The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #1
Dustint

Triangulated 4 link

So the while I'm at it bug has bitten me pretty hard, my '48 on a s10 chassis has a slough of parts waiting for it, pretty quick I'm going to have to do some work..Going to swap in an ls1, 4l60e combo from a 98 z28 camaro, and already have a currie 9'' rear, planning on a mild cam and fairly mild overall build for the ls1, but starting to think about a triangulated 4 link. (will be moving fuel source in the ls1 swap, and would like to eliminate panhard bar) mainly wanting to eliminate any axle wrap, improve traction and ride quality with the option to bag at some point. Definitely staying static with coil overs for now though.

I've never done a 4 link, so would prefer to go with a weld in kit route rather than fabbing my own, but having a hard time nailing a good one down for the s10 chassis. I realize there are universal ones as well, but again just hoping to simplify things some if possible since I have not done one before.

Certainly won't turn any advice away, and if anyone thinks it's overkill to do 4 link I'd be more than open to the real pros/cons opinions on things also.
Dustint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Dustint

Re: Triangulated 4 link

Anyone have any input on a good kit? I'm sure that a universal one will work, but also sure that all aren't created equally. Really looking to get something that is weld in, don't really like the bolt in route, and don't have enough tools available to fab my own. Also forgot to mention that I'm not real sure on best coil overs and spring rates I would want on them, only thing I've found is s10 related at around 200-250 pounds.

Last edited by Dustint; 06-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
tmoble

did you look at this stuff?

https://www.welderseries.com/blog/on...ar-suspension/

weld on, not bolt on. good stuff and cheaper than many other options. Look at the big bushing options.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
iowaboynca

Also since he's in canada, you get a 15-20% discount on his prices due to the current exchange rate, depending how your credit card works.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
Dustint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
did you look at this stuff?

https://www.welderseries.com/blog/on...ar-suspension/

weld on, not bolt on. good stuff and cheaper than many other options. Look at the big bushing options.
I did see that one, it does seem pretty reasonable. I'm wondering if there is much advantage to going to a crossmember with the upper links or to the frame, guessing it mostly depends on the geometry needed to make everything work if there is room to mount to the axle tubes.
I'm also wondering with that kit if there is any selection for axle tube size for the tabs, haven't seen one yet.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
66Slabside

I'm just browsing through this forum trying to decide which year Chevy I want to get for my next project so I'm not the expert on these trucks. That said I just bagged my '66 Lincoln for which there are no kits for under $5000 so I did my own. Got the 4 link from Thor Brothers (used to be Suicide Doors) and they specialize in bagging S-10's. I got the heavy duty universal kit and it is beefy and quality is superb.

Tired to link their page here but the site won't let me, I must be too new or it won't allow non-sponsering vender names? But just google them and you'll find them.

They have options for 2.75-4 inch axles
I'm not sure about mounting the coil-overs as they mostly do bagged trucks but if you call them they have great customer service and can probablly help you. I was missing two bag plates from my order and they sent me the part and had it at my door 2 days later. While they did make a mistake (everyone does) they took care of it so fast it didn't even matter because I hadn't even barely started and the parts were there.

Good luck with your build.
66Slabside is offline   Reply With Quote