The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #51
gmcnoob

Re: The Oil Gusher

Another angle.
Attached Images

gmcnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #52
enaberif

Goopy crap looks like rtv. Being that it looks like your block is a 2 piece main I would suggest dropping the pan and replacing the 2 piece and the pan gasket.

The only amount of rtv you'll need to use is in this picture..
http://4x4mecca.com/wp-content/uploa...F2942-copy.jpg
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #53
gmcnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Goopy crap looks like rtv. Being that it looks like your block is a 2 piece main I would suggest dropping the pan and replacing the 2 piece and the pan gasket.

The only amount of rtv you'll need to use is in this picture..
http://4x4mecca.com/wp-content/uploa...F2942-copy.jpg
Can this be done without special tools and from under the truck? It's all I have.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #54
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnoob View Post
Can this be done without special tools and from under the truck? It's all I have.
You'll need a torque wrench but other than that its all hand tools.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #55
Bigstevex4

Doesn't look like its leaking to me. When a rear main is leaking it runs on to flex plate and is slung out. he,s just got a leak on top. That's running down back by filter loos like.
Jesus Guys got a leak on top probably take 15 min fix you got him pulling the tranny???
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #56
rich weyand

First thing to do is seal things up on top, then see what you got.

See this post in an adjacent thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...94&postcount=6

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #57
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Yes, I just did it on my '74, see the page here, just skip to the bottom

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...645440&page=26
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #58
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 View Post
Doesn't look like its leaking to me. When a rear main is leaking it runs on to flex plate and is slung out. he,s just got a leak on top. That's running down back by filter loos like.
Jesus Guys got a leak on top probably take 15 min fix you got him pulling the tranny???
Pull the tranny for what? His block is a pre 86 block and the rear main seal can be done by simply taking off the pan :P I just did this myself.

And regardless on a engine that old without knowing its history doing the rear main is cheap insurance.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #59
Bigstevex4

Quote:
Pull the tranny for what? His block is a pre 86 block and the rear main seal can be done by simply taking off the pan :P I just did this myself.

And regardless on a engine that old without knowing its history doing the rear main is cheap insurance.
Sorry I didn't pay any attention to that part because it has nothing to do with his problem. Problems sealing valve covers has been discussed. Pulling the pan in the truck ok evidently i have totally missed what his problem is so ime going to relinquish it to you guys. Have a good day
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #60
gmcnoob

Quote:

Thanks for all of your answers guys. I finally decided to dive in and see if I could find the rear main seal. I have never done anything this major before so go easy on me. If you don't mind please let me know if I am going in the right direction.

I removed the oil pan and took some pictures. A few questions....

Is the first picture the rear main seal and is there another half of this that I need to push through?

On the front side of the oil pan there was a seal that is larger, picture 2. It was in bad shape as you can see in picture 3. Sorry for my ignorance but what is the larger seal called?

I think I am headed in the right direction but one thing that I am unsure of is this.... See picture 4 which is the new oil pan gasket that I got. Does this take the place of the black seals or do I install this in addition to new seals. The oil pan gasket that I removed was cork and in very bad shape. It did not have the half circles on each end like the new gasket. I'm a little confused on this part and don't want to continue until I am sure.

Thanks for any advise to help me fix the gusher.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #61
enaberif

Most people who install the oil pan don't get educated on the 1 piece pan gaskets which are a god send so they use the gasket kits which comes with gaskets you see.

The 1 piece pan gasket will seal everything up you need but make sure you get the proper one as there is 2 varities depending on the pan style.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #62
gmcnoob

Quote:
Most people who install the oil pan don't get educated on the 1 piece pan gaskets which are a god send so they use the gasket kits which comes with gaskets you see.

The 1 piece pan gasket will seal everything up you need but make sure you get the proper one as there is 2 varities depending on the pan style.
As I learned the hard way... After purchasing the 1 piece oil pan gasket that was supposedly an exact fit for my truck I quickly realized that one end was too large. Can someone possibly provide a part number for the one piece oil pan gasket that is smaller on the side toward the rear? The auto parts store guys seemed to know less than I do about this.

I can't stress enough that I am a beginner at this and ofter do not notice what is obvious to you guys. So the black seals that I removed are just part of a multiple piece oil pan gasket set correct? In order to get to the rear main seal I have to remove the oil pump and main bearing cap? Can you confirm this?

I'm an idiot. I thought I was looking at half of the rear main seal in the above picture..
Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #63
chewiebarker

sbc rear main seal replacement - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWNPkZvv3Fg

MY 'BUILD' THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618915
chewiebarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #64
enaberif

Quote:
As I learned the hard way... After purchasing the 1 piece oil pan gasket that was supposedly an exact fit for my truck I quickly realized that one end was too large. Can someone possibly provide a part number for the one piece oil pan gasket that is smaller on the side toward the rear? The auto parts store guys seemed to know less than I do about this.

I can't stress enough that I am a beginner at this and ofter do not notice what is obvious to you guys. So the black seals that I removed are just part of a multiple piece oil pan gasket set correct? In order to get to the rear main seal I have to remove the oil pump and main bearing cap? Can you confirm this?

I'm an idiot. I thought I was looking at half of the rear main seal in the above picture..
Old 06-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #65
gmcnoob

I appreciate that information. I will definitely get the correct one next time. Although I might have a small leak up top I'm almost positive my gusher is coming from the rear main seal. I am proud to say that I got it out with no issues today and here is the picture. I'm no expert but this thing looks to be in bad shape. None of this damage happened while I was removing it. Do you think this might have been my problem?
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #66
gmcnoob

Now I completely understand why someone said drain oil, wait three weeks and then do this job.

The deteriorated one had part number W-3958001. Should I replace it with that exact one or does anyone suggest something better?