The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Can my fender be salvaged or is scrap yard material?

My passenger out fender is pretty rusty at the front. In fact, part of it caved in yesterday during removal. I was hoping it could be welded up and fixed and then me hang onto it as a spare.

If that isn't possible, could it have a future as a "repair panel source?"

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #2
sduckworth13

Re: Can my fender be salvaged or is scrap yard material?

Scrap yard or wall art either will work . It really is gone on that top corner and not worth it to repair.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:59 AM   #3
sduckworth13

I have my own stash of wall art off a truck I'm working on. If the lower rear patch is good on your fender it would be a good idea to cut it off for a spare patch. Cut about a inch above the body line for good measure.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Rust can usually be fixed. Once it's crust it's too late. An OEM fender is certainly worth fixing rather than replacing with repro. But only to a point

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
sboris

Yeah that one is a little too far. Dont cave in though and get a repop. Find a decent original even if its not perfect. You will be waaaay ahead.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
hugger6933

It is way too far gone to replace. You may need to stop now while you still have a truck the more you tear down the worse it seems to be getting. When we first talked it was a rocker and cab corner sort of thing now it is looking like a few more panels than that. How much more have you found on your cab?
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
D-rock1981

Anything can be fixed. The question is it worth it to fix? Probably not with reproductions being made for pretty good prices and still good junkyard parts out there. I would replace it.
D-rock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
It is way too far gone to replace. You may need to stop now while you still have a truck the more you tear down the worse it seems to be getting. When we first talked it was a rocker and cab corner sort of thing now it is looking like a few more panels than that. How much more have you found on your cab?
I just hadn't told you about this fender since I expected to replace it myself. I have a NOS fender bought from HotRodTodd on the parts' forum that I'll have media blasted and painted this week (time permitting).

I am just replacing it now since I had to get to the bushings under the radiator core support and it's been rusted like this ever since the late 1980's. But yes, my truck is a "rust bucket" and I've decided to just get a new-to-me cab. My cab could probably be fixed but cost-wise, a new cab is probably going to be so much easier. I'll decide later.

I guess I can hang this up in my garage and use the lower rear portion if ever needed. Oddly enough, that section is nice.

And you thought you had rust issues!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
hugger6933

Greg, I know how you feel I have a members truck right now that started out as a roof patch that turned in to me changing the roof section and then he said while I'm at it to fix the floors and rockers that has turned into a frame off that is gonna be lots of time involved stuff. Just for a roof patch. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Greg, I know how you feel I have a members truck right now that started out as a roof patch that turned in to me changing the roof section and then he said while I'm at it to fix the floors and rockers that has turned into a frame off that is gonna be lots of time involved stuff. Just for a roof patch. Jim
I have a good idea what you mean. I renovated a ski condo once. A $300.00 sheetrock job in a closet turned into a hardcore repipe, rewire, and bathroom rehab. I'm not complaining, renters love the place and I learned a ton!

Now just so it won't rust anymore, could I spray it down on the front there with something like NAPA Rust Treatment while I let it hang up in the garage?

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 06-07-2015 at 04:44 PM.