The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
disasterbus

Question Canada, Chevy’s, Craftec Covers and an Englishman abroad

Canada, Chevy’s, Craftec Covers and an Englishman abroad………….

In about a month I will be leaving the distinctly mediocre summer weather in England and heading off for a family holiday in Canada.
What I’d really like to do, and what I’m hoping you guys can give me some advice on, is that while I’m over I’d like to source some parts for my 1964 Chevy C-10.

The truck had a fairly recent frame off resto before it left Texas, which is where it spent most of it’s life, and doesn’t need much doing. But there are always things you want to do to improve it and put your own mark on it.
So I figured this trip was a great opportunity to stock up on a few of the parts that are harder to get in the UK.

The trip is going to involve a bit of touring around as I have done similar trips to the US - road trips along the PCH in California, along some of Route 66 through California, Arizona and Nevada, from NYC up to the coast to the Canadian border and around Florida. I get bored staying in one place too long and a road trip is a great way to see more of a country!
Anyway, the plan for this trip is Vancouver first, over to Vancouver Island, then Whistler, Kamloops, Banff and back to Vancouver.

I’ll be with my wife and 2 boys (21 and 16) so looking for some ideas please for:
a) things we really should see or do on that route (they are pretty easy going and love road trips, outdoor stuff like hiking, mountain biking etc)
b) things to keep me happy – any car shows in July?, great scrap yards full of Chevy trucks to explore and hunt out those hard to find parts, hot rod shops and suppliers of Chevy parts.

A few of the things I’m after for my truck:

I think these wheels are Rally wheels from LMC, somehow during being shipped over to England the hub caps went missing so I’d like some replacements

I’d also like to hunt down an original steering wheel for my truck, and stock up on service items like brake shoes, air filters, spark plugs etc (which you can get in England but they tend to be expensive).

One of the things I really want is a Craftec load bed cover – like this:

I’ve had one on order over here for about 4 months, it was supposed to be here this week but I got a message from the supplier saying they had just received the order from the US and their supplier over there had sent one for the wrong model, so it won’t fit my truck. Is there a dealer for these Craftec Truck Covers in Vancouver?

I know what you’re thinking – that won’t fit in your luggage!
You’re right, assembled it won’t but Craftec ship it in a box 60” long. The longest parts are the aluminium frame which comes in sections so my plan (actually a plan I stole from Rian and Martin on here) is to use a ski bag. I’ll find a builder’s merchants and buy a 60” piece of 4” diameter plastic pipe, wrap the aluminium sections in bubble wrap and put them in the pipe (so they won’t get bent) and bring the pipe back in a ski bag with my luggage. The cover and fittings can all get stashed in a suitcase.
I could order one from England direct from Craftec but shipping is $178 plus taxes, so I’d rather get one when I’m over and bring it back myself.
disasterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Canada, Chevy’s, Craftec Covers and an Englishman abroad

I'll wish you a great future vacation but from the other side of the country. Lived in Vancouver for 3 years. You'll find stuff in the lower mainland. Start looking on Kijiji.ca.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
cooperhw

Well if you make it to sunny Phoenix Arizona try and hook up with Tom K. (sells parts in the parts for sale forum) while you are in town. He has a small yard full of trucks he's parting out as well as new stuff he sells. If you need it he probably has a couple. He's a nice guy and affordable on pricing.
I may be biased cause he's only a couple miles down the street from me, JMO.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
padresag

I am in Sidney, b.c., outside Victoria on the bottom of Vancouver Is.. if you can forward the dates when you will be here I will find out what Is on
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
geezer#99

Events list for you!
http://www.autoeventlist.com/
Place for parts in Vancouver. Right next to Ikea.
http://www.kmscarparts.com/
Something to see north of Nanaimo.
http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/
While you're on the way to the west coast.
http://www.cathedralgrove.eu/text/01...al-Grove-1.htm
Tofino and Long Beach.
http://www.tourismtofino.com/
And whale watching north a bit. One of many.
http://www.adventurewhalewatching.com/
And down to Victoria.
http://www.ltgov.bc.ca/gov-house/vis...e/default.html
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Banff is nice but I really like Jasper, Alberta.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
Micmac

You are head to some beautiful country. If you get to Western North Carolina, SW Virginia, give me a PM, I know some places.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
Jurassic-1

You may want to look at Gaylords covers. I have one on my fleetside truck. They specialize in classic trucks. Feel free to get in touch when you get through Arizona. I would be happy to direct you to some good spots. You can PM me for contact info if you would like it. If you are still out here by August there is the Pamona swap meet in California.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #9
disasterbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disasterbus View Post
Canada, Chevy’s, Craftec Covers and an Englishman abroad………….

The trip is going to involve a bit of touring around as I have done similar trips to the US - road trips along the PCH in California, along some of Route 66 through California, Arizona and Nevada, from NYC up to the coast to the Canadian border and around Florida. I get bored staying in one place too long and a road trip is a great way to see more of a country!
Anyway, the plan for this trip is Vancouver first, over to Vancouver Island, then Whistler, Kamloops, Banff and back to Vancouver.
Thanks very much for the advice and suggestions.

Sorry, I don't think my original post was very clear - my trip next month is only to Canada.
The other road trips in the US - road trips along the PCH in California, along some of Route 66 through California, Arizona and Nevada, from NYC up to the coast to the Canadian border and around Florida are ones I've done in previous years (but will be doing those and others in the US again in the future).

Cheers, Kerry.
disasterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
SSpeed66

I'm 1 1/2 hours from Kamloops, in the heart of the wine & tree fruit area of BC, I have most body take off parts for a 64-66 & a steering wheel. Are you looking for the standard or deluxe wheel ?