The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
MjrBummer

2 speed rear diaphram needed

Well, I took the Skewlie to Viroqua, WI. for the holiday weekend. One of the first things I did was get her stuck. D'OH! I had to wait until the next day for a 4-wheel drive tractor to give me a tug out. 2 truck hooked up at once couldn't budge it. Had to do a little re-sodding afterwords too. My bad! If it wasn't for the extra platform for the LP tank and generator, I probably would've made it. Nobody would pull me out until they got all their pictures in either. How embarrassing! We all had a good chuckle over it though.

It ran good on the way there after my carb rebuild last Wednesday. A bit more power and better mileage. But on the way home, I started losing vacuum and the two speed rear wouldn't shift into high. After some rolling around under it in a grocery store parking lot in Westby for a while, I finally traced the leak down to the diaphragm in the two speed vacuum cylinder. It took me a while to get things degrease and cleaned up enough to get some duct tape to stick, but it got me home without failing again. I managed to find a couple part numbers to get a replacement. So far, I'm coming up with GM P/N: 3847058, and Bendix P/N: 374451. I found one on eBay for $35.00.

I still have to get some plugs, wires, cap & rotor and see if the distributor is working properly after sitting for so long. I almost had some the other day, but the kid behind the counter decided he was gonna be smart and talk down to me. So I just ended up walking out with nothing after telling him he needed to go back to school.

Even with getting that old 327 running better, it still isn't very well suited to be pulling a 30 foot bus around. I'm seriously considering selling it to finance an engine upgrade that would fit the bill a bit better. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 454 and a 5 speed transmission. I'm figuring that even with the bigger engine, it would be working less, and get better mileage. Heck, even if it got the same mileage, I'd be happy with better highway speeds and being able to sustain speed up the hills. I would like to pull my 65 Baja Bug with me once in a while too. Just pulling my bike seems to be a drag.

L8rs!
Bill
Attached Images

MjrBummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
MjrBummer

Re: 2 speed rear diaphram needed

Well, these part numbers aren't helping any. The Bendix P/N appears to be obsolete, the GM P/N isn't crossing to anything helpful. Does anybody have any updated part numbers?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
mrolds88

I would look into changing it to electric. Pretty sure my 70 is electric as was my 59 10400.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
MjrBummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolds88 View Post
I would look into changing it to electric. Pretty sure my 70 is electric as was my 59 10400.
That would eliminate the need for a lot of pluming. I'll have to get under there and get the grease cleaned off and find some numbers.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjrBummer View Post
Well, these part numbers aren't helping any. The Bendix P/N appears to be obsolete, the GM P/N isn't crossing to anything helpful. Does anybody have any updated part numbers?

Thanks,
Bill
If no one responds soon there is a parts expert over at Stovebolt.com who is real good at older, hard to find parts. Just check in at the "Big Bolts" forum.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Deerelindel

Have any fleetpride part distributors around you, if so they may be able to get your parts.

1968 GMC 1 ton 4*4 with Detroit Diesel 6v53t 9ft stepside

1978 Chevrolet C50 350sb 8ft fleetside
Deerelindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
MjrBummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerelindel View Post
Have any fleetpride part distributors around you, if so they may be able to get your parts.
Yes, there is a Fleet Pride here in town. I called them yesterday, but they need axle numbers, etc. I found one on eBay and it should be here sometime middle of next week or so.

Slowly but surely, I'm getting this thing squared away.

Bill.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
kwmech

www.sixstates.com
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
MjrBummer

Well, I did manage to get one off of eBay for $35.00. Fit perfectly.

He had these P/N's listed: GM#3847058 and BENDIX#374451

Neither of which helped with finding it locally.

Now it time to pick up the new vacuum advance, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and an oil change.

That should pep her up a bit, seeing as how the vacuum advance on the distributor wasn't working at all and leaking vacuum.

Bill
Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #10
mrolds88

Well at least the vacuum advance will be easier to get..... Might look into an HEI too. Reliable and an easy mod. Only have to change one wire.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
MjrBummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolds88 View Post
Well at least the vacuum advance will be easier to get..... Might look into an HEI too. Reliable and an easy mod. Only have to change one wire.
HEI would be nice, but I have no room between the firewall and distributor to fit one in. I plan on converting the internals to solid state later. For now, the points and condenser are working well.

Bill