The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
Longhornss

Updated my wipers recently

Hey everyone I recently purchased a 67 LWB small window truck and when I got it home I had tried out the wipers and the rest of the electrical system. And of course no wipers I took the system apart and found one of my transmission arms was rusted and would not rotate.
I investigated further and found the switch was also no good and you guessed it when I bench texted the motor...... No good.

This of course led me to upgrading my wipers.
What I actually used was not your standard replacements available for our trucks. I ordered up a detroit speed 67 camaro Kit and adapted it to work.

The only thing to do now is to make a seal for the shaft to the cowl.

What do you think?
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
cherokeejohn

Re: Updated my wipers recently

I like it! For the sealing,"it may sound a little cheesy", but I use cut pieces of an old inner tube, and some automotive weatherstrip adhesive when i have to seal a hole. In this case where the piece in the center moves, I would put some grease around the movement area, then cut 2 pieces of rubber from a tube(one for each side) and adhere them to each side of the area. In this particular case, the side where the motor case is will have to be put on before installation of the motor. The rubber pieces can be cut fairly small and only need a 1/4" of area to adhere too.. i use a fishing reel grease bottle for re-greasing
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Longhornss

Hey thanks for the idea on how to seal it up. I have a couple of ideas in mind on how to get the job done. Right now I am trying to take care of the rust problems in the cab and cowl area. I will get back to the wipers once the sheet metal is done.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
HUSTLESTUFF

What exactly did you do to adapt it? I would like to do the same as I have heard the Detroit Speed wiper motor is a nice one to use. Thanks, Mike
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF View Post
What exactly did you do to adapt it? I would like to do the same as I have heard the Detroit Speed wiper motor is a nice one to use. Thanks, Mike
Mike I had to make a new mounting plate.
I measured up the original wiper and found all the mounting locations and then did the same for the DSE plate. I then mashed them up and had a 1/4 aluminum plate cut (CNC Waterjet) that mounts the motor to the wiper boss.

I then used a drive shaft from another wiper motor. (standard can style from vette, A-body, g-body) I removed the shaft and machined it to fit our crank arm. I may have been able to use the shaft from my original motor I am not sure I returned it to car quest for a core on on another project.

The DSE "output" shaft is tapered with a male threaded end. I had to make an adapter from that end to the new shaft. A set screw maintains the location on the the DSE wiper and another locates the wiper crank arm/shaft. Once I have that location dialed in I will likely weld it to the adapter to ensure it does not rotate on me.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornss View Post
... had a 1/4 aluminum plate cut (CNC Waterjet) that mounts the motor to the wiper boss....
Would you be willing to share the .dxf file in case anybody wanted to get a plate made?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
burb71

Thats bad a$$, is it a 2 speed, intermittent or what?
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Longhornss

5 delay speeds and 2 full out speeds.

As I mentioned I still need to create a seal for the cowl hole.

I don't know that I would be willing to share my DXF. There is a possibility of having some plates cut.... and possibly putting some kits together if I can track down a couple more DSE kits or if anyone here has a 67 Camaro DSE kit.

DSE has since discontinued these wipers due to lack of being able to source the motor from a US manufacturer.

They are in the process of retooling for a new wiper motor. I will likely get hold of a new one when they are released and start again.

Yes the wiper motor is from a late model GM. It is the switch and wiring that are the problem. I have not been able to find a reasonable priced switch to do what the DSE switch does.