The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
samples45

Help with brake booster

Hey guys. I'm wanting to put the brakes under the cab, do yall think I have enough room in front of the teans crossmember? And help would be great!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  45.6 KB
samples45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Cautrell05

Re: Help with brake booster

I was just looking this same thing. Curious to see if it will foot.

Nick
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Coupeguy2001

If you run a hydroboost behind your pedal, it fits with lots of room. Just run your exhaust down the right hand side, and have the left pipe come out back on the left side of the truck.
You can't tell on my truck that the pipes are moved and I have great brakes.
A hydroboost lets your power steering pump run your brakes.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
If you run a hydroboost behind your pedal, it fits with lots of room. Just run your exhaust down the right hand side, and have the left pipe come out back on the left side of the truck.
You can't tell on my truck that the pipes are moved and I have great brakes.
A hydroboost lets your power steering pump run your brakes.

well im running rack and pinion so i dont really have a power steering pump.. I see where guys run the brake booster under the cab but not sure where they put it..
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautrell05 View Post
I was just looking this same thing. Curious to see if it will foot.

Nick
Not sure nick.. It seems like in the pictures i have found they have a different crossmemeber
Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Cautrell05

You are running the stock frame rails aren't you? Just noticed that in the pics.
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautrell05 View Post
You are running the stock frame rails aren't you? Just noticed that in the pics.
yes i am, I just boxed the frame in to that point untill i figure out the brakes.. I saw a picture on here where a guy boxed in his whole frame and than cut a spot back out because of the booster.. just cant find it anymore..
Old 06-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Hydroboost will be a smaller unit than a vacuum booster..they do make small boosters but if you are running a big cam your vacuum will not be a good as with a stock cam. My vote would be hydrboost,, add the power steering pump ..and while your at it add a power rack.

Last edited by mongocanfly; 06-10-2015 at 12:05 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #9
Coupeguy2001

What I did was used a hacksaw and cut the master cylinder in half, removing the bottom of the stock cast iron master so that all it is , is a pedal bracket.
I made a master cylinder bracket by using 1/4" plate 11" X 5, and bent it 90*.
drilled a 2" hole and four 3/8 holes, mounted the hydroboost to it, added a 1"X 1/4" bar stock 13" long, bent the ends for my bracket brace, bolted to the inside of me frame rail.
Then I used a dual master out of a 96 Silverado diesel Dually bolted to it, rotating it 90 degrees.
I made a rod to go between the pedal and the hydroboost.
hooked up the pressure reducer to the rear, and voila! power brakes.
It takes about a weekend to bend up the lines for the hydraulic portion and clamp everything down.
plate betweem master and booster replaced with a 1/4" plate.

heres how the firewall looks

old master with the bottom cut off and cleaned up on a grinder and painted black

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 06-10-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
_Ogre

Quote:
What I did was used a hacksaw and cut the master cylinder in half, removing the bottom of the stock cast iron master so that all it is , is a pedal bracket.
if you use coupeguy2001's method you can use a longer shaft and put the booster behind your trans mount
i think orrieg did the long shaft method too

this is my 03 mustang hydroboost next to a 700r4, i also went with a remote reservoir

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
OrrieG

Here is a picture of my installation. I made my brackets and moved the MC and booster back so I could access the top behind the cab support. I made my own rod between the pedal and MC. You can see I had the transfer case and exhaust to deal with and had plenty of room. Note I cut my booster brackets to match the 7" booster, some aftermarket kits stick out much more. Stock pedal is in the stock location; I made the bracket to mount to the stock MC bolt location and used the stock pin. I do not anticipate any issues with the exhaust and MC but thinking about it will get some header wrap just in case...
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #12
yoshi

On my 49 the trans cross member is welded in place & I wasn't able to fit the booster where it normally fits so I placed it further back. My brakes were lousy, they felt spongy & the pedal travelled a long way. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong, I'd copied the 3/8"unf rod, I just made it longer. What was happening was the rod was flexing due to the extra length. I'm now using stainless hex bar turned down each end with a 3/8" thread. Brakes are really good now
Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
samples45

Thanks guys! At first i said i wasnt running a power steering pump.. i dont know why i said that lol i do have a power rack, guess i wasnt thinking right. I guess they only way to find out if i can put it in front of the trans crossmember is to order one and test fit it.. my thoughts were it would be to long and stick to far foward like past the cab or something
Old 06-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Sample..just a few quick measurements of my hydraboost are 15" oal from firewall,, 7" wide,, and about 7" tall ,, this is including the master cylinder.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #15
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Sample..just a few quick measurements of my hydraboost are 15" oal from firewall,, 7" wide,, and about 7" tall ,, this is including the master cylinder.
Okay thanks man!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #16
Coupeguy2001

I used the old voltage regulator holes to mount the plate for brake fluid reservoir. added longer bolts and used spacers to push the plate away from the firewall so I could use a polished stainless steel muffler clamp to hold the reservoir to the plate and have room for the clamp ends and nuts.

The reservoir is one of those cheap Chinese engine oil breather overflow cannisters turned upside down.
I drilled a vent hole in the drain plug since it is on top.
I used a 5/64" drill.
I ended up removing the sight gage tubing since the brake fluid was attacking the plastic hose.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #17
MyDream55

Quote:
Originally Posted by samples45 View Post
Hey guys. I'm wanting to put the brakes under the cab, do yall think I have enough room in front of the teans crossmember? And help would be great!

Attachment 1413743
Samples,

I have the exact setup you are asking about. I did my booster and master install before I swapped a motor and put in my new trans xmember. The booster fit perfect in the place of old master. However, when I went to put new trans xmember in, booster was in the way. I flipped my xmember and welded strut under frame and bolted xmember thru strut and to frame. Fit perfect.. so with how u have xmember bolted now, I can almost guarantee it will be in the way. Either move booster back, as mentioned, or flip xmember. I can send you pics if you need them. Also, if you have duals coming off headers along inside of frame, they will have to be moved to outside.. just an fyi..

P.S. under cab booster and master is a pain in the ass to fill if you dont make a new hole in floor to get to or buy a fill kit that goes in engine bay..
MyDream55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #18
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDream55 View Post
Samples,

I have the exact setup you are asking about. I did my booster and master install before I swapped a motor and put in my new trans xmember. The booster fit perfect in the place of old master. However, when I went to put new trans xmember in, booster was in the way. I flipped my xmember and welded strut under frame and bolted xmember thru strut and to frame. Fit perfect.. so with how u have xmember bolted now, I can almost guarantee it will be in the way. Either move booster back, as mentioned, or flip xmember. I can send you pics if you need them. Also, if you have duals coming off headers along inside of frame, they will have to be moved to outside.. just an fyi..

P.S. under cab booster and master is a pain in the ass to fill if you dont make a new hole in floor to get to or buy a fill kit that goes in engine bay..
Hey man thanks! yeah send me some pics please! I wanna see how you did your duals as well.. i was hoping i could run the exhaust pipe between trans and booster.. thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Advanced Design

Quote:
yes i am, I just boxed the frame in to that point untill i figure out the brakes.. I saw a picture on here where a guy boxed in his whole frame and than cut a spot back out because of the booster.. just cant find it anymore..
Samples, I believe this may be it.....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=654899&page=5
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #20
MyDream55

Quote:
Hey man thanks! yeah send me some pics please! I wanna see how you did your duals as well.. i was hoping i could run the exhaust pipe between trans and booster.. thanks in advance!
Samples,

Not sure if this is what you were asking for exactly but here's my setup. I took pictures tonight in garage so sorry if pics aren't clear. Let me know if you need other pics.

MyDream55 is offline   Reply With Quote