The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
72Thunder

700r4 Help

Hey all. Finally got my transmission in my truck. Everything is all good except we have no idea how to wire it. Looks like a plug coming out by the tailshaft and another a little ways up on the left side. Not concerned about lockup so I'm not sure what to do there. I would appreciate the help in getting some information on how to wire it because Google and other searches have not been in my favour. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

72Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
72Thunder

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Re: 700r4 Help

The first photo with the connector coming out horizontally is a speedo connection. I've never seen this on a 700r4, only a 4l60e. Does the trans have a tv cable on the passenger side? That is your main concern. The tv cable left has to be hooked up and adjusted correctly. I won't get into that now. You can search this site and the web in general for "700r4 tv cable install and adjustment". If it has one and you get that straightened out, I would assume you could swap the electronic speedo "bullet" as I call it for one with connector for a speedo cable.

The second photo of the connector coming out of the trans vertically is what you would use to connect the torque converter lockup. I would suggest using it as it will drop your cruise rpm a few hundred rpm. I forget which wires but just find a brake light switch from a late 80's gmail vehicle with dual connectors, one normally open new normally closed. Connect the one n.o. to the lights like stock and the n.c. to the torque converter wires and a toggle switch.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Bigdav160

It's definitely a 4L60 and not an "e". The electric vehicle speed sensor can be converted to a mechanical set of gears fairly easily.

As mentioned, the TV cable geometry needs to be correct as it controls the pressure in the trans.

Eventually you'll want the lockup working. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
72Thunder

Awesome! Thank you both for all the information! That should do the trick to get her all finished up! The TV cable is located on the passenger side and I have the Bowtie Overdrives cable and brackets so I think I'll be alright.
Should I be double checking the pressures? Or would I be safe to assume if it came out of a "later model" truck?
Do I absolutely need to have the lockup? I've heard horror stories of people "burning" up their converter and so forth. It's only a town truck and maybe the odd half hour drive to the lake.
Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
71 super

Check the pressures. The bow tie kit is good but follow all instructions and run the pressure test as the cam location will make a difference. Just finished a 200 4 r in my 67 and glad I checked the pressure if I had left it would still be working off trans number two
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote