The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
ybnaford

04' Silverado Died.

It finally happened. We were coming home on Friday night after dinner. Made a right turn 5 miles from home then all of a sudden the truck started running rough, no power, and rpm's were dropping. Pulled to the side of the road and that was it. The motor was not running and would not start. Would crank but not run. No Check Engine light, No Fuel gauge issues, Nothing, just quit running. Got a ride home and towed Red back to the house. Immediately started checking possible things.

1) Pulled the fuel line from the rails and checked to make sure fuel pump was working. Yes. Fuel pumping when ignition was turned on.
2) Cleaned MASS air sensor
3) Pulled Intake tube to Throttle Body to see if any fuel in the intake. None.
4) Pulled Fuse Box cover and checked all fuses. all Good.
5) Pulled #1 spark plug and checked for Fire. Turned on ignition to start.
No Spark! Ah Hah.

Place to start. What ties in fuel and spark plug firing. Ran inside and jumped on the ole IPad. The one item, if you do not have a Code Checker/Reader, that ties all these times together is the, " Dunt Dunt Duh" Dramatic music plays in the background.

Is the "Crankshaft Position Sensor."

My truck is 10 years old, 4x4 Ext cab, auto, 5.3 with 167,000 miles. So I guess it was about time. To get to this sensor you have to:

Be sure to disconnect the Battery!

1) Remove starter bolts and remove/set aside the starter and right behind the starter is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Disconnect the wire connector and remove one bolt then, pop it out.

Napa part number which is a Delphi part OEM DEM SS10206 $79.99
There were 2 other items but I went with the Delphi part.

Since I removed the starter and on occasion the starter would stick while starting, I went ahead and replaced my starter.

Napa part number which is a New Starter part NNE 4N-5148 $189.00 no core.

Installed the new sensor and installed the new starter in about 15 minutes. Jumped in the cab, turned on the ignition and Vroooom. Ole Red was running with no issues. Truck fired right up. Pretty cool. Good ole shade tree mechanicing.

Hopefully everyone finds this helpful if you ever get stranded. All in all, total time would have been around 30-45 minutes to remove and reinstall parts if they were on hand and parts store close by.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: 04' Silverado Died.

My only thought when reading was Crank sensor. glad you got it back going. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
Bladeboy1998

Re: 04' Silverado Died.

My crank sensor is bad in my truck but did not do anything like this. I don't know! Lol hope you solve the problem
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote