparently the truck also didn't like how cold it was in this lousy state, and during the last cold spell, started right up. And smelled like gas. Fuel return line off the pump broke the rubber pipe holder and split the pipe. Fixed that. Now truck just leaks a LITTLE TINY BIT OF COOLANT GRRR

So while installing my new electric fan, I discover a pinhole leak in the rad under where the fan shroud should have gone. JB-weld it up good until I can afford an aluminum radiator.

Truck stops leaking! Well coolant anyways

Still leaks a little tiny bit of ATF, but I can live with that for now. Going to napa this week to pick up a gasket and filter set to fix it.

Along with fixing the pinhole leak last night I also installed a new electric fan I got off ebay, seleonoid for aforementioned fan, and reinstalled my dash with a new Sunpro 3.5" tach with shift light, fits like a charm.

Tonight I'm hoping to finish wiring up the selenoid and seal up the automatic with a new gasket and filter set from napa.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 AM   #2
botboy
Account Suspended

Finished wiring up selenoid, was going to start on the transmission but soon realized that I was short on Mobil1. Sigh.

Anybody got a good EASY way to get the transmission pan off a TH350? Seems like the pan is awfully close to the rear transmission crossmember. Already scraped about 10 lbs of ATF- and Oil-soaked dirt from the frame and crossmember and transmission in that vicinity, what a mess!
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Sounds like you are having fun!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

JB-weld, Steel Weld, and Fast Weld, basically the same things
will work great on sealing fuel leaks also. And should last a long time if done correctly. The Fast Weld/Steel Weld is what we use to temporarily seal fuel leaks on the aircraft here at the base. It usually last a pretty long time but does require a scraper and a hammer to remove, which we use a phenolic wood scraper so as not to damage the metal. Only until the aircraft has a maintenance down time, then is sealed permanently inside the fuel tank.
As far the Trans pan removal - I had to unbolt my crossmember (tranny) and then remove the rear bolts from the pan. I supported the tranny with a floor jack of course. PITA but such is life.

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
griesel72

I wish i had the time to find all the leaks in my trucks
2006 King Ranch
1980 Wife
griesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote